New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a road kill beaver this week and took it out to my bait, just very puzzled about the notches in each side of her tail, i seem to remember seeing damaged tails before but it was like someone took a knife and cut two or three notches down each side 2-3 inch deep.They have totally healed and must have happened a long while ago, just wondering if anyone has seen this or similar injuries and what would cause them?Thanks Kev

·
Registered
726 Posts
Definitely from fighting. If the tail is 5" wide and no damage you can sell them with your fur in the fall. They make wallets out of them.

I havent found a roadkill beaver yet. Surprised.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the second road kill beaver ive seen in a couple weeks, the first i saw was probably the largest beaver i ever saw and regretted not picking it up for bait and returned to get it a few hours later and it was already picked up.I seen another this week walking on the edge of a road near a small brook.High water must be keeping them on the high ground, LOL

·
Registered
431 Posts
Beavers injure their tails when they use it as a wedge when they fall trees

I saw a beaver road killed on the bridge in Jemseg years ago I think he was trying to get to the other side

Sorry could not resist

·
Registered
358 Posts
This is the second road kill beaver ive seen in a couple weeks, the first i saw was probably the largest beaver i ever saw and regretted not picking it up for bait and returned to get it a few hours later and it was already picked up.I seen another this week walking on the edge of a road near a small brook.High water must be keeping them on the high ground, LOL
Hahahah, I think I mighta got that one, Ridge Runner. Was it near Prince of Wales?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wanna be careful guys been down this road already this year,there are many reading-road kill cant be picked up its illegal.you mean you moved out of the way as not to cause an accident!

·
Registered
32 Posts
TSINB is right , its ok to pick up Furbearer road-kill only if its in season and you have a licence , otherwise same penalty as poaching.

It would be pretty crappy to lose your hunting privileges over a slice of road pizza.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts