New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to spot n stalk a bear? how often do you see a bear when doing it, and how often are you presented with a shot?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know many people that spot and stalk in NB, but in the spring of the year it is possible to do so. I'm no expert bear hunter but have been trying this method on both deer and bear since I started hunting. Deer is the hardest,everything has to be perfect(conditions,wind,and slow movements on the hunter's part)and a lot of luck. Bear is a little easier because they are short sighted and as long as you move slow and fairly quite you can get suprisingly close. In the early spring bear season the bears have to eat alot of grasses to get their digestive started again after the long fasting over winter,so anywhere there is a good supply of fresh green grass you will usually spot bears. The hardest part about this method of hunting is that most people don't know how tell males from females at a bait site so on the move can be even harder. But if you read up on the differances between the two it's not that hard. For an example, males have bigger broader heads than females who have skinny faces and longer ears than males(which male ears are rounder and more teddy bear looking)also males have a bit of a hump at the shoulders where females have more of a sway at the shoulders moving down the back. As for places to try this method of hunting you should try base gagetown on the petersville side, the bears are always walking the edges of the roads in that area starting as soon as the snow melts(we usually see 5-10 bears a day doing this). So I hope this was helpful to you and hope you drop a big ol boar come spring using the spot and stalk method GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've stalked a few.
Haven't been successful at killing one this way...yet... as we were just allowed to start doing this this passed fall.
I have done it alot for pics especially in the spring.

Spot the bear from distance.
Figure out if it is grazing or on the move,if it is on the move ...where is it going? (probably a food source or cover)
If it is headed for a food source try and get there first.
Optimally you want the sun in its face and wind in your favor...good luck with gettin both of those lined up

But it could happen.
When you start to approach them move purposely but if they look in your direction freeze/stop immediately and do not make direct eye contact even from a distance..try to appear as though you are not really paying attention to them.
Let them settle back down and go back to what they were doing,give them a few seconds/minutes as they will check back on you.
Take your time advancing but don't take too much time once you get closer.
If you can find a spot they are hitting frequently you can setup in a good closer position to start from vs a long distance and wait for them to arrive and maybe move closer to you and further from cover.
They are there to eat,even if they take off chances are they will come back shortly just not in the same spot,try not to pressure the same bear too many times at once or it will leave or go nocturnal.
If they are feeding there that evening chances are they will be back the next evening and possibly still there at first light.
Males will typically be by themselves or groups of 2-3 (family) and there may be several out in one field but not together,you will find these a bit harder to approach as their safety zones will be smaller but it works in your favor a bit because they are not only paying attention to you but the other bears as well.
Mommas with cubs will run as soon as they see you no matter how far away you are.
If you spot one from a vehicle don't stop or even slow down,keep driving get out and come back.

Before attempting this...get yer heart checked cuz it's a rush like no other.
Have fun,good luck and enjoy it...I certainly do!!!

Bow or rifle?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Stalking is the easy part.

Seriously though,in NB,there are precious few places where you can reasonably expect to see bears with any frequency or reliability without bait.Yes for sure there are a very few select habitats,seasons,and regions where you can see bears by just driving around and might pull off a succesful S&S rifle or bow hunt,but for the most part,they are reclusive,spooky,and fast.Look for wide open,first green-up spaces in the early spring and soft mast crops(apples) in the fall....other than that,hedge your bets on bait or be prepared to eat tag soup.Unless there is a rediculously high bear population in the area you are hunting,don't expect to see too many during legal hours without bait.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you have farmland it is quite easy to spot and stalk them. Check out back fields where either clover, corn or grain was or is growing. In spring try grassy fields.

If you spook them once from a field they will go nocturnal in that area, especially if you are on foot and get close to them.

Very habitual - once they find a good spot to feed they will return regularly.

In recent years often they will graze in daylight in plain sight of passing vehicles - about like deer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you have farmland it is quite easy to spot and stalk them. Check out back fields where either clover, corn or grain was or is growing. In spring try grassy fields.

If you spook them once from a field they will go nocturnal in that area, especially if you are on foot and get close to them.

Very habitual - once they find a good spot to feed they will return regularly.

In recent years often they will graze in daylight in plain sight of passing vehicles - about like deer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be using a bow probably.
Going to be around the Moncton area.
This is for next year.

I'll be going to school so I won't have the time to update a bait site regularly, so spot and stalk seems to be the only option.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'd be using a bow probably.
Going to be around the Moncton area.
This is for next year.

I'll be going to school so I won't have the time to update a bait site regularly, so spot and stalk seems to be the only option.
Baiting only takes 15 mins a day if you have a stand on your way to or from school.... of course, if you live in the city, that makes it a little harder. But I think you'll find that even if you just bait on your days off and then once in between you will have more success. Get a good molasses or honey burn, lay out a stink bait, and then bait them on say, wednesday and saturday, and sunday (if it's legal, I never bother anyway because I bait the other 6 days). You will at least see bears on a game camera.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Baiting only takes 15 mins a day if you have a stand on your way to or from school.... of course, if you live in the city, that makes it a little harder. But I think you'll find that even if you just bait on your days off and then once in between you will have more success. Get a good molasses or honey burn, lay out a stink bait, and then bait them on say, wednesday and saturday, and sunday (if it's legal, I never bother anyway because I bait the other 6 days). You will at least see bears on a game camera.

·
Registered
220 Posts
myself being only able to hunt bears on the weekends I try and go out and bait on Thursday night. This gives things a day to cool off and still have some bait there for friday night and saturday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts