New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
According to the preliminary count the total was 5366 deer harvested

The majority 3400 were harvested in Southern New-Brunswick

'"'The majority of the deer harvested were yearlings"" as per NB Deer Biologist Joe Kennedy

He also mentionned that the estimated deer population before the season was at 57,700

Great deer management we have, shoot the yearling and pray for no snow......so we can do it all over again with less forest every year,

she is coming to an end, I for one did not spend my money on that Bullshit license, first time since I was 16 years old that I did not buy my license to hunt as I could not keep participating in this focked up goverment lack of management / vision of our deer herd.

I don't understand hunters having the need to shoot yearlings, are they that desperate for meat or is it just for bragging rights ? or maybe too many have the attitude if they don't shoot it someone else will...pathetic hunters......

·
Registered
174 Posts
How do they know the "majority" of deer killed were yearlings? Most registration stations do not take the jaw for aging purposes.

The statement is probably correct but I think the majority of the harvest EVERY year is yearlings and something like 25% mature bucks....so what has changed?

I don't understand hunters having the need to shoot yearlings, are they that desperate for meat or is it just for bragging rights ? or maybe too many have the attitude if they don't shoot it someone else will...pathetic hunters......
LOL have you ever compared a 5.5 year old buck deer steak to a yearling buck steak....that's part of the reason why!

Im with you on not shooting yearling bucks but that's a personal decision and dont agree with shitting on someone who wants a decent piece of meat for their freezer.

This nuisance deer tag system has got to stop. Farmers are claiming damage on their crops and getting a number of tags based on the size of their property and not based on the amount of damage. People need to stop shooting doe's! There are so many hunters out there that think theres way too many doe's around and would rather shoot one of them than a young buck. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Soon there will be no deer left to justify a Deer Season just like the North of the Province, for how many years now ? 20 / 25 years if not more, people are blind and only think of today.....the government set the rules and managed the deer herd up North as they are doing in the South and let the industry deplete the forest until it was all gone and did not think twice about deer hunting....the same is happening here, wake the fock up people, even if the government says it is ok to shoot doe's it doesn't mean we need to shoot them.......or the yearlings as well....you are playing right into their hands.....if you can afford to buy a gun and shells and spend xx amount of dollars in gas and all the time invested to shoot a yearling by George go to Sobey's and get yourself some hamburg it will taste better and be cheaper......same goes for fishing...buy a focking license to throw the fish back in the water.....who does this shiit.....who would go to a movie and sit in the dark for 2 hrs and go home happy.....watching Joe Kennedy videos explain why there are no deer left and he can't mention clear cuts and spraying.......works for us in the government and can't even answer our questions.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Nothing has changed, the numbers of yearlings vs mature is similar, we just had more yearling buck in the harvest this year because we had an extremely easy winter last year so more survived the winter. As to the age they get the numbers from Biocheck stations where the deer are actually weighed and have a tooth pulled for aging.

The farmers aren't getting many nuisance tags. It is the towns and cities that are harvesting the majority of nuisance deer, probably something like 10X but the numbers aren't out yet

·
Registered
612 Posts
You are right nothing as changed, with Hunting attitude that is......nobody seems to be concerned with the actual amount of deer remaining in the province (57,700) people just keep blasting away, all for 40lbs of meat.....idiots if you ask me....same people will be trying, crying to invade private land shortly....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have hunted for almost 40 years and also not purchased a tag in the last 2 years, my reasons were the lack of deer, I just could not justify shooting one when their numbers are so low.

When I was young , in the spring we could see deer in the hundreds out in every field near home now you see the odd few, so days none. In my travels to work and such I will normally see about a deer a day average. Last year between April and Oct I saw 6 total !!! This year not much better, in fact saw not even one for almost 3 months.

In my opinion a few major contributing factors:

1 Lack of food and cover .....between Irving cutting and spraying and the loss of small farms due to big corporations taking over there is no where near the habitat there used to be.

2. Kill off.........bad winters, coyotes, road kill and over-hunting

The Government has got to wise up and do something or there will be no deer left, for them it is just a revenue stream, as long as hunters are buying licenses they are happy. Irving will be happy when the deer are gone then he can clear cut the whole province.

Another issue is the guys that shoot multiple deer a year and have their wives, mothers and other relatives tag them..........you know who you are. If you have no other way of feeding yourself ,ok, but in most cases this is not true. Unless we have another extremely easy winter like last year the deer are going to take another beating, if that happens, next year lets all NOT buy a deer tag, instead buy a varmint license and go shoot coyotes. That way everybody still gets out and the deer get a chance.

If something does not change soon you will see a draw for deer tags, just like for moose.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I guess it just hasn't occurred t them yet how much they could make off a general deer hunting draw or else they figure hunters would bulk at it. Plus they would actually have to admit there is a problem aside from the winter weather and coyotes.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
You are right nothing as changed, with Hunting attitude that is......nobody seems to be concerned with the actual amount of deer remaining in the province (57,700) people just keep blasting away, all for 40lbs of meat.....idiots if you ask me....same people will be trying, crying to invade private land shortly....
I watched (and scoped, and even removed the safety on one :) ) a few smaller bucks with does the last part of my season this year....
Decided to pass and let them go...Was nice enough to start seeing some deer again in the area..maybe next year. :)
plus I didnt really need deer meat in the freezer....So really it was a no brainer, and thus twas no deer for me this fall..

• Upvote
Reactions: anticostiguide
1 - 9 of 9 Posts