New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to figure out arrow speed approx.based on poundage,draw length,arrow weight,arrow drop between different yardages.Just curious.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you do a trajectory chart with your set-up 20, 30, 40 etc. then you can figure your speed base on drop at different yardages. Kind of the reverse of plugging speed in and getting trajectory readings.

When I bought my G5 Me sight there was a sheet that gave different pin settings based on speed. Then if you didn't know it, just shoot it and adjust the pins until they work based on the setting and it would tell you at what speed the pins were set for. That was how I figured I was right around 260 fps. when I turned my bow down to 53lbs. Pins set-up was just a hair below 260fp/s, pinwheel program says I'm at 262 f/s. I can get 272 through the Chronograph when it was cranked to 61lbs so I figure the other ways are pretty close!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried the backcountry bowhunting calculator,IBO is 321 fps,arrow weight approx.365 grains,draw length 29,draw weight 50lbs,put 4grains for peep wasnt sure how much to allow for peep,arrow speed calculated was 266.8. Sound right? bow is Hoyt Alpha Max 32

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
ya Probably a litle slower then id add like 20 grains instead of 4 The thing is i think for every inch of draw below 30 you lose like 10 fps and every pound below 70 you lose 2.4 fps so your losing like 58 fps rite there, and if your bow isnt in perfect tune you will lose alot more but still 260 fps is more then enough for anything around here. The only reason I like speed is for the flatter trajectory. not because it kills better put a montech or slick trick on that arrow and your all set for anything in NB

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
While I think 53lbs would get 'er done I would turn it up to 60lbs if I was going after moose just for the added piece of mind. I wouldn't worry about it if I had to stick to 53lbs because of an injury though.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
But alpha max I wouldnt worry about it at all cuz what the chances your gonna get a moose liscence anyways, Deer dont like anything over 45lbs in this province.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts