New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone seems to be big fans of bear hunting nowadays especialy the fact that bear hunts seem to be very marketable for the sport industries. That being said , some articles note how the bear population can be very detrimental to young fawns and moose calves . Newfoundland had said in something I read one time about how they were a major predator of there moose . I was just wondering with the obvious explosion of the NB bear population what the dnr or our members think about the effect it is having on our deer and moose populations .I know some guys hunt the odd bear but I had heard there were not as many non res hunters now because of the high can dollar and with the relatively expensive nb res licese coast I think this could spell future problems , almost like an other coyote (predator problem)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Heard that a few years ago a study done in NY state found that the #1 predator of white tail deer was the black bear. Mature bears hunt fawns.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bear meat is very good to eat and if you would just give it a try you would say so yourself.I like it in a roast with some onion soup mix.It tastes like pork with a little deer flavor.I guess that is the wild side of it.TRY it you will like it!

·
Registered
242 Posts
bears are predators and hard on young animals but as for the deer much worse problem is bobcat and now links they are worse then coyotes coyotes run in a pack to hunt deer and all will feed in order but cats kill feed hide what is left and kill again by themselfs not in packs and numbers are growing

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you look at fawn mortality then coyotes make up 50% of the mortality with bears at 30%, bobcats are way down the list and few mature deer will be taken by bobcats or bears.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look at fawn mortality then coyotes make up 50% of the mortality with bears at 30%, bobcats are way down the list and few mature deer will be taken by bobcats or bears.
I'd be interested to see for sure there efects in some areas I have in my area noticed a LOT more bears around last summer than coyotes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
DNR and UNB did a study on what coyote and bear killed for fawns a few years abck. If you ask, I'm sure you can get it. I actually got to help with that project - what a pile of fun (although I never did catch a fawn)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts