New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has made bear jerky? I know it needs to be heated to an internal temp of at least 160 deg due to bear trichinosis. I also heard that freezing at 0 deg F for 30 days kills the trich too?

Does anyone have any experience making jerky that can help me out. I use a electric food deyhdrator for my jerky and wanted to know if it is safe to use for BEAR jerky?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has made bear jerky? I know it needs to be heated to an internal temp of at least 160 deg due to bear trichinosis. I also heard that freezing at 0 deg F for 30 days kills the trich too?

Does anyone have any experience making jerky that can help me out. I use a electric food deyhdrator for my jerky and wanted to know if it is safe to use for BEAR jerky?
A guy made me some a few years back and it was delicious!!! He used a brine solution and cooked in a smoker. I dont think the electric food dehydrator is a good idea UNLESS it is the more expensive kind with a temp adjuster on it. Most dehydrators I know of go to 140 degrees with no adjustment.

It is Delicious!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I just have an electric dehydrator witha set temp setting, not sure what it is exactly but i would guess in the 140 deg range.

I think that I will stay away from making the jerky in my dehydrator then..

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ya, I just have an electric dehydrator witha set temp setting, not sure what it is exactly but i would guess in the 140 deg range.

I think that I will stay away from making the jerky in my dehydrator then..

Thanks for the help!
I also have one of hte cheap ones and in the instructions it says that wild game should be frozen for a period of 90 days. It is likely safe to do so after that time but I will let others speak up to confirm.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have made jerky from deer and moose meat that was definately not frozen for anywhere that period of time. Turned out great!!

As for bear I think I will be staying away!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I eat bear jerky once in awhile and can confirm it's some tasty. A bit oily, it squeeks a bit between my plastic teeth, LOL!
Sorry I don't know how buddy makes it, I'm only responding to confirm that it tastes very good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts