New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being the time of yr it is there is nothing better than reading a good hunting story
Please tell us about your favorite hunt that you have had and what made it so special.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My best hunt was definitely this year's Moose hunt. I detailed it all in the Moose Hunting forum, so I won't go into it here, but what made it so special was getting to shoot my first Bull moose and getting to share that experience with my Brother and Father.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would have to say my best hunting trip ever was my last moose hunt a few years ago.The trip was special not just because we got our license, but the whole trip.First it was two of my friends first moose hunting experience, with one of them being my designate, and second that my brothers wife let him come with us without to much trouble...lol.I had been hunting moose before but never called and didnt have anyone to call this time.So I went out and bought a electronic moose call, hearing they were the cats meow in hunting.The first day we entered our stands and began to call with the caller, with no answers but with definitely something heavy moving in the woods around us, but then through the rest of the morning all sound stopped and we never heard anything again.The first day ended with some laughs and wobbly pop at the camp.The next morning we got up and it was windy as hell, cold and raining.We took a walk back into the bog we were hunting and stayed but nothing was moving so we decided to head back to the camp and see what was left in the coolers from the night before and discuss our strategy.We hunted the rest of the day mostly Hollywood style,{ sorry dont want to upset the hardcore hunters but it was an awful day and way to crappy to be in a stand..lol} but with no luck returned to the camp and hoped for a better day on Saturday.Well the last morning, my brother and camp cook {my other friend who never hunted before} decided that with their self induced aliments that they would take the morning off, so me and my designated hunter headed to the bog.It was a beautiful morning with no wind and cold with the potential of being a great day on the horizon.We got situated in each of our stand which were located on the same road with some distance between the 2 of us and a large watering hole between us..Now once I got in the stand I realized I had forgotten the call.Last day, 2 buddies sleeping, and no moose call.Well as I said I had watched enough shows and hunted with some good callers so said well I guess its time to try.I let my first light grunt out after waiting awhile in the stand.To my surprise I heard an answer and a big piece of timber break, like someone jumped on a downfall.I grunted again and heard the break again.So I continued to grunt and smack my lips together lightly which is something someone once told me to do, not sure if they were joking or not but where is a better place to try it.I then heard a bang.Well apparently once I began to call the moose began to move quickly through the woods according to my buddy and came out right below his stand.My brother and friend heard the shot from the camp and came in when we called them on a cell.This trip was special to me cause my friend got to shoot his first bull, and I got to call him in for my first time.Plus my other friend who never even hunted got to help with the field dressing of the bull so needless to say we had a lot of fun with that and it was my brothers first time getting out without a lot of hassle..lol.Thanks for reading this story is much better told at a hunting camp, but I wanted to share it here as well.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have a lot of incredible memories in the last 24 years. Such as my first deer in 1990 with my cousin shooting a 4 pointer the same day. Coming home in dad's old 1979 Ford F150 with 2 deer. I don't think our parents had any confidence in us.
But the look on their faces said it all when two 18 year old punks showed up with deer.

Or maybe the first grouse I shot behind my grandfather's farm when I was 14. He was so proud of me!

Or my dad bringing me snaring rabbits when I was 12. Cleaning and skinning! Making rabbit stew.

Or maybe the 9 moose our party got in 2002 in Zone 17. 9 tags with only 1 bull shot the first morning and the rest the next 2 days. I shot the last bull 10 minutes before dark driving out the dirt road. Went from talking about next year possibly and not filling the last tag, to jumping up and down with smiles and cheers when he dropped 40 yards off the road.

Or my crossbow moose hunt with my girlfriend 2 years ago in Gaspe Quebec when it was the last day and I was driving back to the trailer to pack up in leave. It was a downpour and miserable wind when I spotted a bull off the side of the road. Jumped out while she was dozing off in the passenger side. Door wide open and I disappeared like a lighting bolt and managed to bag a spike bull. Ran back to the truck with arms waving in the air and a smile so big! She bailed out of the truck and we celebrated after 9 hard days of hunting tuff conditions.

Or going out to Alberta in 2005 and calling in a nice wolf to within 20 yards with my bleat call and bagging a beautifull grey wolf on my last morning.

Or the morning I shot my first big buck on a hydro line. I'll never forget the buck stopping broadside after I missed the first shot and his rack shinning in the sun on that frosty morning only to give me a second shot. Then not finding any blood but walked up to him on the well used trail only 50 yards from where he posed.

But the last 2 years are probably the best I have had. Shooting 4 moose. 2 nice bulls here in New Brunswick and 2 decent bulls with crossbow in Quebec and a super huge buck I was after for 5 hunting seasons.

The big buck has to be my best memory. I still read the story every now and then in BigBuck magazine. I won't go into details since I posted it last year but you can read it in this fall's Big Buck issue. That was a journey that lasted a very long time and I was rewarded with a deer I will probably never beat.

As I write this I realize I am truely blessed to be able to hunt as much as I do! I have a very understanding girlfriend that enjoys coming along. I am very fortunate to be able to continue hunting and enjoying the outdoors. Who knows, any day I could be in different circumstances. I had a real bad scare this past year and it's not gone. Only manageable. I love the outdoors!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'd say my favourite hunt was tracking down my first whitetail. That got me hooked and it is the way I want to hunt all the time but due to the weather and seasons it doesn't happen too much. I cut his track right around daylight and had him 3 hours later. I shot him the 2nd time I seen him. I walked up a knoll and he stood there not much more then 10 yards away. All I could see was brown in the scope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts