New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

Baiting affects on Deers patterns

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  I'M a Proffesional 
#1 ·
Baiting behaviour
Does nearby baiting change deers behaviour?
Not at all13.70%
Depends on the time of year00.00%
Depends on amount of natural food available1140.74%
Totally dude!!1037.04%
Somewhat518.52%

#2 ·
I bait a little, just enough to get them to stop for a possible shot. Sometimes the deers pattern changes to match the normal food source and that time of year when they frolic. Sometimes I wonder if just haveing a lot of hunters in the woods chasing birds and sitting up stands with or without bait for rifle season throws them off their routine.

#4 ·
Was hunting deer yesterday and a women and two dogs and a kid walked down the rail road tracks litteraly 20 yards past my stand and not even 10 min after they walked by yealling and whistiling and laughing I had a 5 point buck come down walk right under my stand and then crossed the tracks. Deer wot feel pressured if they are use to something.

#5 ·
I think the if your hunting an area where there is not alot of human movement except during the fall then as soon as the woods open up for the hunters the deer notice and it takes them a bit to get back to a routine. Baiting I believe will throw them off a bit if they have no other major food source but in the area I hunt the bait I put out isn't the main course and its more just to keep them around and slow them down as they pass through.

#6 ·
I think baiting makes a definite impact. Since I started baiting our food plot, I have moved the trail they follow 150 yards. They never used to come through where I am baiting, but since I have started, it is beat down like a highway. Also the very fact that we are using baits that may not be available in the immediate area, (apples in a hardwood stand) it changes their pattern to include the bait plot.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·

Baiting deer should be illegal imho,especially so given the current state of our deer herd.We'd see how many "hunters" fill their tags year after year then when it takes scouting,woodsmanship,and actual hunting skill to find deer consistantly.
I have seen alot of guys not get anything over apples,baiting does not gaurantee a deer.Pretty harsh statement to make about baiting and not having hunting skills,and woodsmanship.

#10 ·
I dont have any problems shooting ducks in the dekes?
What could make you think that just because others hunt different than you it is "unsportsmanlike conduct"? The real problem is one type of hunter thinking they are better than others just because they do things differently. The attitudes of people really surpise me sometimes??

#14 ·
All I can say is who cares how you shoot your deer,long as it is not by jacking ,I could care less.We all love to be in the woods,either sitting watching a apple pile or still hunting through the woods.As hunters we all take pride in our skill levels,and our ethics,and woodmanship.Don't judge people by how they hunt,as long as it is with in the law,that should be all that matters.

#16 ·
For sale or trade(for woodsmanship skills). 6 Stealth Cams complete with 12V lead acid batteries, steel bear boxes and 1 dozen SD cards. Also I have a couple 45 gallon drums of bait apples to give away! Come and get em boys!

No smat_$$ remarks about the Stealth Cams, BT!
I'll buy all that, can't trade, parrently ain't got no woodsman skills... where r u?

G
#17 ·
Jeez girlscout....your moody !! Hate to be the guy married to you...lighten up girlfriend !!!

You'll never land/hang onto a guy being that way all the time.

Like my momma always said...."Men are either horny or hungry...if he don't have an erection..make him a sandwich"

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
.Don't play the "we count on the meat" card...nope,don't even go there unless you live in the sticks,use grampa's old .303 to fire one shot out the kitchen window per year to collect your deer,butcher it yourself,and still make it to work on time that morning.$38 deer licence and $1.50 for a .303 cartridge.....now that's some cheap meat.If you put any more effort than that into collecting wild meat,the price per pound starts skyrocketing.
Close, I have a 12 gauge (Purchased in 1937), Deer rifle (purchased 1914), .22 Remington bolt action (Purchased 1939) all purchased by my Grandfather, and handed down.

All of them bought long before my time. I have had the same box of ammo for my deer rifle for over 20 years. I think I have 5 bullets remaining. I have 3 slugs, and 5 SSG shells for my 12, that I have had almost as long. I can say that I have fired thousands and thousands of shots through my .22 and have a box for that. I mainly bow hunt now, at least arrows are reusable, and broad heads after you resharpen them.

Shooting a deer out my window can't be done any more, we now have neighbours. In the 70's It was nothing to walk out the back door, and drop a deer.

My annual grocery store meat bill is under $300 and the meat in my home is mostly game meat, or fish. Now if I could keep the critters out of my garden, I would be able to grow my own food, further reducing my annual grocery bill.

So, yes, there are some of us that hunt and trap for sustenance, not because of lack of money, but because its healthier for you.
and I do actually butcher and wrap all of my own game kills.

Oh, and you could not pay me enough to eat KFC. Last time that crossed my table had to send my ex to the hospital in an ambulance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.