New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since gun season has started, I whanted to see who still keeps there bow in hand. Personally I will hunt with my bow, Most of the time, ocasianally i will take out my rifle if im at my hunting camp on saturdays, But sunday threw friday i will have my bow in hand.

G

·
Bow all season, right to the "bitter" end. Your right, it doest get a little tougher when the temps plummet...harder to shoot accurately with extra layers on as it can change your form on numerous levels and interfere with string clearance Thats the main reason I set up my bow with 1 inch shorter than recommended draw length...the bend in my bow arm ( with a normal anchor point ) allows for some extra string clearance with thicker clothing on late season. Seems to work. (read an article years ago that talked about just that...late season bow hunting issues as a shooter)

Might sneak the rifle out on a few mid-day walks in early Novmeber doing some new area scouting while resting my normal bowhunting treestand spots for the evening sit. Hard to go back to shooting deer with a rifle once your hooked on bowhunting.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Easy to put the bow away once the tag has been filled. I managed to bag a little buck (tiny basket 6 point) in bow season but I didn't enter the deer contest and it sure wasn't a wall hanger so I didn't play it up too much. The steaks have tasted great so far though!! So, yes the bow is hung up and the rifle won't get any use this year. Just like Hoytman I have a MAGGIE as well. She will have to wait quietly until next year!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hard, even though I'm tagged out. Wish the bird population was higher, I'd actually chase them with the bow too but they're hard to come by even with the scatter gun.

Practicing for the competitive season, killing paper and foam.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I hunt with a bow no matter what the season. Last year I even started waterfowl hunting with my bow. It isn't so much what I take, it is what I take it with that matters to me. I don't condone anyones choice of weapon but I am a bowhunter, some are bowhunters and some hunt with a bow, they are not neccesarily the same.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I hunt with a bow no matter what the season. Last year I even started waterfowl hunting with my bow. It isn't so much what I take, it is what I take it with that matters to me. I don't condone anyones choice of weapon but I am a bowhunter, some are bowhunters and some hunt with a bow, they are not neccesarily the same.
You know, I have always thought it was not legal to hunt migratory birds with a bow, but according to the migratory bird act you can.. guess you learn something every day.

So... do you use those arrows fitted with a string so you can get them back?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i use the bow all season long!
i will sneak the gun out for a few mid afternoon walks

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
as it stands about 80% bow / 20% firearm.. but im working on it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
While I will (ssshhhh) hunt with the 30-30 once the gun season opens, as I love to still hunt and see where the bucks are moving, I hunt with the bow until the bitter end if I ever sit. Last fall, I took my 8 pointer with the bow the last Thursday of the season. Much more of a challenge, and far more rewarding.

However, I value "learning" all I can about buck movement on the patch of ground I hunt to give up and just sit all fall. .....and once I'm on the ground sneaking through thickets and deer trails, I need ol' Betsy by my side. I think that is heredity!

·
Registered
925 Posts
The bow has now been retired until next year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts