New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys - As always, by word of mouth you hear good and bad about pretty much anything, and often have to resort to your own experiences and those of the people you trust. So - with that in mind - i know that they guys in Macadam sell lots of rifles, and set lots of them up too (base, rings & scope etc). What are people's experiences there? What about different grades or rifles ($500 rifles vs $2000 rifles). Are they among the best out there, or are there other preferred options?

LET ME BE CLEAR - with my limited experiences there i have no problems with these guys - i'm just looking for input.

Thanks for your help!!

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Ive always had good service from the gundealer.

you can get a decent shooting rifle for under 500.00
the stevens 200 work great.

as for 2000.00 rifles i can help ya there

never spent that much on one ..

Im sure a 2000.00 rifle would be a darn nice piece of work, but not something id carry around in the bush...

BTW brownings are my choice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ive always had good service from the gundealer.

you can get a decent shooting rifle for under 500.00
the stevens 200 work great.

as for 2000.00 rifles i can help ya there

never spent that much on one ..

Im sure a 2000.00 rifle would be a darn nice piece of work, but not something id carry around in the bush...

BTW brownings are my choice.
I use and trust Gord Whitman at blue Mountain sports, I've bought several guns and scopes off him, and I have shopped all over the province to compare. He will tell you straight about value and cost of a $500 rifle vs a $2000 rifle. I believe the gundealer is a good spot as well. best advice...research. Which you are doing right now.
Goodluck!

·
Banned
116 Posts
The Gun dealer has ALWAYS treated me VERY well, and have matched or beaten any other company adds. I usually spend between 500 to 1200.00 for my firearms, you get what you pay for. he is a little out of the way, but worth the drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slinger tell me more about this cost & value on the different price ranges? i am always open to hear people's input. to be sure, there will be people reading this who would NEVER spend over 1000 on a rifle, and others that wouldn't consider anything less, so, from an open minded approach, what is his take?

PS - i know that this could EASILY take pages and hours to debate, and i wouldn't expect you to take the time for that, so i was just wondering what the bottom line was.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well I guess I will take the bait and be the first to talk negative about Falconers!!
But We All Know I'm Never Lost For Words!!

Started off ohhhh about 5 years ago. I was in the market for a new pair of Browning Gore-tex hunting boots, call Ross up. Ohhh ya we have them in stock pal and if your willing to drive all the way from Miramichi(close to 4hrs) then we will treat you good. So I fill the car full of gas, drive down there,sit the boots on the counter to pay for them...5% off!!!
Can You F'in Imagine!!!

Not that I was looking for a deal, but when a man gives you his word you kinda take it right? Least thats how I was brought up.

Anyways last spring I called him up again(dont ask me why cause I could of got it elsewhere for same price, but its nice to support local when possible)looking for Rem 870. Ya Ya we have it here. So I fill out over the phone all the info and he says we will have that shipped out today for ya...Right On.
7 Business days later I call(should of only take 2 or 3 max)...Ya Ross just wondering where my 870 is.
Ohhhhh ya forgot to call you pal, the one I have in stock is 28"bbl and you want the 26" right.(had to bring it in...2 more weeks)
Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Fa****k I was livid to say the least!!!!

So I guess I'm just one person, and I know there is alot of people that like the place. IMO the reason he does so well is that he has such a Quantity on hand, and we live in a world now where everybody wants something NOW!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can not comment on any NB dealers because I have never bought a rifle from them. As far as the diference between a 500.00 rifle and a 2000.00 rifle well...you are going to get into things like fit and finish, quality of the stock material, whether hardwood stained to look like walnut or real walnut or if synthetic a cheap fiberglass stock as opposed to a real quality composite. The quality and depth of the bluing will be vastly different as will the smoothness of the mechanical parts. A 500.00 rifle is like buying a basic economy car, it works, is efficient and effective, a 2000.00 rifle is like buying a midsize car, it works is somewhat more appealing and is generally a better quality purchase.

Personally I have gotten rid of a dozen or so rifles the last year or so, I am down to 2: (1) a M700 based CDLSF customized to Ackley Improved, and smithed extensively for accuracy, this is my large game hunting rifle, replacement cost well in excess of the 2000.00 mark when all the work is paid for, the second I just picked up last week, a .20 tactical again a M700 action, thumbhole varmint stock stock , gilliard match barrel, action trued etc etc...replacement cost again in excess of 2000.00

Through careful purchasing and negotiating I have the pair for less than 2000.00, I am to the point where I would rather have a couple I am really proud of than 10 hohum rifles that everyone has, just me.

Most important thing I believe is by one that FITS when dressed how you will use it, wearing a tshirt in the shop to fit a rifle to be used for deer hunting with heavey clothes is useless, second is buy what you want the first time even if you have to wait to get it. Next is buy quality glass or the rifle will be useless when you need it most, IE: that miserable wet rainy/snowy day back in the swamp when a monster steps out and the only thing your scope shows is a cute rendition of how wet it is!!! Been there learned that!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
From the experience I have had with the gun dealer I have found that his rifles and target shotshells are at a fair price, but if you want a good deal you definately have to negotiate. Most other things in the store like scopes, ammo, clothing, calls, and reloading supplies are way over priced, they can be negotiated a bit but still way too high. And he will tell you he has in stock whatever you ask for, but when you get there its not always there and he will try to sell you something else.

I will buy a rifle from him, but I will order the scope, rings, bases and pretty much everything else from somewhere else.

I think he would do alot more business if the prices on everything did not have to be negotiated down to get a fair price, alot of people dont want to have to haggle to get a fair price when they have drove a long ways to get there.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
. And he will tell you he has in stock whatever you ask for, but when you get there its not always there and he will try to sell you something else.
That There My Friend Is a Poor Way To Run a Business!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hello guys - i really do enjoy all of the conversation - but most specifically what i'm looking for here with my original post is how these guys make out mounting bases & rings. i'm considering a Finnlight with optilock rings and bases, along with a mid range leupold scope - so - do i get it mounted there where i bought it, or should i consider a different solution? i do not feel that i am up to the task of this seemingly simple project - but the costs are too high to risk even the slightest mistake on my part.

Thanks -

·
Registered
220 Posts
They will deal but you will have to know what the going price is going into it. Myself I always ask for the best price possible and if I dont get it I go to where it is, no messing around.
They do have many racks to look at and what man doesnt like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I go into the GunDealer at least two or three times a month and get treated very well. I’ve bought rifles, scopes, shotguns, ammo, etc. there and have had no problems. BUT, I know in advance that I’m going to have to do some negotiation and I very rarely even consider purchasing any accessories such as clothing as they are definitely over priced on anything other than the items that I mentioned above. Also, they are not in any way gunsmiths and will likely over charge for mounting a scope. Mounting a scope is normally not that difficult, have you considered doing it yourself? If not may be a friend can give you a hand doing so, otherwise you should probably find a gunsmith somewhere to mount the scope for you. There are plenty of them around who would do it for you at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ha this is funny!.

Well here's my take on the Gun Dealer. I to try and support local but with experiences like this I must say I do look elsewhere out of province.

Here goes! First time - living in Fredericton when in University early fall 1995. Not much money but did save up to buy a new scope that summer. Called Ross Faulkner and see if he has Leupold turn in bases and rings. Early September. Oh yeah for sure not a problem but they will only be in some time at the start of October. NOt a problem. Told him to put some aside for me in Matte black and medium heigth. CAll him just after moose season. Says they will be in in a week not to worry. For sure but haven't got the scope mounted yet. Call again next friday. Still nothing arrived. So it's the week before gun season now and I'm suppose to go out the first day of gun season. Still no rings or bases or scope mounted, Not even a chance to get to the range and no phone calls. It's now Wednesday afternoon and I call him up. HE guarantees me he will have them shipped by bus to Fredericton on Friday. Says his shipment should be in on Thursday. WEll guess what. Still nothing on Friday. No phone call so I call him up and ask if my stuff is on the bus. He has nothing in stock but makes up some bullcrap about the items are going to arrive by courier Friday evening. So now I need them on my gun on Saturday so I can sight my rifle in and go hunting on Monday. He guarantees me that if I drive up Friday afternoon that he will have my rings and bases and even install and bore sight for free. So being a poor student LOL! I take my drinking money for the weekend
and fill the truck with gas. Drive like a nut to McAdam and arrive shortly before 5:00 pm. Still no rings and then they try and mix and match a bunch of used ones in a tray. So their entire mentality is to just get my scope on and in the woods for monday morning. I'm just about ready to lean over the counter and rip his frigging nose off. I'm in a bind and it's Friday. I just want my scope installed. So after a mix and match of a leupold base with another brand name base and some used simmons turn in rings I get the scope installed and then the moron goes to his cash register to ring up the total. He tells me some stupid price. I tell him that when the new Matte finish Leupolds arrive that I would pay him and walked out. NEVER did see those rings or bases and come to find out you shouldn't mix and match leupold bases with different brand name turn in rings such as simmons. They are not all made to fit into each other. A hard lesson learned a few years later when one broke and I missed the biggest buck of my life after 8 shots fired at him in a field.

Second situation - was trying to buy some Browning rings and bases for my new Stainless Stalker 300 WSM in 2002. Went locally to Field and Fly in Moncton. The owner unknown to me was buying the browning items from The Gun Dealer. So I order medium rings and bases in matte black finish. First set arrives. Package opened for the bases. Check mark indicating Gloss is scratched out and the Matte one checked off by someone's pen. The Rings are the same deal. From high to medium being checked off. After looking at them further I notice one base is gloss black and the other Matte Black. So now I'm pissed at Field and Fly and then find out where the rings and bases came from. So I personnally call Ross Faulkner. He gives me some B.S. about if I'm not satisfied to send them back by bus and he'll give me a refund but doesn't offer to get me new packaged ones. I tell him I don't want a refund but rather the items I ordered. He tells me that I'm too hard to deal with and would rather not.

So I call Browning Canada in Quebec and get in touch with someone high up. I tell him the entire story and what has happened. I also mentioned that I could have easily shopped online through LeBaron and got the same thing with no hassels. I told him the Gun Dealer would not give me service. Well holy smokes doesn't Ross Faulkner call me the next day at home and start's ripping me on the the phone. Cursing and swearing and freaking out. I imagine the guy from Browning threatened to take away his Browning Dealership. The only words out of my mouth were "That's what you get for being a ****" "Go F#$R# yourself A-hole" and hung up. Browning CAnada had LeBaron send me a set the next day by Courier.

I hope Ross get's to read this. Isn't it great how freedom of speech comes back to haunt you.
I hope his shop closes down!

And my cousin had similar issues with getting scope rings and bases the same year as did a good friend of mine for his 300WSM.

That's what happens when you try and run a grocery store and know more about turnips then guns. Looks good on you Ross buddy!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

Hawooooooooooooooooooo Ca'monnnnnnnnnnnn

·
Registered
69 Posts
I totally agree with Wonksy, when the TC Encore first came out, i called right up, wanted one bad, and didnt care how much i payed for it, long story short, after a year yes a year of him telling me it would be here next week, i found one else where.
I have only been there once, called a few times for prices on things which i didnt buy, needless to say i dont take there slogan "will not be undersold" to heart. I called for a set of Grand Slam rings which are $27 at Cabelas. Well they wanted $49.99. Plus $15 shipping.

I made the trip from Miramichi Once and will never EVER make the trip again.

• Upvote
Reactions: wonksy

·
Registered
317 Posts
hello guys - i really do enjoy all of the conversation - but most specifically what i'm looking for here with my original post is how these guys make out mounting bases & rings. i'm considering a Finnlight with optilock rings and bases, along with a mid range leupold scope - so - do i get it mounted there where i bought it, or should i consider a different solution? i do not feel that i am up to the task of this seemingly simple project - but the costs are too high to risk even the slightest mistake on my part.

Thanks -
I cant speak for how good the gun dealer is at mounting your scope for you, ive never had them mount a scope for me, but have had wholesale sports put on scopes for me before and was never too impressed, in general as funney as this sounds I think a gun store where you buy your rifle and even the scope is the worst place to have your scope mounted. If you do it yourself I guarantee you will take more care in mounting your scope than anyone else will. Everything you need to know will be in the instructions. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself I would just get someone who is experianced to give you a hand with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't have any major issues with the Gun Dealer but I can understand why guys like BuckNut and some of my hunting buddies have issues with service from the Gun Dealer.

I purchased a new Sako with a VX3 Leupold scope this past fall. Everything went ok but we had a difficult time trying to find a decent setup with bases and rings for the lowest mount possible. We tried different variations (I'm a real fan of the Leupold dual dovetail bases) but couldn't find what I was looking for right away. After an hour and a half of screwing around we found something that I was satisfied with but I know he would have let me walk out of there with a course mount job if I wasn't fussy. I even did the install job and the boresighting there myself and he didn't seem to mind because he saw I knew what I was doing. All in all not a big deal but I guess he's able to skimp a little on the service since being the largest firearms dealer in Atlantic Canada.

I would recommend anyone to mount and boresight their own scope and have a competent friend assist them if need be.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Great choice on your rifle, Justin. I had the screws screwed on a rifle I had purchased with a scope on it. I mount them myself , now. I'd take Scanner up on his offer. It isn't that big a job with the right screwdriver and a bit of time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not a hard job at all Justin.
I have done over a dozen.
Now I would never let anyone touch any of my scopes.
I have heard and seen some horror stories over the years.
I have also worked on many other guys scopes that the so called experts had on crooked,loose,loose bases.
Take scanner up on his offer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts