New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know ,I know ,I'm not going to put them on the endangered list with my bow.It says in the 2010 hunting guide small game field points may be used for small game.Does this mean you can't use BH for yotes.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I beleive,and I could be wrong,that you can also use broadheads for small game,any time of year.You just can't use field points for big game anytime is why it's in the regs...at least that's how I interpret it?I don't beleive there is any type of "caliber restriction" for lack of a better term on arrowheads like there is with rifles after deer season?
I asked this very question to DNR last week. You may use BH for small game, you must use BH for big game. You may use shockers or small game heads for small game.

Even a coyote deserves a quick and clean death.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I use the venom vipers from walmart .Only $10 bucks for 3.Razor sharp and fly exactly like field points .Deadly and cheap.Wicked on rabbits too.
I bought those once, I never used them, I was afraid to use them on big game, but small game, I bet they work great. I mean no disrespect, but they just did not look adequate for a deer or bear.

I use a straight razor to shave, so I know the difference between good quality steel, and not so good quality steel. The ones I bought were not near as sharp as they should have been, so I returned them. I don't think they will sharpen up to where they need to be for me to be comfortable with them.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I bought those once, I never used them, I was afraid to use them on big game, but small game, I bet they work great. I mean no disrespect, but they just did not look adequate for a deer or bear.

I use a straight razor to shave, so I know the difference between good quality steel, and not so good quality steel. The ones I bought were not near as sharp as they should have been, so I returned them. I don't think they will sharpen up to where they need to be for me to be comfortable with them.
Well rage are deadly too but kinda expensive.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well rage are deadly too but kinda expensive.
I know a guy that bought the blue box (not Muzzies) BH from Canadian Tire, fired one at a target block, and the thing disintegrated. Most of the time, expense is proportional to quality, but not always. I use Slick-Tricks they were cheap, refills are cheap, and they work wickedly. I would be interested to know how those Venom ones work. The ones I had were 'bent' on the blade ends to make them spin.

Seems to me that it would impact penetration ability since the blade is not straight ???

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had been carrying them anyway and had planned on playing dumb,my Fiance says that comes natural to me.I bought some cheap BH last year at wal-mart,I think they were Eastman.First one in the BH target came out with one blade left on it,the second one a blade broke and the third went in the trash.Has anyone used Muzzy Phantoms,I'd like to try them.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had been carrying them anyway and had planned on playing dumb,my Fiance says that comes natural to me.I bought some cheap BH last year at wal-mart,I think they were Eastman.First one in the BH target came out with one blade left on it,the second one a blade broke and the third went in the trash.Has anyone used Muzzy Phantoms,I'd like to try them.
Do yourself a favor, don't play dumb. It wont work, they look for a reason to roast you. If your in doubt, call DNR and ask them directly, remember to write down who your speaking to, and the time and date. You will get a lot of good, and accurate info on this site. There are a lot of informed, and experienced people here, and you should bookmark this. Read it often, learn it well. It will save your tail.

It would really suck to lose hunting privileges for 5 years, and thats on top of any fines.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do yourself a favor, don't play dumb. It wont work, they look for a reason to roast you. If your in doubt, call DNR and ask them directly, remember to write down who your speaking to, and the time and date. You will get a lot of good, and accurate info on this site. There are a lot of informed, and experienced people here, and you should bookmark this. Read it often, learn it well. It will save your tail.

It would really suck to lose hunting privileges for 5 years, and thats on top of any fines.
Thanks,I guess I'm more of a field hunter than a book hunter.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've always used those cheap eastman mechanicals. Killed at least a dozen deer and a few bear with them. I love em and have never never never lost an animal using them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've always used those cheap eastman mechanicals. Killed at least a dozen deer and a few bear with them. I love em and have never never never lost an animal using them.
These weren't mechanicals,3-blade 100gr punch-cut tip.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hittin the animal is pretty important too....

Spined buck in the video this year was a $3.00 special.
Gotta agree that hitting them in the right spot counts for a lot too

Maybe it was those cheap ones planning that caused that

I tried a number of different BH but once I used the Muzzy's I have no need to use anything else although I did convince my brother to buy Montec's G5's to use and they are a pretty close second

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No BT they were rage 3-blade and I just plainly missed,I should have taken my time ranged some trees and set up better for the shot,but hindsight right.Really wish I could have that one back cause I do consider myself lucky to have that chance.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I'm not mistaken,BT was referring to the spined buck?
U know I think you're right,I'm pretty good at saying things without thinking,guess I write the same.LOL.Got a question for u.I've never had alot of trouble tuning my bows but I got a new PSE Dream Season and here is my problem.I can get my field points and expandables to group well but fixed blade are all over the place.When I shoot through paper with FP best I can get is a slight tear tail-left,and my rest is moved way left.With BH it's worse even when I move my rest as far left as possible.I'm shooting 67#@29.5".I'm using Goldtip 7595,when I checked them out their spine is .340,if I switch to a .300 spine do u think this would help.Any suggestions on arrow type/brand.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Your 7595's are just fine for your setup. Sounds like you may have a fletching contact issue. What are you using for a rest?
heck this out I could not get broadheads(fixed to hit were field points do at 30 40 and 50 meters followed tuning broadheads and bow tuning on this site.Works can put 3 field points and 3 muzzys into tim hortons cup bottom at 50 yards. but tuned bow 1st.http://www.bowtuningtips.com/restTips.html

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
what rest and what fletching?

i had to switch to a blazer vane with a whisker bisciut or no way in he** would the bow tune. (arrows had a 4 inch vane on them from goldtip)

as soon as a revaned with blazers - no problem tuning

1 - 20 of 21 Posts