New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wanted to put out a blog .i recently moved to Moncton from British Columbia where much to my suprise NB doesn't allow cross bow hunting. I tried to find an archery store that had the experience i needed . Through pain stakeing hours and mis-information i finally ran into a man named Charlie Specer from Coal branch. He is an authorized Hoytz dealer. He fixed me up with what i needed. He was very informed and new how to make sure my bow was right for me . He went over and above and even helped me out free of charge with my first successful Black Bear hunt. i dont know of any body that would go to that extent to help a fellow bow hunter. Anyway if your looking for an honest sales person in the world of bows and someone that actually hunts look him up . Spencer's Archery Shop .

It gets better i know had harvested my first Black bear and tried to find someone to skin the bear as i wanted to mount it . What a job everyone that i talked to didnt due that or wanted the pelt delivered to them . Finally i met yet another descent fellow hunter to skin and mount it . I delivered this bear on a saturday night at 11 pm to him and he gave a welcome and a hand shake . If you are looking for a descent taxidermy then i would reccomend Tratton Run wilderness company Dale Robinson.

The saga continues know i have harvested my bear had it skinned but didnt realize no one likes to cut bear meet . i finally found a descent guy to butcher my bear . He did an outstanding job and didnt complain or rush the job . He even let it hang wich was a bounus and the meet turned out great .His Name was Paul Craig of PB Meat in cuberland bay .

I dont usually put blogs on like this but since i was so successful in harvesting my first black bear with a bow for the first time. i felt it was neccesary since i ran into all these problems and wanted to share this so new hunters wouldn't have the aggrivation i had dealing with some of the individuals in NB that call them selves bow hunting supply stores , taxidermist and butchers but want americans with lots of dollars and treat the locals horrible . So take it from somone new these guys are genuine. thats all

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another excellent shop is in Sussex, TECC Archery, Mark knows alot about bows and accessories, as well as set-up and tuning. He also builds strings and you can get dialed in right there, inside. You should get ahold of him sometime at 435-4221 or email him [email protected] He is also a Hoyt dealer as well as Bear, Mathews and Mission. But works on all brands. I bought my bow on ebay as a set and took it to him get tuned up (draw length was wrong, no string loop, etc, etc) and he took the time to get it right for me, when he was done I asked what I owed him and he told me not to worry about it. Very good guy and I won't go any where else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spencer is a great guy, from what I know of him, he will do his best to help. I also agree, there is not enough retailers of bow hunting equipment and very little of hunting supplies other than CT and wall mart. Better buys is ok, but they are limited on choice and offer mostly higher end product, but they seem to be getting bigger.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I also deal with Mark in Sussex, have no complaints, and would recommend him to anyone. It's good to see that we more than one good and knowledgeable person in the area.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I know Dale is pretty phenomenal at mounts. He's a fireball, but a great guy - and knows his stuff. There is another lad close to moncton - in Salisbury. I have bought two bows from him, and several people I know have also bought gear from him. Runs his shop out of his basement and wrote a very good book on how to successfully bowhunt. He was a provincial shooting champ years back, and has treined high-quality shooters over the years. Name is Richard Hoar. I think you can get at him throught he Bowhunters of NB website. Very intense and good at what he does.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well welcome to NB, hopefully you won't be too let down about the hunting here vice BC. Your search for a good Bow shop is not unlike trying to get most outdoor equipment in NB. Population is small and it's hard to make a go of a business here, yes if we had the crossbow hunting that would be another product line that would help small bowshop's do better. Your at a good spot here at NB Hunting and there is alot of expertise and experience so don't be afraid to look for answers here.

Bill G.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sgt, Glad you had a positive experience here in N.B. I had the same great experience when i arrived here three years ago, although i am posted to Ont this summer. I will be back however for the fall deer hunt this year!! Like to pass my experiences of the local area on to you if you wish before leaving, shouldn't be to hard to find me if your interested at the Garrison, Maj E. A big thanks to all the New Brunswickers who made my three years hunting here a real pleasure.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I know Dale is pretty phenomenal at mounts. He's a fireball, but a great guy - and knows his stuff. There is another lad close to moncton - in Salisbury. I have bought two bows from him, and several people I know have also bought gear from him. Runs his shop out of his basement and wrote a very good book on how to successfully bowhunt. He was a provincial shooting champ years back, and has trained high-quality shooters over the years. Name is Richard Hoar. I think you can get at him through he Bowhunters of NB website. Very intense and good at what he does.
yes axeman, Richard is a great guy and very knowledgeable
I bought my bow from him also and he set it all up for me
i would recommend him to anyone!
always helpful and full of info
i have also had the pleasure of shooting with him...he is also the president of bowhunters of NB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts