New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on the website and contacted a couple of names of people involved with BONB inquiring about getting a membership. No response from anyone. The email address for the contact on the application form isn't even active/valid. Would like to support the organisation, but now I have some questions about whether I will or not. Any help/info is appreciated.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Who represents bow hunters at the NBWF meetings? Just BONB? It kinda gets back to the crossbow in bow season issue. I just want my voice accounted for somewhere.

Thanks for the info Dave. I agree it would be a good idea to get involved with my local F&G club and plan on doing so soon for the winter.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I know that Dale manages that site, and is one of the members. He has been off radar for a bit which is certainly understandable.

You could try sending him a message from this site.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When you join the F/G you are also a member of the NBWF, if you have something to suggest bring it up and it will go to the other clubs. Then it will go to the NBWF, they will take it to the Minister. You will have alot better results getting things done with the F/G around the province (100s of members) and the NBWF behind you then with the 5 or 6 members of the BONB.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good luck getting archery related motions though NBWF, motions are voted on at club level. From attending these club meetings, I got the strong impression that many rifle only hunters regard bows the same as vertical bow hunters regard crossbows.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
When you join the F/G you are also a member of the NBWF, if you have something to suggest bring it up and it will go to the other clubs. Then it will go to the NBWF, they will take it to the Minister. You will have alot better results getting things done with the F/G around the province (100s of members) and the NBWF behind you then with the 5 or 6 members of the BONB.
And just how much have you done for bowhunting in NB or any F+G, The only organization in this province who has done anything proactive for bowhunters is Bowhunters of NB. If your a bowhunter and don't support BONB then your just benefiting from the sweat of others.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And just how much have you done for bowhunting in NB or any F+G, The only organization in this province who has done anything proactive for bowhunters is Bowhunters of NB. If your a bowhunter and don't support BONB then your just benefiting from the sweat of others.
That is why I want to join an ACTIVE organisation. I have had a hard time getting an answer on how to sign up since the couple of attempts that I have made no one seemed to return my email. Can I get a membership through you Bowtech? I thought I would get a clear answer on this from bowhunters on this board. Doesn't seem like there is much bowhunter support for BONB or am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You sure you had the right site? There are two online, one old one that still comes on when you type BONB that was run by John but none of the contacts are right and that is NOT the BONB homepage. I checked the address I had for the web page but it's down at the moment and Dale runs the web page. I belong to BONB but I don't sit on the executive. Dale does so I was waiting for him to respond but he's offline due to personal issues for a while yet I guess. I'll call Richard and see what's going on and get back to you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was going to post a response to you bowtech, but I couldn't be bothered and I don't want to come across the same way you did (as holier than thou)
I guess that it is OK to have an opinion as long it is the same as yours?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only organization in this province who has done anything proactive for bowhunters is Bowhunters of NB. If your a bowhunter and don't support BONB then your just benefiting from the sweat of others.
Bowtech, I completely agree with the above. That is why I am taking steps to join the organisation. I enjoy the sport too much to sit back and not be represented. I contacted Richard via phone earlier today. Thanks for the help by the way.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Thanks Bowtech. I'm expecting to get a bow within the next couple of months and plan to be in the woods next Bow Season. I know that BONB has worked hard to advance the cause of Bows and Bow hunting, but I have a couple of questions for you:

The strongly anti-crossbow sentiment from many of the bow hunters on these boards really makes me feel like this may not be an organization I want to be a part of. I don't want to be part of any organization that is not working toward solidarity with other hunters, but instead working as a divisive force driving a wedge in the middle of our already struggling culture. As I've said before, I'm not for or against crossbows in Bow Season, but it seems as though many (not all of course) of the outspoken members are working very hard to spread stories and fear that could prevent anyone from hunting with a crossbow in NB period, and that's not something I want any part of.

This fear is also compounded (excuse the pun) by the fact that almost every page on the BONB website mentions Crossbows in one form or another. That's scary. Is there anything else you (as an organization) are working toward? I see mention of FHFH, which is a great thing, but other than that, it's almost exclusively crossbow information. PDF's, open letters, president's message, etc, etc...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
BONB are not against crossbows only there inclusion in the bow season. BONB supports the legalization of crossbows and their use. FHFH is one organization they are working with, along with this they had met with the previous gov't in regards to the urban deer issue to see if BONB may be able to partner with governent and municpalities/towns to form a partnership to assist with this issue. They were looking at developing an advanced bowhunter course to further train bowhunters in this type of environment. I imagine it will be back to the drawing board with a new government now in power. BONB also met with government on the IBEP and the new bowhunter ed. manual. It is felt that since IBEP is recognized internationally that new bowhunters should be offered the option to have IBEP since the new NB course is only be recognized in NB at this time and may be a limitation for bowhunters wishing to hunt outside of the province.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
bowtech is right!
we are not against cross bows!
and yes there are more issues that we are currently working on!
if you have any questions, you are more than welcome to send the president an email or PM with any concerns!
his info is on the site under members
or you can ask me and i can bring them up at our next executive meeting!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts