New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hunting a new area this year and started baited 3 weeks ago. I started baiting with a couple of apples and 5 pounds of beef mash once per week. Lately I increased the apples but the deer are favouring the beef mash and not touching the apples. I don't have a trail camera but I can see the deer tracks on the ground.

Does anyone else have this occur?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi WAMT...
We feed deer "Beef Fattener" in pellet form all winter, every winter as well as oats and apples and while they will eat apples when available, they love and prefer the "Beef Fattener/Dairy Mash" best and first...probably because they have a sweet tooth for the grain and mollasses mix.It works awfully well on a woods bait for deer as well, especially when they aren't hitting the apples well. As for it attracting bears...well, Bear hunter is right...it does attract them as well...but so do applees and a hundred other things. When the bears wonder into one of our deer bait sites, we just take away the bait for a couple of days...the bears normally leave to look for goodies elsewhere. Good luck on the deer. Ray

G

·
Beef fattener eh ?

I think Ill build myself a little feeder this fall (trough with a overhanging roof) between two trees and try the beef fattener. Ill then set my trail cam up on it for the month of December/early Jan. Saw a good design in a hunting mag one time that was simple to build. They also had a few pieces of wire strung from trough to roof at odd angle to help knock off "ready to shed antlers" right there at the feeder. Not enough to get solid horns caught up on, but enough to give the loose ones a nudge as they poke thier head into the feeder. Then they drop right there on the spot. Might work.

I'll shut down the feeder by early Jan so as not to mess with the natural winter process/migration deer go through. Deer in my area leave town completely anyway... in the last 8 years Ive never found a track there past 15 Jan as they have ventured off to their wintering area.

Thought Id give it a try this year....hard to find sheds in NB other than pure luck. Woods are thick here.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am hunting a new area this year and started baited 3 weeks ago. I started baiting with a couple of apples and 5 pounds of beef mash once per week. Lately I increased the apples but the deer are favouring the beef mash and not touching the apples. I don't have a trail camera but I can see the deer tracks on the ground.

Does anyone else have this occur?
HI last year i had two nine points an eight point six point two four points all at same spot . Whatever nine point got there first ate the beef fattener untill gone then the apples.I had a camera there.I also tried c'mere deer 3 day harvest it was never touched and grew mould ,i took pic's. This year they are not touching the fattener but porky's are, as well as a bear.deer were eating apples but are now gone as the fields nearby are all spread with liquid manure. Don't know if they will be back? Last year son hunted spot first week bow season ,nines came in but he bumped bow with release never ran away but played peak a boo with him untill dark. In gun season i hunted area and never seen anything ,put camera out and they would came in 45 minutes after dark ,neither of us took one home , but one nine and six were taken by locals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts