New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a 100gr G5 or the Muzzy 100 be best for moose in NB.(or would 125gr be better)
(out of a 60lb bow, using easton full metal jacket - 400 spine)

What would you consider your Max range from this combo (30-35yds)?

Thx

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
draw length - 29in,
arrows - 29in
draw weight - 60lbs

thanks

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Would a 100gr G5 or the Muzzy 100 be best for moose in NB.(or would 125gr be better)
(out of a 60lb bow, using easton full metal jacket - 400 spine)

What would you consider your Max range from this combo (30-35yds)?

Thx
Mu'in:

I have never taken a moose with my bow, so I am no expert on broadheads for them by no means. But I have read a lot on the subject, and based on my experience with deer I would say this.

I think that there probably isn't that much difference in a 100 gr head over a 125 gr one. Especially with today's fast bows. The heads you mentioned should do a good job providing they are shaving sharp and fly well enough from your bow set-up to go where you aim them. I also think that it is easier to get carbon arrows to fly well with the lighter 100 gr.

I have read of plenty of moose shot with spitfire expandables. And even though that is what I use for deer, they would not be my choice for moose.

I do think that 60 Lbs although entirely adequate for deer, is border-line light for moose in my opinion. It "will" get the job done with the proper rib shot. But I certainly wouldn't want a shot past the 30 yards you mentioned.

Even with 70 lbs, I would get that moose in just as close as I possibly could. I would prefer 20 yds….or better yet have him brush the arrow as he passes!! Another thing too think about for moose with a bow. Especially hunting from the ground, (I wouldn't want a tree stand shot angle on a moose) is that a rangefinder is a necessity.

My Tribute is a 60/70 lb and I have it set a 66 lbs for deer. I am thinking of getting another bow with 50/60 lbs limbs for deer in the future (easier to draw in cold weather). I could lower the poundage more, but I like to shoot my bows maxed out..(or close to) their top weight.
If I am lucky enough to get my moose tag this year, I would crank my bow back up to 70, just to get that extra penetration power.

The broad-head that I would use for moose is the Steel-Force Titanium Hellfire head. I took a buck with one years ago and they are a really tough solid head. And shaving sharp right out of the package!

Anyway.. that's my opinion on the subject. Others may differ.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I agree about the range, and would prefer as close as possible (30 would be the max id think on such a large animal with my setup- though i am thinking on pickup up a 70lb axe6 or 7 in the near future - pending wife agreement

at 30yds i can keep them within about a 3in circle (usually), so id be comfortable shooting that range, but id rather be closer to ensure good penatration.(sp?)

The area i hunt is so thick you can hear them coming and move up the road to get close. - shot a bull there with rifle at less than 10yds - that was a rush, sounds like a T- REX coming at yah

But i think the BOW would be the Ultimate adrenaline high ...

So you think a lighter carbon would be fine with a 100gr head then.(thats what i use for target) out to 30yds

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks guys,

I agree about the range, and would prefer as close as possible (30 would be the max id think on such a large animal with my setup- though i am thinking on pickup up a 70lb axe6 or 7 in the near future - pending wife agreement

at 30yds i can keep them within about a 3in circle (usually), so id be comfortable shooting that range, but id rather be closer to ensure good penatration.(sp?)

The area i hunt is so thick you can hear them coming and move up the road to get close. - shot a bull there with rifle at less than 10yds - that was a rush, sounds like a T- REX coming at yah

But i think the BOW would be the Ultimate adrenaline high ...

So you think a lighter carbon would be fine with a 100gr head then.(thats what i use for target) out to 30yds

Thanks again
Your Easton FMJ are a fine choice, especially with the metal coating over the carbon. Toughs as nails, I would imagine(never used them myself though)I use Easton Axis Carbons And Gold tip Pro's. I like the Axis better for hunting though. They are a bit heavier/thus slower, but it gives them more penetrating power.

I just mean that I think it is easier to get a good balance on your arrow with the lighter 100 gr head. The older aluminum arrows were more suited to a heavier head in my opinin, because the shafts are heavier and perform better with more wt forward

Like Hoytman said you should consult the Easton spine chart to see if the head changes the spine based on arrow length, poundage etc. If you change draw length, poundage, or shorten your arrows it will affect the spine. It also will affect the FOC ("front of center" of the arrow). There are charts to calculate this as well. Some people are real fussy about FOC, but if you are close to the recommended arrow balance point..then it is more important to just try the arrows to make sure they fly well. Not fishtailing up down or sideways

Hope I'm not preaching too much here! "LOL"

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Here is a pic of two Steel-Force Titanium Hellfire 100 gr heads. The one on the left went clean through a 160 LB(dressed wt)buck. It was only a fifteen yard shot,(so not maybe the toughest test) but still the head shows hardly any abuse at all. For "deer" I find expandables more convenient, safer to handle in the tree stand and less hassle to tune. For moose? "This" is the head I will be using!

·
Registered
495 Posts
there's a program that has a 2 week trial that allows you to enter all the data for your bow and arrows right down to fletch brand and nock. lists the recommended arrow depending on target or hunting selection, tells you the spine for the selected draw weight and everything. Ontarget2from pinwheel software.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Nope, not preaching to much, no such thing as too much info IMO.

The broad heads, can u get them local or order online?

Did they tune easily?

I have tried some heads after tuning the bow up and they were flying to the same POI as my target arrows.
(paper and walkback tuning)

(i think was doing right)

set tiller as even as i could (using thread from axle to axle (single cam bow), then paper and walk back tuned.

Ontarget2 - neat little app - spine says perfect with 100gr and bow setup

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Nope, not preaching to much, no such thing as too much info IMO.

The broad heads, can u get them local or order online?

Did they tune easily?

I have tried some heads after tuning the bow up and they were flying to the same POI as my target arrows.
(paper and walkback tuning)

(i think was doing right)

set tiller as even as i could (using thread from axle to axle (single cam bow), then paper and walk back tuned.

Ontarget2 - neat little app - spine says perfect with 100gr and bow setup
You would probably have a hard time finding them here, I think I bought them through Cabelas.
They are supposed to tune easily. I haven't tried them too much on carbon, only aluminum arrows.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You would probably have a hard time finding them here, I think I bought them through Cabelas.
They are supposed to tune easily. I haven't tried them too much on carbon, only aluminum arrows.
hey mu'in
I have talked to alot of guys that shoot the rage 2 blade and had great success with them and they swear by them
I haven't shot anything myself but i do use them also!
I have shot them at a target and they shoot like a field point!
about all i can say about them
I also use FMJ 400 and i wouldnt use any other arrow...LOVE them!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rage looks like a wicked head (for deer they look aweseome). just a little leary bout using an expandable for Moose .

Want to be sure the arrow gets in deep..

·
Registered
134 Posts
The rage looks like a wicked head (for deer they look aweseome). just a little leary bout using an expandable for Moose .

I would shoot a moose with the same as i use for Bear, a big black bear is as tuff as a big moose, i use rage 2 blades, and it does the job....+ all top notch heads have been feild tested on moose, so i would not be to afraid of using a good brand name....good luck

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

understand that mu'in...but if they work for deer....cant see why they wouldnt for moose.. all in your shot placement but....
you might be safer going with fixed broad heads for moose!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Narrowed it down to "100gr 3 blade Muzzy"
or
The "X-System Cut-On-Contact(100gr)" which is a 7/8" Main Blade "Cut On Contact head" along with two 1 1/2" mechanical off set Blades.

Both fly great out of the bow..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
tried to read thru this thread quickly as it caught my eye... one thing to remember is: the heavier the broadhead/field point, softer the spine will be on the arrow.. the lighter the broadhead/field point, stiffer the spine will be... basically consult spine sharts and test arrow flight.. 25 grains difference can wreak havock on arrow flight and with today's faster arrows/bows, makes it that much more difficult to tune if not set up properly. As for poundage, 60lbs is more than adequate even out to 50 yards.. the one thing to remember is you don't need a complete passthru to ethically kill and animal, as long as the shot is dead on, you should be more than ok. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Thanks guys...
Been doing alot of shooting at 50yds, just for fun

Tried broadheads and they are flying Accurate at this range... grouping in with field points
Now if i can get a moose to co-operate this fall
he should be in trouble

Bad to the BONE.... YEAHHHH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts