New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out scouting today looking for somewhere to hang a tree stand, came across a couple apple trees that had bear droppings all around them. I couldn't find any deer sign except for 50 or so meters away in dense trees and nowhere to hang a stand in there. Im assuming that the deer must be eating them apples too what do you guys think or would the bears keep them away? I really cant wait to get a trail camera!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've often wondered about this.
I can tell you my trail cam this year took a photo of a bear and then a photo of a bear on the same night at the exact same spot.
Last year, same thing. (Same deer I think, too!)
Those two experiences tell me that it don't make any difference if bears are around or not. But that's all I've got to go on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have had pictures of deer and bear within the same hour, i think the only time the deer wont come around is if a bear is already there. Just my opinion

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've watched bear and deer feeding in the same field within 100 m of each other, as long as the bear went about her business the deer didn't seem to mind.
We also have a number of bait sites being visited by deer, bears and coyotes, some all in the same evening. As long as the bear isn't close I think the deer tolerate them.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
ya I have a sow and 2 cubs coming and several small deer to the same apple bait site.. they don't seem to be bothered by it.. the deer are still coming during the day too

·
Registered
69 Posts
checked my cam tonight at my deer stand... got a nice doe with 2 fawns comin in... scrolling through my pics the last 3 have a real nice bear... just hoping the doe sticks around long enough for a buck or 2 to show up... OR i guess i'll have to try and get him with my bow haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts