New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

Any Suggestions On Calibre

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  cory 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, Im relatively new to the sport and want to go deer hunting in 2011. As I am currently a student, i was looking at a low cost entry-level rifle. I had my eye on a Savage Axis .308 and was wwondering what everyone has to say about that idea.... Anyways thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Jensen

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
What Sako said.... I bought a new Remington 30-06 last fall, but that was my choice/ preference.. The .308 is a good caliber for NB and also is lighter recoiling gun.. I know guys that hate to shoot the 30-06 due to the recoil but like to shoot the .308... but again what Sako said, everyone has an opinion, nothing wrong with a .308

#5 ·
I think you have chosen a great caliber. ....... And if you are looking for deals (assuming you can find inventory) now is a better time than a couple weeks before hunting season to look.

A sporterized Enfield can be had quite easily for under $200 drilled and tapped for a scope ..... That would be a 303 though, still a great round for NB.

There are lots of on line sources for new and used firearms.

#11 ·
I agree 100%, they are cheap, tough and accurate, if you get a good one.I have one and it has became my #1 gun for big game.Its not pretty and doesn't have a scope, but it has never failed even at some good distances.When it hits, the hunt is over, and the prey generally don't move much farther then a step as well.Just my opinion but its a good starter without getting into a lot of money.

#8 ·
my sentiments exactly.The perfect deer calibre imho.I have a .270,.30-06,.300 savage and .30-30 and the .270 is my fav.Lighter recoil than the .06 and flatter shooting.There's nothing wrong with choosing .308 either but stay away from the axis.Consider a weatherby vanguard,marlin xs7,savage 11 as a few examples.All priced decent and very capable deer rifles.

#9 ·
I'm not a big fan of the Axis, model 11 is a much better firearm. But some other rifles worth looking at are listed above and should include the Stevens, and T/C's Venture. The Venture is a bit more money than the rest but a lot more rifle than any listed. It's really great that there are so many entry level rifles available and most are a great value.

#10 ·
If its a deer hunting caliber your looking for IMO .243 and 25-06 would be ideal that being said there is nothing wrong with bigger caliber just don't sell the lighter ones short.

There are many web sites to go to for reviews take the time to surf the web and get a broad look at different brands.
FWIW check the date on the reviews because rifles change but names don't (example The first Mossberg ATR that came out were really poor quality but the last few years they have greatly improved and are a really good shooting gun)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.