New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone has ever tanned their own bear hides. I have done other animals but keep reading that bear are much more difficult to do. If Tom or RR can chirp in that would be great. Also are there any tanneries in NB or anywhere for that matter. I'm just getting into the taxidermy gig and have a couple bear in the freezer to practice on. Thanks for any and all input.

Tim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone has ever tanned their own bear hides. I have done other animals but keep reading that bear are much more difficult to do. If Tom or RR can chirp in that would be great. Also are there any tanneries in NB or anywhere for that matter. I'm just getting into the taxidermy gig and have a couple bear in the freezer to practice on. Thanks for any and all input.

Tim
Check out Ryan Currie in Quispamsis. I don't ahve his number right off.
Also a guy in Freddy BEach, but I can't remember his name. Sorry.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Tim
Hey Buddy I am no expert on tanning bear but have tanned them for 19 years, they are very hard to tan, need to be dry salted, rehydrated, pickled, shaved, degreased( very important ) tanned, oiled dryed and staked, feel free pal to stop in my shop and i will help the best i can, manitoba has the best tannery in the country, most of my clients are happy with me doing it for them. approx $200 to send it out. Stop by and we will talk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts