New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked out an old grown up apple orchard yesterday.

Saw lots of large fresh scrapes and some rubs on 4 inch trees. Big fresh buck tracks in the scrapes.

How long will that buck tend those scrapes? I thought he would just be following does now. Maybe he tends them while the does are bedded down for the day.

Are those scrape sites his main area?

Nuther question. If he was disturbed in his scrape area yesterday, will that throw him off his routine?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would it be a good idea to drop some doe estrous in scrapes in my area?

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Tending scrapes and chasing does are one in the same.He checks his scrapes to see if a receptive doe has visited them.A doe can tell a lot of information from a buck's scrape....almost like an on-line dating profile so to speak?If she likes what she smells,she leaves a "reply"....buck checks scrape(e-mail)...sees that a doe is interested in him and the chase begins.If you've found a scrape line with lotsa big,fresh scrapes,that's where you want to plant your butt for the next two weeks!!
Holy Moly GS! I like your on-line analogy, never looked at it this way LMAO!!!

I can just imagine a big ol' nasty buck editing his profile (aka scrape):

''enjoy long walks in the woods, specially during the fall, fit, athletic and energetic personality who won't stop at nothing to achieve his goals (read: reproduction). I am the jealous type, and will ''Rub'' off any competitors...

likes to get out (aka run the ridges) and check the local scene (aka doe groups). Multiple mates are always an open option!

If you like this type of personality (aka testoterone levels), leave me a message (aka pee in my scrape).

I crack me up!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I came across a very nice scrape yesterday. First time I see one in that spot. Licking branch, BIG hoof prints and the scrape itself too. I was really please too see it to say the least. It was at the edge of a plowed field, in the mud and therefore I would think it's very recent given all this rain.

I had planned to be there this morning at 6:30 but with the pounding driving rain I didn't go out. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better.

Q:I want to pour some doe urine on it. When is a good time to do that? Should I wait until mid day? With this rain it will wash away pretty fast. Thanks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If this buck is visting the area on a regular basis and from what you posted I would say he is from the multiple scrapes you are seeing then I would try and set up in the thickest area leading to the scrapes. Then use a bleat call with a few grunts about an hour prior to dark. I imagine this big boy is nearby.

A buddy of mine did that one afternoon and after bleating a bit and letting things quiet down he used a rattle bag and the big buck came running in!.

I wouldn't even bother using any type of deer urine. Stay away from getting close to the scrapes That stuff on the shelves is garbage. Better off to try and get your hands on some tarsal glands and hang around your stand at waist high.

Visit the local butcher shop and ask if you can have a few tarsal glands from deer he is skinning out.

I imagine by this weekend that buck will be checking out that orchard near dark. It's going to cool off fast here over the next couple of days and the bucks are getting anxious.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I haven't hunted deer much, but this is by far the best buck sign I am aware of.

Now I'm wishing I had picked up that Bushnell trophy cam on sale at CT last week. I just thought it was too late for much use this year. Would be great to set it on a major scrape line like that.

Could be smaller bucks there too. I saw smaller, less well tended scrapes in a poorer area where the apple trees are only small and very scattered.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
A lot of hunters assume a scrape is done and tended to by one buck only, but if you have a good mix of deer in your area, most every bucks will freshen a scrape, if they happen to pass by. Best time to hunt an active scrape line is right after a big rain or snowstorm, 'cause the buck will not waste any time (day or night), to re-activate his calling cards.

A high concentration of scrapes, in somewhat a linear pattern, with a very distinct rub line, is a major indication that you have found a good staging area (ie: where BuckNut is telling you to setup), and / or are very near a known buck bedding area.

Hunting over scrapes is always fun, cause the anticipation runs high, but when the rut picks up, so does scraping, everywhere, this is why we find a lot of sign in the 2nd and 3rd week. Oversized scrapes are usually a primary or community scrape, visited and refresh by more than one buck in the area.

Look for sign concentration, not just big sign. When the rut kicks in, everything I just said is crap....find the doe groups and hang on tight! lol!

Good luck!

PS: for refreshing a scrape with urine, I've done it many times, the only benefit derived...so far...it relieved me!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Girlscout,

Do you squat or pee standing?
Same thought coursed through my head. Also, if bucks are receptive to human urine, would they be more receptive to that of a female?

HA!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well I hunted the orchard two different afternoons now.

The scrapes have not been refreshed since the last big rain about Tuesday night I think it was. Still there are plenty of fresh deer tracks including big ones.

Funny thing is, I have not heard a deer nor seen one in the area. Not heard snorting like I would expect if busted by does. I have not even heard an inquiring bleat of a deer that heard me. Makes me wonder where the deer are spending the day.

Two nights ago about half an hour before dark I heard squirrels sounding off in a line of travel just out of sight of where I was standing. Also heard an old rotten branch break up there. I think a deer was moving along an old trail up above me. I didn't have a deer call and didn't see what was making the noise.

Today while sneaking in I heard squirrels sounding off in an area downwind of me next to a stream. Could have been a deer bedded there and it sneaked out with squirrels chattering so I could tell it's movement. Leaves were very dry and noisy today. Probably I should have stayed away from there.

When the squirrels sound off in a likely line of travel, I figure something is moving along there causing them to chatter. I guess you never really know with squirrels.

Plan to hunt there a lot next week. Have picked up a couple of deer calls. Also figured out the best way into the area to avoid spooking any deer in likely bedding areas. A couple of good sized beaver ponds border the orchard on the south so I can cross a dam and a small strip of cedar and be right at a good place to watch.

Now I need a comfortable place to wait them out. And lots of patience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts