New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder is anyone else ever had this problem. In around the middle of gun season,I shot my bow to make sure it was still on, and it wasn't. It was a little chilly out and I ended up breaking 4 arrows in about 30 shots. Now I'm no pro archery (getting better though) and have missed the target a few times in the summer, but the arrows would rarly break. When it got colder out almost everytime I missed the target the arrows would break. Is there something to this or is it a coincidence?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i've only ever used aluminum arrows, never had any issues like that and i've been shooting the bow for about 26 yrs... are you using carbon arrows?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Never had an arrow break due to it being cold out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My hay bale is frozen and they aren't breaking hitting it after passing through a feed bag stuffed with plastic.
Nor are any that miss the feed bag (not many/if any
)

What are your arrows fetching up in or on when you miss?
Have your arrows been outside long enough they could be frozen?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe the arrows you are using don't have enough spine and are cracking due to the stresses put on the shaft when released... are the shafts correct spine for your draw weight?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was using carbon arrows. I don't remember exactly what I was hitting, but more than likely trees. I remember it kept shooting left, and pretty well everytime I missed the target the arrow broke. Throughout the summer, I rarly missed the target, but when I did, the arrows would always be alright, the fletching might be damaged though. This day I lost 4 arrows.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Could be the "rapid deceleration" at the tree

Sounds like your sight is off.
Start closer to your target and shoot 3 or 4.
Move back some and shoot again then adjust your sight to the left/right until the arrows are centered.
Move back some more and repeat etc til you have the distance you want.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
I had the same thing happen, but in winter cold .. seems the cold makes the carbon shafts more brittle.??

make sure you check your shafts from time to time (by flexing them), looking for any that are cracked...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts