New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

Bear Bait

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  NBmudman 
#1 ·
What types of bait is everyone having best luck with this spring?

#2 ·
I was using chicken, breads/pastries and popcorn, some molasses and some honey burns
(also some salmon heads tied in mesh bag, hung in a tree)

#6 ·
Oats mixed with bulk mollases, and donut seconds from dunsters, also gallons of frier grease dumped all over the ground, they will track this through the woods for miles!Great advice!Have you ever tried "sweet feed".I used to do the Oats and molasses, which works well, but the sweet feed is already premixed.The cheapest one that works extremely well is called- coarse beef builder.I always have a very strong stink-call lure-bait at all my set-ups as well.If placed properly not only will it keep callin bears, but it will help with human scent issues.

#7 ·
What types of bait is everyone having best luck with this spring?It depends on how many baits you are runnin and how much competition you have.The lower post mentions ideal baits.Ex- if buddy down the road has a barrel full of Donuts and molasses, the bears probably won't spend as much time at your bait, in hunting hours, say if your just usin grease.I like to feed the bears.A lot of guys bait everyday, puttin out just a little.If you can get the bait, feed them real good for at least, a week and a half.Use grease as well as your "feed" bait, let the bait go empty for a few days and let them dig at the grease, and tear everything up, then start putting out just a little, to try to talk a big boar out in the shootin light.I don't hunt much until the rut, in at which time I want bait there all the time to keep Sows in the area.The last few big boars I got never touched the bait, they were just followin sows

#10 ·
I started with fish and have slowely moved more towards apples, bread, and donuts. using molases on top of it all. this is my first year bear hunting, but in the past years hunting deer i have more pictures of bear than anything, which is what made me want to hunt them. As far as competition, I have none. Theres hundreds of un-hunted acres out back of my place so thats not an issue. They just dont seem to pay any attention to the bait! I am very careful to leave it scent free, and move quick and quiet whenever I check the bait. there are tracks in the area, just not near my bait or cameras. I have sunday off so i am going to prepare 15-20 different baits mentioned above and see how the next couple weeks go! Hopefully something will start moving around. I will keep you all posted and thanks again for the help!

#11 ·
I started with fish and have slowely moved more towards apples, bread, and donuts. using molases on top of it all. this is my first year bear hunting, but in the past years hunting deer i have more pictures of bear than anything, which is what made me want to hunt them. As far as competition, I have none. Theres hundreds of un-hunted acres out back of my place so thats not an issue. They just dont seem to pay any attention to the bait! I am very careful to leave it scent free, and move quick and quiet whenever I check the bait. there are tracks in the area, just not near my bait or cameras. I have sunday off so i am going to prepare 15-20 different baits mentioned above and see how the next couple weeks go! Hopefully something will start moving around. I will keep you all posted and thanks again for the help!The bait your using will work fine, just get a good call bait, any kind of flesh.put it in a plastic bag till it starts to smell.Make up a five gallon pail, so it can be wired shut, hang this in a tree between your stand and the bait.By placin it this way the strong smell will help hide your scent.

#12 ·
It's their rut right now and every year about this time sites tend to go cold for a bit.
Don't get discouraged and keep fresh bait there...
They know its there,just the sows are nervous and the boars aren't interested in eating right now.

#14 ·
I got 5 different cameras setup on sunday so hopefully something will happen! Its just odd to me that i went the last 4-5 years getting daily pictures of bears, bait or no bait, and now i couldnt get a picture if i tried! But thats hunting for ya, wouldnt be any fun if it was easy

#15 ·
How close to your bait is there"fresh" bear sign.Five cameras is overkill.If you got a big educated Boar there, he won't put up with a lot of pressure.That's a good way to gettin him comin at night.You could luck out and get a big guy lookin for love,but you should never hunt with just the luck factor.Luck has it's place in hunting after everything else is done to the best of your abilities.

#16 ·
I used a mixture of spawn-filled smelts and lobster shells at both my baits this year, and both baits were hit, one hard. That was only a stink bait. For eating bait I used bread. They seemed to like it. Every once in a while I'd throw some syrup or pop on it, and soak it down with grease, to give them a treat.

#19 ·
Craig,

Have you used any Liquid Smoke or Vanilla Extract around your sites?
If not next time you bait get some or both and a sprayer,
walk in and around your sites for about 20+yds and spray...everything as high as you can with the sprayer.
Next time in you should be able to still smell this.
Another good addition may be red juice crystals from the dollarstore,pour these on/around your bait.
Make it smell good in there.

NBmudman...just going by what I have seen recently on a bear forum.
All the bears across the continent seem to disappear for a week or so during the spring season to rut.
Bait sites go cold,no pics or hits.
No spring hunt here so i have never actually experienced it for real.

#20 ·
Where are you located?Just wondering ?If you have no experience with spring hunting, why you would make such a statement?The biggest boars I've ever taken were durin the rut.Huntin at this time you'll see bears of all ages, and the most activity of the season, I'm not being negative, but your info. is false.Don't know where you got the info.Don't believe everything you hear.Ask any taxidermist when they get the bulk of their big bears.The rut goes on much longer than a week.The Boars will start rutting behavior in late May, and keep rutting to the end of July.A Boar will follow a sow for a week or more, before she starts to cycle.It is not uncommon to see a Sow in heat with a different Boar, say a few days after you've seen her with one.Having a good Bear population makes a difference.Not trying to rub ya the wrong way, just don't agree on false info., for someone who may be new to the game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.