New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a lot of the other post of other subjects, I'm kinda scared to even mention anything about this. I have a felling of what people are going to say, but what the hell......

Before moose season, me and my budy was scouting for moose and was driving our 4 wheelers and came up on a chopping. Some debris everywhere, and this black face between some stups appeared. I got up on my seat and was looking, it moved, thought at first it was a bear. Could see some of the body(behind face area)slim not huge in size, keep in mind that he was at the 80-100 yard distance. Wasn't in a rush to leave at all, even after knowing we were there. At 2 different occation(during 5-10 min,approx), I seen a tail move in behind him! Puzzled, because at first it was a bear, but I'm shure I seen a tail(it was alone so it wasn't something behind him), then was it a coyote(too black, and had small round ears), and all the bears I seen take off when being seen, and their like a big ball of fat running away. This thing just turned and lightly walked away, it even stoped a couple of times over the hill before disapearing, it had some light hops to its walk(cat like movement).

Never had a real look at it, still don't know what it was. "I'm not the story teller like I know some people must think". Up to a few weeks ago I didn't even tell people about this and would never say that I seen a Black Panther(I don't know if they exist here or not,some people were saying that panthers were seen in Albert county area, but "no proof").

I did hear a rumor that there was some sightings of a Black Panther in the Rogersville to Blackville area. This is why I'm posting this to see if anyone else seen or heard of this. "Again" not saying I saw a Black Panther, but what I saw(between the tail, black face, small ears, light walk, hoping motions and now rumors, I don't know??????????????????) If you got any comments, shoot.........................This was seen in the Rogersville area, about 12-15km west from town.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You just gave a near perfect description of a fisher.How big(or small?) was it?
It's hard to say, didn't get a real look of him body wise, head on look of him, and some parts of him thru stumps and debris,when he hoped off. That's when you always wish you had those bunocculars or camera( with zoom ) on you. I couldn't even guess because it would be a shot in the dark. I really don't know,from what I seen maybe 50-200 lbs, in saying that, it could of been a coyote to about a 200-250lbs bear. It wouldn't of been the size of a 300lbs+ bear, I don't know what to say, It's hard to gage, by just trying to remember what I saw.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to say, didn't get a real look of him body wise, head on look of him, and some parts of him thru stumps and debris,when he hoped off. That's when you always wish you had those bunocculars or camera( with zoom ) on you. I couldn't even guess because it would be a shot in the dark. I really don't know,from what I seen maybe 40-200 lbs, in saying that, it could of been a coyote to about a 200-250lbs bear. It wouldn't of been the size of a 300lbs+ bear, I don't know what to say, It's hard to gage, by just trying to remember what I saw.
I whent on line to get a better feal for a fisher, Not saying it wasn't a fisher, but what I saw was bigger than a fisher, and what I saw was black, "like a bear" "black". I don't know, just one of those things you just can't put your finger on it!!!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I came across a scared hunter about 50 years old but new to hunting not far from my house about 7 years ago that claimed he saw a black panther up a tree, I went to where he had said it was treed and saw nothing (he was too shook up to come with me). I tried to convince him that it had to be something else but he always swore it was a black panther and nothing other than a black panther. No one he told believed him but if he was still alive I am sure he would like to hear of other sightings like this. It shook him up so bad that he was scared to go back in to the woods that day even though he was armed with a 410 single shot and I with a 12 guage (both with bird shot for grouse
) I was not at all concerned since I was sure he was mistaken but ya never know.

He claimed it had to be 100 lbs or more with a long sleek black tail and ran up a tree when he spooked it. Coincidentaly it was on the news a few days later that one was missing and must have somehow escaped from a zoo down in the states, I **** you not. I do not believe that to be in any way related or think that was a black panther but it sure was a funney coincidence.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I believe you saw one because my mom and dad live in Rogersville and they saw one twice last summer. It walked by their house at like 5:30am in the morning when the sun was just starting to come out.
They got a really good look at it and they were sure that's what it was, they told me others in the area saw it also.
I've never seen one myself but It would be pretty freaky to see one when your walking in the woods alone that's for sure.
I'm just curious if anyone out there with the digital night cams ever got pictures of them on those?

·
Registered
531 Posts
well there ya have it folks,the Mythbusters have spoken,lol.

I think it would be foolish to state that there are ABSOLUTELY NO COUGARS roaming around NB.Now whether or not they are surviving remnants of a wild strain of Eastern Panther,or if they are escaped/released pets from the eastern seaboard,which there are indeed dozens if not hundreds of.....that is the only question as far as I'm concerned.

NB Sasquatch on the other hand......obviously a hoax,everybody knows they only live in the Pacific Northwest,except for the Yedi strain,which are white and live in the Himalayas.
X2

Except...what about the Samsquanch? Bubbles says we have them!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The hopping movements do sound like a fisher to me and they definitely appear black at a distance.

Sometimes we see something unusual and the brain cannot process what we are seeing.

One fall I drove over a knoll next to some woods where I was expecting to see nothing but an old field partly grown up in bushes. What I saw was something so unusual in that time and place that I literally could feel my mind spinning. My brain just could not process what my eyes were seeing. It took me a good several seconds to identify and recognize what I was looking at.

When my vision cleared I was looking at a group of about 6 multi-colored goats being tended by 4 long haired teenaged girls dressed in long colorful frocks and bonnets. Some of the girls were sitting on the ground. It was like a vision from a hundred years ago in another country (- and a heavenly one at that
) .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Their are black panthers and sasquatch's in NB. No video proof on Panthers yet but it's coming for sure. Here's some video proof of sasquatch in the old ridge area of southern NB.

Sasquatch Sighting in Old Ridge
LOL...................... I like this, there's definitly sasquatch's in N.B. There's the proof................!

I had heard that there were rumors about Black Panthers in Rogersville area, that's why I posted this. Still don't know today what it was.
Maybe someday we'll get some pictures of these animals (Panthers, Cougars, Oh and Sasquatch's). Just about everyone that hunts has a game camera, I know I have 3 and wish I had more. So it's just a matter of time I think.

·
Registered
726 Posts
For seven years Mr. Cumberland "traipsed around the province" looking for signs of the cat.
But none of the reported sightings turned out to be a panther.

Times Globe

·
Registered
110 Posts
For seven years Mr. Cumberland "traipsed around the province" looking for signs of the cat.
But none of the reported sightings turned out to be a panther.

Times Globe
Times Globe got that one wrong -

In November of 1992, J.D. Irving Ltd. employee Tom O'Blenis was working near McKiel Lake, east of Juniper, when he noticed cat-like tracks on a logging road. He called government biologists.
After following the tracks in the snow for about 2.5 kilometres, the, team found some cat scat. By analyzing the tracks and having hair samples from the scat examined in Ottawa, Rod Cumberland and Jeffery Dempsey concluded that the animal was a cougar, although they couldn't say what kind of cougar.
"That seemed to be proof positive that the cougars were in New Brunswick," Mr. McAlpine said.

http://new-brunswick.net/Saint_John/stories/cat.html

·
Registered
340 Posts
In Mai of 2008 ,I was out baiting bear in Harcourt with my ATV,when I look at a side road,something was in the road then jump in the wood,I would have swear I had seen a black panther,but I know better.I started hunting at 13yrs old and spend a lot of time in the wood,I hunt moose,coyote,deer ,bear and I am also a trapper,so that animal really had me puzzle.A black panther could not survive down here,even if it was release here.
That night I stayed up doing some research on the computer and I found exactly what I had seen.It was a Melanistic Bobcat.
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/top-black-bobcat/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In Mai of 2008 ,I was out baiting bear in Harcourt with my ATV,when I look at a side road,something was in the road then jump in the wood,I would have swear I had seen a black panther,but I know better.I started hunting at 13yrs old and spend a lot of time in the wood,I hunt moose,coyote,deer ,bear and I am also a trapper,so that animal really had me puzzle.A black panther could not survive down here,even if it was release here.
That night I stayed up doing some research on the computer and I found exactly what I had seen.It was a Melanistic Bobcat.
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/top-black-bobcat/
There's another thing it could be. Wow, something else that I didn't know existed. But it says they found one in N.B. It looks like we might have all kinds of different animals here in N.B. Interesting, nice find CRL.............

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sounds like a fisher. They can be anywhere from tan to black. I trapped a brute of a male a number of years ago that was almost jet black. I think anyone who would have seen it would have said the same as you. We also saw a big one during moose season last year that looked black from a distance. Didn't know what it was at first till it came out on the road.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Found a pic of a female I got some years ago, not completely black but at a distance it would look pretty black.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well i for one believe i saw the same animal,but it was near the St Siemon road heading to Moncton last year,the car comming the other way nearly hit it,an never even slowed down,but i was really close(75 yrds)but it would have looked black from a distance,but close up it was dark brown... I know what i saw,nobody could convince me different,an yes i seen lots a fisher,but this was a Eastern panther

·
Registered
31 Posts
I belive it may be possible for cougars to be more plentyful than people think. I have grown up hearing stories from well seasoned hunters in my hometown about cougars and the rarer black panthers. The people in my hometown all belive that some big cat lives here.I have personally seen what i belive to be a cougar on more than one occasion. To big to be a bobcat and definitly no coyote.I also have friends who do a lot of trapping that are also convinced of the existece of the cougar. The big thing is DNR does not want to spend more time and effort into possible research into proving that the cougar is here and how many there are. Its alot easier for them to put them down as endangered than it is to do more research on the issue.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts