New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've been wondering if anyone does a trajectory chart anymore for their set-ups, used to be common practise at one time when we had slower bows and before internet calculators
, so you would know if you could slip your shaft over that limb or through that pocket. Now it seems many believe fast bows compensate for the need to know their trajectories. While they certain help they don't negate it entirely. Here is a simplified model out to 40 yards, just plug in your numbers to get an idea.

http://www.outdoorsden.com/archery/archbal.asp

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That OnTarget software has a tab for this also.
Yeah I've been playing around with that one some and looked at it again last night but I'm doing something wrong as I only get the drop from zero meters and can't seem to get it to zero from a particular yardage even when I put a yardage in.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Banned
159 Posts
I'll look at it more tonight and see if I can figure it out. I've been mostly playing around with the spine matching portion of the program.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Try putting in your arrow "impact" distance (basically your pin sight in distance (say 30))
then put in the "Max" distance you want the chart to display (we'll say 50), then hit the "=" sign beside the "Impact window" to update chart.

the chart will then show you all the data out to 50yds in the chart with the zero @ 30yds.

(at least im not the only one that studies the arrow tracjetory -- even have card printed our in my hunting gear
)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big thank you Mu'in!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Keep in mind that ontarget will be idealistic based on the database selections. I went out and sighted my bow in for my aluminum arrows in preparation for last weekends shoot in SJ. Ontarget was showing a flatter trajectory then I was getting in practice. What i did was sight in for 10, 20 and 30 meters then with each seting I hsoot 3 arrows from 5 to 30 meters in 5 meter increments. I recorded the offset of the 3 shot groups for each scenario and then compared the results with ontarget. For example, where it said i should be 5 inches high i was 8 inches. From my results it looked like my arrows arc was higher in mid flight leading me to beleive my arrows speed was lower then calculated. Anyone have a chrono?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually do a tracjectory chart with my actual set-up and then punch in my numbers to see what the speed is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts