New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been gettin any grouse yet this year? I have been out twice now in zone 20 where I normally see birds And haven't seen a darn thing?

·
Registered
271 Posts
same here, i got a honey hole that has been empty last year and also this year, normaly i walk out with about 2-3 partridges each time ...

·
Registered
202 Posts
So it's not just me, same here in Albert County, not a bird to be found in my usual spots. Not good when you can walk up to an apple tree and not find a bird in or near it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've only been out a couple of times since the season opened but have been seeing a few birds each time. Seems to be about the norm for me. I'm in Carleton Co.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been pushing 4-5 each time out with the dog, and a few woodcock. Saturday after the rain, we pushed 10.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Overall better than last year, so far anyway.

Very few thorn plums this year which they like to be in right now. Check out alternative food sources.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Seen a few birds everytime I go out but haven't been able to get a shot. Nothing gets the ticker beating a bit faster when one takes off right beside you!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
I have seen hundreds of 'em this summer, scouting for moose,,,more than I normally see out there, so for me, I would say the numbers are up....dry spring we had and all up here.

I saw 25 one day moose hunting going to / from my hunting area.

As far as hunting, well, everybody seems to think they vanished, but they probably only backed out a little with the hords of freakin' ATVs going everywhere...I'd rather walk thank you very much. What rattles my cage are the guys going out for a spin, get their bag limit, back at the trailer, and out for more. Some guys get a lot of birds in a week's camping like that....birds you and I and our kids don't get to see or enjoy.......greedy and illegal.

I got one behind the house on Monday, never saw none last nite short drive with the wife and kids (nice cow moose made up for it), my dad got 3 yesterday at high noon.

Good luck to all,

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm 4(shot) for 6(seen).Not bad.Got 2 with my daughter and 2 with my son.2 in birch trees,1 in hawthorn bushes and one filling up on acorns

·
Registered
202 Posts
After a week of hunting I managed to finally find some birds, for whatever reason in this part of Albert County they're on the top of the mountains, flushed 3 within a short distance without getting a shot off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The pup and I put up 2 Grouse and about a dozen woodcock yesterday. Unfortunately he did a better job in finding them then I did in shooting them. I probably would have only seen 3 or 4 woodcock and no grouse without the dog.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My son and I went out yesterday and I shot six. I was quite surprised due to the wind etc. Overall, the birds cost roughly $10.00 a pound or more in gas but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pretty good numbers around my area, but alot of hunters - My wife and I and daughter went out yesterday for a drive. I just wanted to drive out to my camp and check things over, really didn't expect to see much, with the high winds, and we didn't leave until one, but we saw seven in three hours, and my wife shot three. I find the better birding here to be after thanksgiving - once the leaves are off and you can see better, and also less bird hunters around after the first few weekends.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I went out Saturday to throw out a salt block and some apples. One almost flew into my truck on the way in and flushed a couple others but I didn't get a shot off. I was spending too much time lugging apples and looking for deer signs. Seems to be a good number this year from what I have seen. I might go out before work sometime this week to another place I know. I don't really like shooting where I deer hunt, spooking the deer this close to rifle season

1 - 20 of 36 Posts