New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the best cuts of meat would be to eat and the best way to cook them. If i shoot one this year I really want to try the meat. The bears that i have been watching are eating alot of corn this year so would they be any good to eat?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The only bear meat I ever ate was the tender loin, and we took the whole loin and cooked it medium rare on the bbq, and it was delicious.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Loins sectioned up in 8" cuts wrapped in bacon on the grill. HQ roast in the crock pot. My personal favorite: Canned.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I shot a young bear (about 130 pounds live weight) one spring just out of the den and ate most of it. It was very good meat.

Another time I shot a fall bear in the corn - a good sized dry sow. It was more fatty but still good meat.

Both bears were better than deer, in my opinion.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's all good...

Remove as much fat as you can and don't eat/avoid what is cooked.
I like to do mine on the BBQ so it can run off vs a fry pan.
Roasts (my fav) are done in the oven in a pan up on a rack so the meat isn't cooking in the fat that runs out.
Cook it the same as you would a good cut of beef.
Don't burn it but never have it rare/pink.

Nothin better than a bear thats been gorging corn for a month or so!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bears are delicious. Better than deer, almost as good as moose.Bear should cooked like pork. The loins and steaks are best BBQed and roasts in a slow cooker both with a sweet sauce. Like hogs bears can have trigits, the muscular parasite that causes triginosis, so the meat should always be cooked to well done. Trim off excess fat BBQ and enjoy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got my first bear back from the butcher the other day,got most of it turned into sausage...it is delicious,the kids and wife both love it

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bear should cooked like pork. The loins and steaks are best BBQed and roasts in a slow cooker both with a sweet sauce. Like hogs bears can have trigits, the muscular parasite that causes triginosis, so the meat should always be cooked to well done. Trim off excess fat BBQ and enjoy.
x2

I have not got a bear yet, but this is the only thing that I was told in no uncertain terms about cooking it. Treat it like pork, cook well done, not burnt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bill,he is located in St.George....his business is called Terry's Meats,he did an awesome job on the sausage...I find the honey garlic the best but the kids like the Italian better.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I like bear meat quite a lot, especially a spring bear when there's very little fat. Cut really thin for fast frying, in a mix of mushrooms, onions, green peppers... it's hard to beat it. Yum. I'm not sure what the best cut would be, because we always cut our own bears, so we make sure there's no fat or bone on the steaks and roasts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts