New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi gentlemen and ladies...
In a recent "anti-hunting response" post I made, Soldier commented about howw provincial newspapers are "leftist" anti-hunting publications. I believe he is right and that doesn't make any sense in a "presdominantly rural" province where so many residents hunt for so many different species of wildlife. As some of you might know, I used to write a weekly outdoors column for the TJ, Gleaner and Oromocto Post and did so for approx. ten years. My columnss were sometimes controversial, dealing with a host of "hot. sensitive" topics like Firsst Nations hunting accountability, poaching, lack of DNR budget for Enforcement staff, the Firearms registry and rampant, ill-conceived forestry practices but I wrote them as I saw them and always sought readers input on them. Outdoorsmen and women always welcomed my columnss although I'm sure they didn't agree with them at times. Often, outdoorsmen would contact me with an issue or concern and I'd do a column dealing with that issue, raising public awareness and asking the questions that needed to be asked. Many hunters and outdoorsmen and women relied on me to be their voice and I thoroughly enjoyed being that. Eventually, the newspaper owners and editors, not a hunter amongst them and failing to recognize or understand our issues, cancelled my columns stating that there was "no demand' for such a column in the province. To placate the numerous column fans throughout the province, they replaced my columns for a while with "soft outdoors columns" by other writers, who wrote about birds, camping, skiing and how the weather might affect outdoors activities. Eventually, they opted for the "David Susuki's" and other celeb syndicated columns...I always wondered why you can pick up a newspaper in Maine or New Hampshire, Vermont...or other states or other Canadian provinces like Manitoba, BC, Sask and Alberta and find real outdoors hunting columns in them. So...my question today...obviously a loaded one on my part...why don't New Brunswick Newspapers want such hunting/outdoors columns? They should help sell newspapers while giving sportsmen and women a voice once more! Thanks, Soldier for bringing this up!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I agree, and believe that the papers are very biased. I find them anti-hunting, and anti-gun, and is part of the reason I don't buy them.

Going out on a limb, and sort of off topic, I find the National Media CBC very anti-hunting/gun.

The local newspaper here is owned by Irving, and I personally believe they would be more interested in cutting all the trees down than assist in wildlife management. Hunting does not make Irving money, so this is why I feel that they are very biased anti-hunting/gun.

I also think that hunters are very scattered, and unorganized. A look at the No Crossbows topic highlights this. If hunters had an organization, not 82 of them, but a single organization that we all, or most of us belonged to, our voices would be heard very clearly. Government would certainly perk up and listen to our unified voice. Non-Hunters would get the real facts, not the media regurgitated slanted and mostly incorrect versions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You hit it right on. Irving owns most media in this province and hunters can be a thorn in this corporation’s side. They are out rapping our forest and the average Joe does not see this. Hunters do. Irving does not want any of this to get out so the average Joe can see it. They quietly keep paying off the politicians and they keep allowing him to clear cut and then spray our province all the while picking apart one of our greatest resources. So to sum up, it does not surprise me to hear that Irving has put a stop to any articles in regards to outdoor activities that may shed light on what they are doing to our forest. I mean we are talking about a corporation that runs this province. They get anything they want in this province, including having whatever government party elected that they choose.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
No they're not. It is us the hunting community that doesn't speak out.

If we don't claim our rights, educate the community and take a stance and fight for our privileges, we're gonna see our hunting heritage dwindle to a trickle.

Local french paper L'Acadie Nouvelle had a lot of moose hunt coverage (front page, page 1, 2 and 3) for a solid week after the 3 day moose hunt, an indication that at least some media still puts in content regarded by its readership.

For higher volume publications, do hunters actually take the time to send in TASTEFULL pics, along with a good hunting story to be considered in publication? I'm sure if we were less hostile to the idea of promoting our sport, they would consider insertion in media.

I for one am tempted in sending in more pics of wildlife, and promoting the fact that I'm a hunter and I was privileged enough to see / get close / understand game behavior and take those pics. To me, this is how we are gonna win the non-hunting public (not the antis, the NON-HUNTING community....big difference).

Education and awareness are key elements IMHO.

Good topic Predator One.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Bulls Eye is on the right track. I really don't think they block hunting and fishing related topics..they just don't have many of them to write about.
I have emailed letters to the editor in to the times transcript and they were all published

You just have to keep it clean accurate and non offensive and I am sure they will publish it if its warranted

·
Registered
358 Posts
Bulls Eye is on the right track. I really don't think they block hunting and fishing related topics..they just don't have many of them to write about.
I have emailed letters to the editor in to the times transcript and they were all published

You just have to keep it clean accurate and non offensive and I am sure they will publish it if its warranted
I know for a fact that Irvings hunt ducks . . . don't know about the rest of the wild game. But I wouldn't say they are biased against guns or hunting. Heck, Jack Irving had a massive gun collection when he died. I think it comes down to a lack of space in the paper to run stuff.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Irvings donate MILLIONS to DU, so I find it hard to believe they are anti hunting.
All you have to do is look at the list of donors in DU's annual report. It's all there for anyone to read. One year I counted over $10 million donated by various Irvings and their various companies IN ONE YEAR. I honestly wonder if the hatred for the Irvings that some of you guys harbour in your hearts is affecting your judgment. Hate them if you want, but do you really need to make up stuff in order to do it?
As many of you know, I personally (Jim Foster) write a weekly hunting/fishing/atving/snowmobiling/whatever column in the Moncton newspaper. Most columns are about hunting. We also have a fourth generation salmon guide, Rodney Colford doing a weekly fishing column. And also everyone's longtime favourite, Everett Mosher, is all about hunting and he also appears weekly in our pages. What other newspaper, radio station, TV station does that?
At the start and at the end of every hunting or fishing season, we have a story in the news section of the newspaper announcing such and explaining to readers why these things are so important to so many NBers.
We publish the deer/moose stats after every season, every year, no exceptions. We do stories on the economic impact of hunting, fishing, etc.... We do interviews with everyone connected to hunting from biologists and government ministers to hunters and trappers.
While my column is most often what you might call "soft" (it's designed to entertain and inform, not stir the pot. I'm not afraid to do so, in fact I enjoy it
, but it's the way the boss wants it and he signs my paycheques after all) anyway, we will still tackle tough issues in our news pages like conflicts between trappers and dog owners, arguments over season lengths and quota numbers and Sunday hunting and bass in Miramichi Lake and coyote issues and native hunting and on and on it goes. I know. I'm the guy who writes them. If you're not seeing them, perhaps you're not picking up a newspaper and reading it? How else could you possibly miss all of it?

I can't talk for any of the other NB papers. I can only talk about mine. I don't give a **** about other NB papers. If 'Acadie Poubelle
wants to run daily photos of dead moose and call it news coverage, bully for them. I prefer informing readers, both hunters and (perhaps more importantly) non-hunters, why the moose hunt is so important and why so many moose hunters are unhappy with the moose draw. If you don't agree, so be it. That is your right and I respect that.

It's laughable to say we don't cover hunting issues because the Irvings cut trees. Do you honestly believe that folks who run a hands-on multi-billion-dollar enterprise spend their time every day deciding what appears in their newspaper? They pay other people to make those decisions. I don't think I've seen anyone from the family even inside this building so far this year. So much for their influencing what appears in our pages.
If you are dissatisfied with coverage, then pick up a phone or a pen or a keyboard and contact the editor. There are damn few in the newspaper business in this province who hunt, and so logically they have no idea of the demand for more hunting coverage -- unless you tell them.
As for the T&T, there isn't a newspaper on the east coast that does more hunting coverage and there are very few in all of Canada that do it better. If you know of one, please point me in its direction so I can personally make it my mission to see to it that we top their hunting coverage.

Most often when folks tell me they aren't happy with the amount of coverage of hunting in our paper, I cite several examples of our coverage and get funny looks back because it turns out they don't even buy the damned product. Pick up a copy, have a look, and only then you can argue from a position of power. In my view, the customer is always right. If you're not a customer, why are you concerned about the "lack" of hunting coverage in a newspaper you don't read? Anyway, you are always free to contact the managing editor or news editor with constructive suggestions to make it better. All suggestions gratefully considered. Their email addresses and phone numbers are on the page that has the editorials on it. (It varies from one paper to another.) Or PM me personally. Or drop in for a coffee. Sorry but they don't let me drink beer during work hours.

I hope this loooooooong reply was somewhat helpful. Sometimes the perception has no basis in reality, and as far as I'm concerned, this is one of those cases. Cheers....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lobsterman

I'd agree that the T&T is better than any other paper i the area in giving space to folks who write about Hunting and Fishing. Point of fact some friends and I were discussing this just a couple of weeks ago.

I'd also agree that some of that hatred you speak about causes folks to see Boogie men where perhaps there are none .... relatively speaking.

To be honest I don't read any of the NB english Daily papers on I guess, on a Daily basis though they do top the list of annoying telemarketer calls my house gets so maybe you can direct me to a link to Investigative stories, Editorials or even Op-Ed pieces where they discuss Spraying of Crown Land to rid the new growth of hardwood; or any stories about why it is the the Nashwaak river and a bunch of others turn brown after a big rain; Or someone questioning forestry companies being able to erect gates on Crown Land etc; or questioning the volumes that we allow cut on crown land when so many NB mills have closed .. that kind of thing.

I'm sure you are right and I've simply missed it and it has nothing to do with who owns the paper.

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Irving uses very good management practices in it's woods operations. They have conributed alot to the hunting community by building roads, leaving buffers and travel corridors as well as yarding areas. I laugh when people bash Irving and then they are the first people hunting a fresh cut block. I find this to be very hypocritical and it annoys the hell out of me.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks for that acknowledgment Bradley. I'm glad at least some hunters actually notice our efforts. It's greatly appreciated.

But ya see, this is the danger in responding in a positive manner to a post about hunting coverage in Irving papers: precisely as I as anticipated, the discussion instantly turns into someone challenging me to defend Irving's news coverage of their own forestry practices.
There are lots of threads on here slamming Irving's forestry practices. Feel free to start more.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Interesting food for thought - but I subscribe to the Telegraph, and I guess I enjoy reading about current events and politics, world news, and the sports page. I also subscribe to Petersens Hunting and North American Whitetail to read about hunting. I dont see a need for a bunch of hunting articles in the news paper, there are hundreds of hunting periodicals to choose from if I want. I've never read any anti- hunting propaganda in the Telegraph. To say they are anti-hunting because they don't publish hunting articles may be far fetched. I know for a fact that the Irvings moose hunted with old Levi Grant out of their moose lake camp and in the Deersdale area, so I doubt they are anti's.

Good topic for conversation though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You are more than welcome for the acknowledgment Lobsterman it was completely sincere.

I'm going to assume that I didn't miss any of the stories that I was asking about --( precisely as I anticipated by the way .. but I remain prepared to eat those words should someone find an example for me.)

My point was not to single out the Forestry practices of Irving specifically but the management of crown timber by our Government.

The state and the fate of the White Tailed Deer and the Atlantic salmon for example in this province have been and going forward will be, in no small part, tied directly to these practices.....

There are NO stories in the newspapers you mentioned questioning these Management practices and discussing the consequences .... Feel free to write even one !

Then get back to me about how they are too busy running a hands-on-multi-billion-dollar enterprise to get involved in deciding what appears in their Newspaper.

·
Registered
163 Posts
well, ladies and gents...
First, I want to say that I appreciate your responses to my post. However, please let me clarify that my post was "NOT" intended to start a bashing session of the Irving family. I have met some of them on occasion and find that they are sincere in addressing the difficult balancing act of running a profitable business and creating employment in the forest industry while attempting to do so without affecting and harming our fish and wildlife. Perhaps my initial post should have read "Editors and Publishers" rather than "owners". At any rate, I respect your opinions and responses. And Lobsterman Jim, I wasn't ridiculing columnists who write "soft" non-controversial columns either.As you stated, "that's the way the boss wants it and he signs my pay cheques after all." I still feel that "most" news papers in the province fail to provide adequate outdoors coverage. They have no problem dealing with or publishing controversy (stirring the pot)when it comes to sports or governmental blunders or most other topics but mention something controversial when it comes down to our fish and wildlife...and the news media fades into the back ground...and I can't help but wonder why.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For the record, I do not dislike the Irving Family. Quite the contrary, they provide employment for a majority of people in this city, and are very important to the NB economy. I have personally sat across the table from the boys at DU Dinners, and have had great conversations with them.

I have also been down dirt roads in the 4x4 areas of the province and seen wastelands of nothing because to walk from the road to the tree line would take you an hour.

Is there a conspiracy to prevent the voices of hunters in the paper, likely not. However if they (the Editors) have the perception that people don't want to read about it, or would be upset with that information in there, you can bet it's not going in there.

Everyone loves a political pot stirring, we like to read about politicians getting caught in lies. That's why it is in there all the time.

Lobsterman, your correct. We, need to tell the 'Paper' that we would like to see more 'outdoor' stories, but 2 or 3 people telling them this will do absolutely nothing to change the status-quo. As for not buying the paper, and not being a customer, people buy media because it has something in it for them. I buy Bow Hunting magazine, because it has topics that interest me, not all of them, but some of them. I don't buy Châtelaine because I could not care less about 7 secrets to a flatter tummy.

Predator One;
They have no problem dealing with or publishing controversy (stirring the pot)when it comes to sports or governmental blunders or most other topics but mention something controversial when it comes down to our fish and wildlife...and the news media fades into the back ground...and I can't help but wonder why.
Perhaps it is not inflammatory enough, or it is a topic of a perceived minority.

These topics are fun, as long as people don't take things personally.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"I know for a fact that the Irvings moose hunted with old Levi Grant out of their moose lake camp "

- Levi guided the Irvings fishing and hunting for years , he was a nice man and the Irvings treated him well .

·
Registered
84 Posts
I read the Daily Gleaner every day and there is next to no coverage of hunting and fishing. Usually there would be a nice picture of a successful moose hunter and a short article about the moose hunt. This year I think there was a very short article with some stats of the moose hunt after it was all over. For those of you who are in the Moncton area consider yourselves lucky that you have some regular columns to read in that newspaper.

It's not hard to figure out why there isn't much in the paper about hunting and fishing. In my office of 200 or 300 people - I'm one of the very few that takes Oct. 1 off every year. I don't know of anyone else at least.

·
Registered
614 Posts
All good food for thought and I, for one, certainly take nothing personally.

I try to learn something from every conversation and I'm learning lots from this one.
Bradley I totally understand where you are coming from. But put yourself in my mukluks and ask yourself, if you were me, if you'd wade into that topic.
That's why I pointed you towards the many other threads on that subject. Upon re-reading my post, it sounded rather harsh. That was unintentional. My sincere apologies.
My beef is not with anyone who says "I don't like your coverage." I don't cry in my pillow if someone says, "You suck at what you do." And I don't need a therapist when I hear someone say, "I'm not interested in what you are doing." (Yes, I would care. But that's life, right?)
I will rush to the defence though when someone says the Moncton paper doesn't cover hunting, or the folks that own it are anti-hunting.
It just ain't so!
As well, don't forget that the Letters to the Editor section is the most-read part of almost every newspaper. If you can put your thoughts down on this forum, then you have the ability to do it there as well. I wish more hunters would do it. It shows other readers and newspaper editors that we are bigger in number than they might think, and that we matter. Some of the folks here are already doing this and my hat's off to yas. Good job! I shake my head though when someone writes a letter along the lines of, "Why don't those evil hunters get their meat at the grocery store, so that no animals have to die..." and only one or two hunters respond. Or worse, none at all.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You gotta be kidding?You can't seriously beleive that do you?Spoken like a true company man?

Not to single out Irving...but ALL of the big Crown lease holders have almost irreversably altered the face of the landscape for the worse.They don't give rat's a$$ about hunter access or deer habitat.They build roads to haul out wood,not to open access to hunting,which in my opinion,has been the ruination of our crown forests which are nothing more than a gridwork of logging roads anymore.It's near impossible to get lost in the woods anymore,because one can't walk for 1km in any direction without intersecting a haul road,pipeline,powerlinr,or ATV trail.Most areas of southern NB that were tough to access 25 years ago,either by hiking or flying in,can now be driven to in the family mini-van without scraping your muffler.There is no more "core" wilderness for game to take refuge in.Yarding areas have been flattened,healthy diverse forest ecosystems replaced by mono-culture tree farms that offer no benefit to wildlife,and the "buffer zones" you mention are the bare minimum allowable as they cut as close as they dare to any and all watercourses.Those wonderful cut blocks you mention might provide decent browse for a very few short years after harvest,then they are sprayed with herbicide to kill all of the beneficial growth to make way for yet more monoculture softwood farms.
Take a look at the demographics,how WT deer are distributed throughout NB.The trend has completely reversed over the last few decades.NB is approximately 50/50 Crown vs. private land.at one time,70% of our healthy,200,000+ strong deer herd lived on Crown land/30% lived on private.Gradually it shifted to 50/50,and now 70% of our weak and dwindling herd lives on well managed private woodlots,agricultural belts,and city suburbs.The Crown forests are no longer suitable habitat for WTs....the lumber barons have starved them out and opened the forests so much that those few deer remaining are always vulnerable to road hunters.

Back on topic,the left wing,liberal,anti-gun media across this entire country leans towards anti-hunting and gun control.....always has,always will.For every article and editorial showcasing hunting in a positive perspective,there are a dozen negative articles,that are quite often full of mis-information and outright BS.
"Very" well put! I agree entirely.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts