New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
we get ours from our local butcher in our area, once the weather stay's below freezing for extended periods we put it in plastic tote boxes and add water to freeze it into blocks, it makes the bait last alot longer and the crow's and ravens can't just lug it off they will pick at it creating lot's of comotion at our site's to draw coyote's attention

·
Registered
614 Posts
Last year I got a dead calf by stopping and chatting with a random farmer who was out in his yard.
Told him I was coyote hunting and was wondering if there were any around.
One thing led to another in our conversation, next thing you know there's a dead cow in the back of my truck.
The girlfriend was impressed.

Never met a farmer yet that likes coyotes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just go to the DNR office in Dieppe and ask the Ranger staff where they trow there road kills....that should give you a few spots to hunt from.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Last year I got a dead calf by stopping and chatting with a random farmer who was out in his yard.
Told him I was coyote hunting and was wondering if there were any around.
One thing led to another in our conversation, next thing you know there's a dead cow in the back of my truck.
The girlfriend was impressed.

Never met a farmer yet that likes coyotes.
LOL...Nothing like a dead cow in the truck....

·
Registered
9 Posts
LOL, I can still picture the WTF look I got when I came home all exited to have found a farmer to give my some dead stock, She just shook her head and said "whatever", lol, gotta love fresh bait.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Road kill from DNR,or beaver from your trapping friend i find best unless hunting near farms then cow parts or sometimes a whole cow if ya can haul it somewhere..if nothing else KFC boxes or Dixie Lee,what ever will work too ,No bait, call them in,they will come ,just have a little faith.... Good Luck,you`ll be hooked

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone know anywheres where a fella could get some coyote bait
I have a lead on some bait.

I will have to drive a bit to get a full 3/4 ton truck load.

I may go get a load either tomorrow or Saturday. I will get an exact cost for my fuel.

Am prepared to dole out a few garbage cans full to those interested on a pro rata fee to help cover fuel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
just picked up 2 garbage bins full of cow scraps from the butcher today...check i tomrrow real quick and hopefully they hit it and get out to hunt them on monday after i thrrow out another load of bait...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
just picked up 2 garbage bins full of cow scraps from the butcher today...check i tomrrow real quick and hopefully they hit it and get out to hunt them on monday after i thrrow out another load of bait...
Dont expect them to hit it that quick!!
They are a clever animal...A.K.A. Predator!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dont expect them to hit it that quick!!
They are a clever animal...A.K.A. Predator!!
Yea it usually takes a few days sometimes especially if it is a first time bait location.

But on old bait sites they just keep coming back looking for a snack. Sometimes for months.

I put bait out for the first this year last Friday the 31st and more last Monday , they were hitting it Tuesday and yesterday morning the 6th I had 7 there at the same time.

Never saw so many at a bait at the same time in my 20 years of shooting yotes over bait.

I did not shoot. I have learned never to shoot when more than 1 is at bait. All you do is educate the one you never shot. They pick up on the shooting over bait drill real fast.

They become wary,and less comfortable being near the bait during daylight hours.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yea it usually takes a few days sometimes especially if it is a first time bait location.

But on old bait sites they just keep coming back looking for a snack. Sometimes for months.

I put bait out for the first this year last Friday the 31st and more last Monday , they were hitting it Tuesday and yesterday morning the 6th I had 7 there at the same time.

Never saw so many at a bait at the same time in my 20 years of shooting yotes over bait.

I did not shoot. I have learned never to shoot when more than 1 is at bait. All you do is educate the one you never shot. They pick up on the shooting over bait drill real fast.

They become wary,and less comfortable being near the bait during daylight hours.
oh they hit it hard last night thats for sure...almost all of it gone and 6 different tracks coming in from all different directions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts