New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to buy a couple blackout trail cams... i'm use to using my old stealthcam rogues... which you hear the shutter lense when it takes pics and it does spook the bucks.. the does don't seem to mind it as much. I'd like a cam that you don't hear the shutter and it is practically noiseless with the blackout LED option. I'm looking for anyone that has hands on use and experience with these cams and not market research found on the web and that can provide feedback on the good and bad of their cam/model.

thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
I "had" a Wild Game Innovations "Lights Out" trail cam. It was easily the best camera I've ever owned. Unfortunately someone else liked it too. It had a viewing screen so you could look at your pictures with ease. It took twelve AA batteries, which I suppose could get costly, but I don't worry a lot about cost when it comes to hunting gear. It was very quiet, and took high quality pictures. I will definitely have another.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I reccomend Covert mp6 black, have four of them. Awsome little cameras for me so far. Havent changed the battery's since april.

Also have 2 black 60s which cost me alittle more. I have wwaaaayyyyyy to many trail cameras. Lol.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
For me, I have made the switch to quantity over quality a few years back, when all of this new tech came out. I would much rather get tons of pics from my cheap IR-5s and IR-6s, and have a bunch out there @ 100 bucks a pop and get more reckon this way, more ''bucks'' for my ''buck'' pun intended.

The black flash cams are really going down on pricing, and gradually will become more of an option for me. I usually run 6 to 8 cams at any given time, so price is a big factor.

Good luck with your purchase.

If you're on a budget, Spypoints, Moultries, WildGames and Coverts are all about the same IMHO.

I'm a sucker for Spypoints, 'cause simply I can do the card swap in like 3 seconds and get out of there pronto, as I don't like to linger at my trail cam sites. batteries last me from April thru January (alcalynes) with sensitivity sensor set at low to medium range, but with maximum burst.

I have to get me one of those cheap Cuddys, to test their infamous trigger speed.....set it up on top of one of my Spys, to see what (if any), I've been missing.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Looking at Spypoints just the other day,I like the idea of their "black box" technology where you can hide the black box up to 100m(?) away.A bit pricier @ $300ish iirc....but in an area where theft might be a higher risk(all too common it seems) it would FN AWESOME to have captured the thief's face with any luck.Would be ideal in a camp surveillance application as well me thinks?

As it is,I just recently bought my 1st,2nd,and 3rd cams a few weeks ago,3 different brands,haven't retrieved any pics yet so can't comment on quality,but they are all blackout/IR models,a Stealth,a WGI,and a Primos from @ $99,$119,and $145 iirc?Could save a few bucks buying standard flash models,but I went with IRs being more concerned with theft then spooking game,and I'm hoping thieves are far less likely to see a no flash model?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have 2 nearly brand new Spypoint black flash IR 10mp cameras for sale. This is the model,with the LCD screen for viewing immediately. They sell for $ 229. Plus tax. I bought them in the second week of gun season )from green diamond. Very easy to use and take great pics.

Reason for selling: I am cutting way back on how much time I spend deer hunting in this province. I already sold 3 treestands and my bow.

$170 each or $ 325 for both.

506-864-5784

·
Registered
581 Posts
Giving it up cold turkey eh. Pretty rough go this year I would say, was in to Dale's today and out of all the deer that came in this year only 3 or 4 were heavy horned deer, the rest were all smaller. Better hope shes a mild winter this year as I dont think the deer can take another blow like that and get back to decent numbers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
They won't get back to decent numbers. Very few does around havelock and river glade, Moncton, Peti, etc...Had 10 cams out over a huge area. More bucks then does and fawns. Never thought I would ever see that. No need for doe permits around here. It's going to take years to grow the herd and that's if we have the next 5 mild winters . It's sad it's in such bad conditions. The odd big buck that shows up one time and then gone for the season. Territory is huge and nothing to keep them hanging around for. But I fed a shiat load of raccoons.

·
Registered
634 Posts
With snow on the ground for most of the last half of the season it was clear we don't have much for deer. I was off work the last 3 weeks and spent all my time in the woods. It's not good.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The deer seem to be in pockets, lots in small areas and none in others. I know one stand that I run in Havelock had what I believe to be 11 different does hitting it and than another that was only prob 3 clicks away only had 2 bucks and one doe hitting it, and this stand historically has always had many deer at it. When some one works as hard as yourself in finding big bucks says that numbers are bad I believe it. Problem is I dont remember the good old days and have really only been targeting whitetails heavy for the last few years so to me its not as doom and gloom as some suggest but in reality it is.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am personally scared where our deer heard is going, I am hoping for a mild winter but here it is not even december and we have already had three snow falls.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
we had 4 or 5 snowfalls during gun deer season here in NB.. i had all 4 weeks off for vacation.. well it snowed where i was anyways and not including the one we just got either.

well back on topic boys! lol looking for feedback on good blackout trail cameras. thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts