New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out for a walk this weekend. I came across an active bear bait. My first thought was, this is great, some idiot is baiting bears in a place that people use the access to go fishing. This is very dangerous for the unsuspecting. I looked around and saw the ladder stand that was empty. I made a lot of noise to make sure nothing was still close and started looking around. What a mess, there were plastic pails and other garbage all through the woods in every direction for 100 yards. This was not all new as some was obviously from previous years. I have found this exact same scenario at lots of bear stands in the past when deer scouting or hunting. So you tell me, are they slobs that don't give a crap about others or what is your take?

Coyote Jack

·
Registered
304 Posts
coyote jack some people thats how they live at home also so they leave all junk at bait site its too bad we do our best to keep it clean and some people leave everything behind and dont care. baiting bear can be simple and clean bread some pastry in a pal and molasses in container very simple or in barrel no mess. keep the outdoors clean makes sense right

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After 116 views I thought that there would be more responses. But I do agree. I have always looked at it as the woods are my home during hunting season. I better keep it clean.

Coyote Jack

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
For sure...nothing worse than plastic bags everywhere...

Same for the a**holes that see any backwoods road as their own private dump site...

·
Registered
431 Posts
cleaned up a few over the years that I've found on my or Dad's woodlots.

once a treestand from one bait site followed me home.

I left a note and the guy called my dad looking for it wondering "......why your young fella would steal someone's stand"

Dad gave it back after the mess was cleaned up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have found a few also that have had garbage all over place .And seen others that have them all cleaned up pretty much like they find them . The other thing that gets me is people that leave their beer cans by the brooks ,streams, and back roads when out for the day

·
Registered
627 Posts
Can't speak about all bear baiters, but the ones in my neck of the woods are pigs. Maybe the province needs to handle Crown Lands the same as Protected Areas. Bait stations are allowed 2 weeks before the season and must be removed no later than 2 weeks after the season closes. All signs of bear baiting activity must be removed.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
2 before / 2 after ..

I see nothing wrong with that scenario..

It makes sense to me..

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
I agree on that point also..

Just the use of the license number and now its traceable..

·
Registered
867 Posts
cleaned up a few over the years that I've found on my or Dad's woodlots.
once a treestand from one bait site followed me home.
I left a note and the guy called my dad looking for it wondering "......why your young fella would steal someone's stand"
Dad gave it back after the mess was cleaned up.
Good one!
All of the suggestions thus far are reasonable IMO,ie;2 weeks +/-,stands ID with name and/or #,clean it up,registered stands.....all of these rules are already in the regs in AB,and pretty sure NS requires bait sites be registered also?In addition to requiring hunters/guides/outfitters to post their ID at the actual bait site in AB,it's also required to post "active bear bait" warning signs in the immediate area for other forest users to avoid.
Having dabbled in the bear guiding biz p/t for a few years in my former life,I'm happy to say that my partner and I went to great lengths to remove any non-food items from our baits,and only actual food/biodegradables were ever left on site,other then the actual buckets/barrels.Dumping garbage,plastic bags,paper wrappers etc that bears are gonna scatter all thru the woods is just plain lazy or stupid or both.We maintained 12-15 active sites for a few years and kept them clean,surely even a slob can keep one or two sites clean.
I actually think registering sites with DNR is a great idea along with setting a minimum distance regulation from other registered bear baits to avoid conflicts,say 1km minimum,preferably 2km?That would have saved us a lot of aggravation and conflict,and makes for a better quality hunt for both parties.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts