New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baiting behaviour
Does nearby baiting change deers behaviour?
Not at all13.70%
Depends on the time of year00.00%
Depends on amount of natural food available1140.74%
Totally dude!!1037.04%
Somewhat518.52%

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bait a little, just enough to get them to stop for a possible shot. Sometimes the deers pattern changes to match the normal food source and that time of year when they frolic. Sometimes I wonder if just haveing a lot of hunters in the woods chasing birds and sitting up stands with or without bait for rifle season throws them off their routine.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I cant see how it wouldbt have an effect. Id say they know what goes on in thier home and when thier surroundings change id guess they change too.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Was hunting deer yesterday and a women and two dogs and a kid walked down the rail road tracks litteraly 20 yards past my stand and not even 10 min after they walked by yealling and whistiling and laughing I had a 5 point buck come down walk right under my stand and then crossed the tracks. Deer wot feel pressured if they are use to something.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I think the if your hunting an area where there is not alot of human movement except during the fall then as soon as the woods open up for the hunters the deer notice and it takes them a bit to get back to a routine. Baiting I believe will throw them off a bit if they have no other major food source but in the area I hunt the bait I put out isn't the main course and its more just to keep them around and slow them down as they pass through.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think baiting makes a definite impact. Since I started baiting our food plot, I have moved the trail they follow 150 yards. They never used to come through where I am baiting, but since I have started, it is beat down like a highway. Also the very fact that we are using baits that may not be available in the immediate area, (apples in a hardwood stand) it changes their pattern to include the bait plot.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Baiting deer should be illegal imho,especially so given the current state of our deer herd.We'd see how many "hunters" fill their tags year after year then when it takes scouting,woodsmanship,and actual hunting skill to find deer consistantly.
I have seen alot of guys not get anything over apples,baiting does not gaurantee a deer.Pretty harsh statement to make about baiting and not having hunting skills,and woodsmanship.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Absolutely it changes their behavior and movement patterns...that's the whole idea of baiting isn't it?....to attract them to a specific location and have them frequent it more often than they normally would?Probably not so much in a food rich environ like an agricultural area or where there are lots of wild apples,but in a big woods scenario where apples are the only alternative to natural browse for miles around...of course it does.

Baiting deer should be illegal imho,especially so given the current state of our deer herd.We'd see how many "hunters" fill their tags year after year then when it takes scouting,woodsmanship,and actual hunting skill to find deer consistantly.
Bold move to call the guy who throws out a few apples to stop a deer up a "hunter" in brackets. Wondering what your opinion is on food plots and salt licks? If you are going to start drawing lines in the sand then I want to know what a field of clover/alfalfa/corn etc. that used to be forested land falls under. Interested in your opinion and how this relates to QDMA.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I dont have any problems shooting ducks in the dekes?
What could make you think that just because others hunt different than you it is "unsportsmanlike conduct"? The real problem is one type of hunter thinking they are better than others just because they do things differently. The attitudes of people really surpise me sometimes??

·
Registered
495 Posts
You know,like one might do with a scent bomb?
If you are opposed to baiting, then using anything at all that is not naturally occurring without your putting it there; scents, of any sort, rattles, grunters, etc... is being hypocritical. Your baiting the deer in with an expectation of getting lucky. Just because you choose not to use a pile of apples in your hunting area does not make you a better or worse hunter. It means that you choose to hunt in a different way. Also, if shooting ducks in the dekes puts food on the table, so be it, its better than have a cripple fly off to die slowly somewhere where recovery is impossible.

For some of us, hunting is not a 'sport' but a means of putting food on the table, skeet is a sport so the unsportsmanlike reference means nothing unless your shooting skeet.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Huh?I don't see how lugging apples has anything whatsoever to do with QDM,nor does it make one a skillful deer hunter,no matter how many trophy bucks one shoots with there heads in an apple pile.
You missed my point. I didn't say that lugging apples has anything to do with QDM; however, food plots and improving forage does. I will meet you over in the new forum Bowtech started to continue this discussion if you want.

·
Registered
314 Posts
All I can say is who cares how you shoot your deer,long as it is not by jacking ,I could care less.We all love to be in the woods,either sitting watching a apple pile or still hunting through the woods.As hunters we all take pride in our skill levels,and our ethics,and woodmanship.Don't judge people by how they hunt,as long as it is with in the law,that should be all that matters.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
.... ... ...
Ya know,there's a novel idea?For the amount of time,money,and effort that I see some putting into lugging apples for a couple weeks every year,they could've planted a dozen apple trees with less cost and effort that would benefit generations of deer and deer hunters alike,not to mention partridge,bears,squirrels,and all sorts of other wildlife.
BTW, the apples are from my own trees, what they don't get by my stands, they get from the ground under my apple trees, mostly from the ground under my trees. I'm talking the same deer here. So I guess I am kinda feeding them all summer/fall. Also, have you priced decent apple trees from a nursery?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For sale or trade(for woodsmanship skills). 6 Stealth Cams complete with 12V lead acid batteries, steel bear boxes and 1 dozen SD cards. Also I have a couple 45 gallon drums of bait apples to give away! Come and get em boys!

No smat_$$ remarks about the Stealth Cams, BT!
I'll buy all that, can't trade, parrently ain't got no woodsman skills... where r u?

G

·
Jeez girlscout....your moody !! Hate to be the guy married to you...lighten up girlfriend !!!

You'll never land/hang onto a guy being that way all the time.

Like my momma always said...."Men are either horny or hungry...if he don't have an erection..make him a sandwich"

·
Registered
699 Posts
Jeez girlscout....your moody !! Hate to be the guy married to you...lighten up girlfriend !!!

You'll never land/hang onto a guy being that way all the time.

Like my momma always said...."Men are either horny or hungry...if he don't have an erection..make him a sandwich"
gotta agree with Tracey on this one Girlscout....CHILL OUT GIRLFRIEND!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts