New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that this year I'm getting a fair number of black - mallard crosses. I'd say that at least 30-40% of the blacks that I'm getting have the white edge on the lower side of their speculum (coloured patch on outside of ducks wing). Is anyone else getting many? Mallards clearly have the double white band bordering their speculum, blacks should have no white bands, and crosses will have some thing in between, ie one white band or two messed up ones.

Bill G.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seems that this year I'm getting a fair number of black - mallard crosses. I'd say that at least 30-40% of the blacks that I'm getting have the white edge on the lower side of their speculum (coloured patch on outside of ducks wing). Is anyone else getting many? Mallards clearly have the double white band bordering their speculum, blacks should have no white bands, and crosses will have some thing in between, ie one white band or two messed up ones.

Bill G.
I don't think this is anything really new but I have noticed the same thing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I first started duck hunting 11 years ago one would be floored to even see mallards where we hunted we always shot a lot of blacks. Now it's not uncommon to go out and get several mallards during a hunt pretty much anywhere in NB. I shot several cross breeds in the last few years some very cool looking birds. Mallards are known to breed with I think it's 6-8 other different breeds of ducks.

As much as I hate to seeing the black population go down I sure dont mind shooting mallards. They decoy so much easier than the blacks, but when you can get those weary blacks to circle a spread 6 times and then commit it sure does feel good.

·
Registered
259 Posts
No more hybrids then usual for the last 4 years or so, but way more pintails. I myself am at 3 and I know most of my budies have 1, heck redheads even made an apearance on a few hunts.

·
Registered
456 Posts
No more hybrids then usual for the last 4 years or so, but way more pintails. I myself am at 3 and I know most of my budies have 1, heck redheads even made an apearance on a few hunts.
Ive noticed that to, havnt shot any this year myself but ive seen a couple, heard tell of a few last year, last year i got quite a few widgeon also

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also shot a black cross it had the green in it's head and the curled feathers by it's tail but the only one I've seen so far

1 - 7 of 7 Posts