New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we had a blast, every day we were seeing (feilds) around 150 deer a day, and a avg of 10 deer (woods) a day, we were only aloud to hunt forest during that time a year, we baited the first day and hunted the third day, shot 3 bucks de fourth day and one the nest day...buck scores at 137'' to 176''

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll tell my story, it was the second day of the hunt, 10am heard a buck grunt, after a while he blew at me (bad wind) that was all for the day....next day i was pumped up to sit in my blind, crisp cold morning around -10, at around 10:30 had a deer on my right side stomping her foot. could not see her cause of the blind, she was around 10 feet from me, 10 minute latter all hell broke loose in back of the wood line, it was like a stampede of hooves....6 does come across the cut, then i heard what i was waiting for,... a grunt, then i new i had a buck around, still some running in back of me, after 5 min or so, 2 other doe's came out with the buck chassing them, could'nt get the shot....Dang! so i looked out at the bait there was 3 doe's eating and looking towards the litle tiket where the buck went in, suddenly the 3 does took of, look at the bait there was the buck....the rest is history....14 points 140'' my best buck ever...

·
Banned
348 Posts
Congrats. Where in Sask were you hunting? So on average one can expect to see around 10 deer per day in the woods? I friends daughter lives in Saskatoon and we were thinking of going out sometime, but don't have private land to hunt on. I was thinking of driving up above Prince Albert to the woods.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Awesome bucks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the comments, ....we can see at the lease 3 to 6 mature bucks in a day, and in the deep woods of Sask, we have seen bigger ones too but after we have all shot...
. one day while driving and scouting for new spots for next year we seen 6 bucks on the road, one of them would have gone over 180'' ill try and get pics of him off my video cam or just put the hole video on youtube....

thanks....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweeeeet...I am so jealous.Gotta get myself out there one of these years.

I "heard" that Sask is going to require guides for CDN non-res hunters soon(if not already?)...any truth to that?
nope not yet but they are talking about a draw system...but no guides....outfitters dont want that, anyone could be a guide and charge some $$$

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok...i'm confused?

Why would the outfitters be opposed to a mandatory guide requirement?As it is,I could go to SK tommorrow on a DIY hunt,no guide/no outfitter.If guides were required,wouldn't most people book through an outfitter?
most of them are for it, and some are against it.
The problem is that Résident canadians would go with anyone they know, outfitters have a number of tags allocated to them and they are expensive to get, so any joe can be a guide for anybody aint good for them...it wont change a thing for outfitters at all, the only thing maybe is less hunters in the woods, and that equals less $$$ for small community's around where we hunt. The Residents of Sask have over 2 months of hunting, canadian resident 1 week (in feilds) and 1 month in the forest, (not many locals hunt the forest at all) so whats the problem....it mostly outfitters that are pushing this, because they bait all fall, and we get up there and bait 1 km from them and kill ''theyre'' big bucks and they go crazy....LOL, but in the area we hunt the outfitters are very nice and dont give us trouble at all...

·
Banned
348 Posts
Hey MooseBuck,

I was looking at teh antlers closely and it looks as if pic 2 and 4 bucks might have the same genetics (same father or father and son). Actually, even pic 3 could fall into that category. How far away were teh deer shot? Apparently hunters can get a deer DNA done for about $70-80 (but I'm not willing to pay it
)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Saskabush for 2011 is no longer offering non resident tags to all canadians. They are going with the same system as Alberta which is a hunter host program. There has been alot of complaining done to the gov in sask about non residents hunting, people trespassing, shooting from the road, etc. S this new system makes the hunter host responsible for the hunters actions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Saskabush for 2011 is no longer offering non resident tags to all canadians. They are going with the same system as Alberta which is a hunter host program. There has been alot of complaining done to the gov in sask about non residents hunting, people trespassing, shooting from the road, etc. S this new system makes the hunter host responsible for the hunters actions.
Nope no hunter host, if theyre is change it will be from a draw system by zone....

·
Registered
925 Posts
Saskatchewan basically has 20 000 more hunters and 300 000 more deer than New Brunswick. You think they would be happy to people come in and take some deer off the land.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts