New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/natural_resources/news/news_release.2014.08.1024.html

Second bear hunting licence to be available, bear hunting season to be lengthened

11 August 2014

Media Contact(s)

Marc Belliveau, communications, Department of Natural Resources, 506-453-7928, [email protected].

FREDERICTON (GNB) - Hunters who have harvested a black bear will be allowed to buy a second hunting licence beginning this fall. The provincial government is also extending the annual firearms bear hunting season by two weeks.

These changes to the Hunting Regulation under the Fish and Wildlife Act will take effect Sept. 1.

"New Brunswick has a healthy and increasing black bear population estimated at more than 16,500 animals, which makes these changes to the hunting season possible," said Natural Resources Minister Paul Robichaud. "We are pleased to provide hunters with greater opportunities to engage in their sport in the upcoming season."

Residents will be permitted to buy a second licence immediately after having registered a black bear they have harvested. The second licence will be valid for the rest of the bear hunting season for that calendar year. The current bag-limit is one bear per calendar year.

In the case of non-residents, the purchase of a second licence will depend on availability directly from an outfitter or guide with an allocation of non-resident licences or from the Department of Natural Resources.

The fall firearms bear hunting season will start Sept. 1 and run until the first Saturday in November. The last full week of September will be restricted to bow and crossbow hunting, which will coincide with the new five-day moose hunting season.

The black bear harvest generates considerable interest among non-resident hunters and supports an outfitting industry that contributes $4 to 5 million annually to the provincial economy.

"These two measures will respond to interest among New Brunswickers as well as visitors to the province to take advantage of a sustainable bear hunt," said Robichaud.

An estimated 10 to 15 per cent of hunters who have harvested a bear say they are willing to buy a second licence.

The provincial government is responding to stakeholders such as the New Brunswick Wildlife Federation, which passed resolutions requesting that the department increase the opportunity to harvest black bears.

"The New Brunswick Wildlife Federation is pleased and supportive of the changes proposed by the Department of Natural Resources," said federation president Charles Leblanc. "Our members play an integral part in the management of a healthy bear population. Because of the increase in bear numbers in recent years, we believe that the harvest of a second bear will be beneficial. We ask the department to continue monitoring the bear population closely and we trust that the best scientific data will be used to maintain this valuable natural resource."

The provincial government is also responding to the New Brunswick Professional Outfitter Guide Association, which has requested a longer bear hunting season in September and the opportunity to sell a second hunting licence to clients who have previously harvested a bear.

"On behalf of the New Brunswick Professional Outfitters Guide Association, I thank the government and Department of Natural Resources for the changes made in the hunting regulations," said association president Dale Clark. "A five-day moose hunt and a two-week-longer bear season will make New Brunswick a desirable destination for hunting and fishing. The bonus of being able to purchase a second licence in the same calendar year will increase revenue and tourism to the province. This will also assist in controlling nuisance bears from a growing population."

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pretty cool with the second tag. Trying to keep all these dates straight maybe fun.

If I understand correctly

Bear season is now Sept 1-Nov 1 for firearms/bows,

except for the week of Sept 21 which is bow/crossbow only, and allows us to hunt bear during moose season now?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds right predatorhunter! That's the way I'm reading it...

I can tell you right now my wife is going to HATE the new changes. But I'm pretty excited! LOL.

·
Registered
360 Posts
great News... Bear's the main reason for fawn kills...... 3 years ago was a bear and cubs around this farmers field all summer and NOT one fawn in the fall...all dry does

Hopefully this will knock the population down and save some deer! :)

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Slug870-Yea thats what I understand it as. Get a bear early, go get another tag if you want.
Pred, I think in order to get your 2nd bear this fall, you need to have a spring harvest, the media release is not clear on this, but the proposition was.

I know I will be going for a second plate....cool stuff!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
I stand corrected, the newspaper article states ''immediately after'' (the media release quoted above as well), so I guess it's a go for an immediate 2nd bear, spring / spring; spring / fall or fall / fall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The one thing that is kinda on my mind is the bear bow week running the same time as moose season. Moose hunting is a really big deal in NB. And we have all heard stories before of conflicts in the woods between hunters during the moose season.

As a bear hunter I'm gonna be trying to put as much time in as I can. If I was moose hunting I would be putting a lot of time in as well of course.

Just saying hopefully everyone works together out there and stays safe and these changes in seasons don't come back to bite us all in the behind.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is huge news!! Now with a longer bear season/ extra tag, combined with a longer moose season and an apparent announcement forth coming about turkeys, NB is becoming a much more desirable place for a hunter. I'm sure Cabela's and BassPro are licking their chops also. Pretty exciting times.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha love it shedhunter! We'll have to see how successful I am this fall!

We'll come over to see you once we're staying at the camp more regularly... we've been spending too much time fishing this summer.

Not enough time for everything. Work keeps getting in the way! Haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally I am very upset with these last few changes to the regulations. In the article I read about being able to buy two bear licenses and extending the moose season they were saying that""A five-day moose hunt and a two-week-longer bear season will make New Brunswick a desirable destination for hunting and fishing". I agree with that for the next few years, but what about 10-15 years down the road? With the new regulation letting bear hunters in the woods during moose season, is this not just going to give poachers a valid reason to walk around the woods during moose season with a weapon? How many moose hunting groups are going to have a "bear hunter" with them?

With the moose season being extended, again I see a great positive for the hunters who got their license this year, or maybe next year, but again lets look ten years down the road. With an extended moose season the sucsess rate is going no where but up, so the moose population will go down, and the number of tags will do the same. I dont know about you guys but I would rather hunt for 3 days then not hunt at all.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Personally I am very upset with these last few changes to the regulations. In the article I read about being able to buy two bear licenses and extending the moose season they were saying that""A five-day moose hunt and a two-week-longer bear season will make New Brunswick a desirable destination for hunting and fishing". I agree with that for the next few years, but what about 10-15 years down the road? With the new regulation letting bear hunters in the woods during moose season, is this not just going to give poachers a valid reason to walk around the woods during moose season with a weapon? How many moose hunting groups are going to have a "bear hunter" with them?

With the moose season being extended, again I see a great positive for the hunters who got their license this year, or maybe next year, but again lets look ten years down the road. With an extended moose season the sucsess rate is going no where but up, so the moose population will go down, and the number of tags will do the same. I dont know about you guys but I would rather hunt for 3 days then not hunt at all.
I have to respectfully disagree with you.

It would seem that you have the point of view shared by way too many folks in this province - that people being allowed in the woods with rifles = poaching. This is NOT the way to govern/oversee/regulate law abiding firearms owners. It is this kind of opinion that stops me from being allowed to hunt coyotes with my 6.5x55.... Some people think that because a law abiding hunter is allowed to carry a caliber larger than .23, he/she will instantly become a poacher; not true! This province's laws regarding what caliber can be carried when are bullshit; plain and simple.

Why punish the many for a few idiots who cannot follow the rules? Why should I not be able to use for instance the 6.5x55 to make longer, confidently lethal shots on coyotes? I will tell you why - because some uneducated, uninformed law/regulation makers think that because I can only carry a caliber .23 or less, that suddenly I will automatically obey the law and not poach.....OPEN YOUR EYES FOLKS! There is a reason why the .22-250 is called the poacher's choice! Not being able to carry a caliber larger than .23 does NOTHING to stop poaching; period.

Anyway, all this to say that I strongly; yet respectfully, disagree with your point of view. I am very happy that I can now harvest two bears a year, and to be honest, I don't give a shit about the ridiculous moose season which most won't ever get drawn for anyway...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Gawd you took the words right outta my mouth...we live in the hunting dark ages....I hope this trend continues.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Slug870 I couldn't possibly agree with you more. It's that way of thinking that has kept NB way behind the rest of the pack for such a long time. It always seems like the average hunter/fisherman in this province is automatically a poacher until proven otherwise. Our regulations very often reflect this, and your example of varmint calibers is bang on.
I spoke to a guy recently who opposes the introduction of wild turkeys. His main reason was that poachers would kill them all before they could get established. I'm sure poachers will kill a few , but why punish the thousands of ethical hunters for the small percentage of those who might poach something. I think we really need to stop doing this to ourselves in this province. We are suckers for punishment.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts