New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its reeally early but what do people tink about having a team bear hunting contest this spring like the deer hunting one this year?? any takers? jsut for bragging rights of course

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds good to me. Hope that there are as many bears around this spring as early fall. The bears in my area were around early in the fall and then just vanish around the week before rifle season for deer. Two or three others I had talked to said the same thing. They had some around there camps that they were going to get rid of in rifle season. I was hopping to get lots of meat for the winter. Lets hope for a good spring.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i saw everyone talking about their teams and was wondering what it was all about? i knew it was about deer hunting but how and when do you enter? and do you count the score of the rack, or weight of the animal, or as it is just for fun is there no points kept. anyways, i'm in for a bear contest. it seeems like the winter is the only time i can go out behind the house and not see a bear or sign at least. hmmm..... wonder why that is???? i had at least 6 different bears on my camera last spring but never got time to get out hunting. this year i'm going to take a weeks holidays just for bears.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think its a good idea, as a pro taxidermist i might like to get involved in this one maby Kevin (ridge runner also). Bear is the big game most wanted in a trophy room now days, there is lots of time to set this up, now lets get our heads together.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm in, i was actually thinking about the shots i'd like to make on the base this year with my new rifle on a Big Spring Blackie..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya you said it Tom...lots of time so once we get some numbers we can figure something out...trying to think of a way to score points...weight seems to be the only one that comes to mind but not everybody has a scale...weapon of choice also will count...any ideas?

·
Registered
404 Posts
aren't bears scored by the measurements of the scull ?? that way you get a better indication of size and maturity of the animal . that same animal could weigh very diferently depending on how long you wait in the season before you kill it . I say boil the scull and take the picture of the measurement unless you want to mount it . or take all the measurements of the scull with the hide still on it for everyone.

·
Banned
348 Posts
I'm in. I think there should be big points for spot and stalk/no bait. Extra points for bows or crossbows (if rule comes in before the season). Basic points for FD weight and skull size.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I think I'll be going for my first bear this spring.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Saw a PILE of bears this year....
count me in...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've alway's told my buddie's they didn't know what they were missing, a few day's at the camp in the spring fishing during the morning's and hunting in the evening's and the wood's all to myself lol can't beat it, plus I got to enjoy a heck of alot of wildlife, count me in as well

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yep, bears still tramping around here in the snow. Saw several sets of fresh tracks this week. I'll be after them in the spring for sure.

We need to have two bear tags per license or something of the sort. Too many bear around must affect the newborn deer and moose to some extent.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm in also.Instead of weight(because unfortunately not everyone has access to a set of scales as stated above)maybe skull measurement and the square of the hide could be used.Also whether a bow or rifle was used.My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ya we will probly do it just like the deer contest from this fall....everyone just post if they want in and we will make random teams and see who can get the best bears..i cant guaruntee that i can be online often come the spring time so if someone els wants to take the the bull by the horns and start it feel free..if not then ill try to do it whn get some more free time

1 - 20 of 50 Posts