New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to figure out what kinda area I should try hunting right now im set up on a little clearing beside a beaver pond/bog. Im starting to feel like there isn't as many deer there as I first thought. Im starting to think I should set up on a fresh chopping or a field. What do you guys think is the most productive? fresh chopping, grassy field, or In big old trees? Im thinking about moving my stand in some old trees or on the edge of a chopping on crown land still undecided though. help out this new hunter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The best thing to do is look for sign.I myself find most areas like this to be feeding and maybe overnight bedding areas. They usually head out of the area before day break, or if you are lucky you might catch a late one out there if they are hungry. If you find bedding areas out in the field you will know for sure if they use it. Check along the edge of the woods for sign or a rub line coming through the woods to the field. Usually a buck when the rut is on will visit these areas to see what does are hanging around. Also check through the woods for bedding areas and scrapes on the ground. When a doe comes off a field from feeding they usually don't go to far and bed down to rest and digest. Myself I try to hunt up from these areas. Could be called a transition zone maybe . i usually use a stand and grunt a bit . It is a little harder becasue it is usually a little thicker area. But I find these are the areas a buck will venture through to head to the bedding areas in the woods to see who has been bedding down for the morning. I myself do not do much evening hunting becasue of the areas I hunt...I find I loose the light real quick, if I go out in the open there could be 15-20 minutes of good hunting left. Just throwing you a few ideas out there bud that I learned over the years. There are alot of successful hunters on this board that I am sure will give you some good ideas....Good Luck

·
Registered
797 Posts
Check your cutting for deer sign and if theres alot yuo should have good luck watching it.Bucks feel more comfortable coming out into clearcuts than open fields i find.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't be too quick to give up on your stand site - there must have been some sign to draw you there in the first place? It's early yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea theres some tracks, and what I think is a rub and I heard something that sounded like a buck grunting the first morning of the season(at least thats what it sounded like to me)I just thought it is wierd for a buck to do 3 quick grunts wait 10 secs then do 3 grunts again he did this like 6 or 7 times. I put apples out and it doesn't look like that many were eaten just some half eaten ones looks like birds or other smaall animals go in them. I think Il try sitting in it a few more days and see what happens, if I still get no action il try one of my other areas. I really need to get a trail camera would prob make things easier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts