New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone else does to control buck fever. Personally I figure lots of confidence in my shooting, a set preshot routine that has been practiced over and over in the offseason so you aren't thinking and can go on auto pilot, not thinking about killing the animal but picking the spot and thinking about good form, NOT looking at the antlers once I decide that I want to shoot it. The last thing is shooting lots of game animals, whatever you can. Even shooting a partridge will help you concentrate better and help you when it comes down to that big buck. I find my biggest problem when shooting deer is that I want to rush the shot. I still take the first good opportunity but I try now to count to three before I release to give me time to do a mental check and slow me down.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I always have about 8 beer before going out-takes off that edge
.Really try not to focus on the rack,but the shot,still get it though,just not as bad.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My experience with buck fever still hunting with a gun was nonexistent. Everything would happen so quickly you couldnt get it. Basically with a gun if you can see it you can shoot it, quickly.

My experiences bowhunting are quite different. Sitting in the stand waiting for the shot opportunity takes a while sometimes. Watching a buck come in from 75 yards away leaves alot of excitement time to build up. My cure all is getting to full draw, then auto pilot takes over like bowtech mentioned. Complete focus at the task at hand. I've been very fortunate and have made good shots and have not lost an animal since starting bowhunting in 2001. It helped alot going to New York State in the beginning so you could kill several deer in a week and get your bow game down pact before coming back to NB and hoping for your 1 chance at it. For me it definitely is not the rack that does it, its the amount of time before the shot happens. Last years buck was a only a big spike, but I watched him come across the field for 10 minutes. When he arrived I was a bit jittery..LOL Watched him tip over 50 yards away after the shot and that was quite a feeling also...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I as well never had a problem when hunting with rifle. I had a lot of confidence in my abilities with my trusty old 7mm mag. I knew all I had to do was get the crosshairs on the animal, and the rifle would do the rest. I always got the shakes "after" I killed the deer.

But with bow I don't always get the shakes when I see buck coming, unless I am really cold). But my heart, is always about to pound out of my chest. I try not to look at the horns as others do. And try my best to anticipate the shot angle I will get. I have made a couple of bad shot decisions, and it has taught me to take the time to make sure of my aiming point. And the angle the arrow will take through the deer. Nothing worse than putting an arrow through the liver, and on through the stomach. I "highly".. Don't recommend it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I always joke with my dad & tell him that I inherited my buck fever from him! lol Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets a lil buck fever from time to time.

What works the best for me, trying not to stare at the animal. Take a couple of controlled breaths & aim, fire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with taking lots of shots on game animals to keep the confidence up ; especially for greenhorns at bowhunting such as myself. Unfortunatly we don't get to hunt deer up north but at least the bear population is good. (almost too good...) There was a topic the other day about tricks to stay awake in the stand. Well, personnaly as long as there is movement or activity around the stand I'm in good shape so lately I've started to leave some bird seeds at the site ; anykind I can find and the cheapest. Its amazing how many species of birds we have but don't ever see most of them. It makes lots of critter traffic around the stand too and most of the time offers a good practice shot on rodents or such. It's my understanding that to get good, you gotta shoot, and to shoot you need targets. Nothing worst than taking a practice shot and missing and leaving things as-is. Before I put my bow down, I have to get it right.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i don't get buck fever, I get deer fever. While I watched the doe that was at my apples and waited for a shot, I was shaking for about 15 minutes, then I calmed down and didn't shake no more, even when my spoonhorn came along. This is normal for me. If I'm see the same deer over and over, I don't shake, just the first encounter each day if it's a different deer.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I get a real rush hearing a deer off in the distance heading my way and get that thumping in my chest but when i see a deer that i intend to harvest i immediately concentrate on making a sucessfull shot and not wounding an animal and dont have any trouble keeping my cool.I do get extremely excited after i arrive to a downed animal and usually will let out a war hoop that you'll here a half mile away.Its my trademark.I will know within seconds of seeing a deer if it is a mature deer that i intend to shoot and will plan ahead automatically to get the job done as quickly and ethically as possible.I have the greatest respect for these animals and am terribly upset if i make an animal suffer to any degree.I also get upset when i hear of the same hunters year after year missing and wounding animals and wish they would realize what they are doing and leave the sport to people who can handle the pressures involved.Some have a severe problem with this....RR

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I wouldn't say I get buck fever I just get deer excited. It really doesn't matter if it is a buck or doe. I get excited. once I decide that it is the "öne" I take a couple deep breathes and talk myself through my shot routine. Calm steady left 1/2 breath out and squeeze trigger. I practice shooting and have confidence I can make the shot and end up with a quick kill
once I know the deer is down.....they I really get wound up, by the time I get it cleaned hauled out registered then home hanging and a nice drink or 2 things start to wind back down to normal LOL

G

·
I rub my earlobes with my thumb and fingers and say "Woooossaaaaahhh". (MIB)

The bigger the deer...and the longer you have hunted that season...and the more you want it to happen...the worse it gets.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't get excited before the shot. Take a quick look for horns and I don't look at them again. Focus on where i want the bullet to hit and squeeze it off. Afterwards is a different story. If any of you have watched Fred Eichler on Easton Bowhunting then that is me. I have told my wife that if I ever quit getting excited after the shot then I will be done hunting. Can't see it ever happening though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey BT what antlers?
Did you not focus on those last year

I think I'm fine with buck fever until after the shot then the shakes set in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I take a few calming breaths,tell myself to calm down,settle the crosshairs then squeeze the trigger,and like Ridge Runner I let out a big "Waahoo" out of me,I then thank the Good Lord and go retrieve my deer.....there is nothing quite like it!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I also get upset when i hear of the same hunters year after year missing and wounding animals and wish they would realize what they are doing and leave the sport to people who can handle the pressures involved.Some have a severe problem with this....RR
I hear ya RR. When someone/hunter says "wounding is part of hunting" they are doing it way too often.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Not sure about buck fever.
But I do get an adrenaline rush at the start, then as bowtech said, you seem to go on auto pilot and it all comes together. (some quality pre season practice is must)

Its seems like you get TUNNEL VISION, as you focus on the animal and making the shot, everything else seems to fade away.

Haven't harvested deer yet with the bow, but did shoot a coyote, and the draw, aim, release just came/felt natural. (Hope it stays like that
)

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
the day they don't is the day I'll give it up
I agree. love that rush

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
For me, I've always found that most of the fever for me comes while I'm watching the deer get close enough for the shot, or even in hearing what I know is a deer coming. I think that's my favourite part of the hunt, watching Deer do what Deer do. Usually by the time the deer has gotten to where I will make the shot, the adrenaline has leveled off and I'm clear to make a good shot. If I have any time to watch the deer before you take the shot, I get calmed down and can really focus on the shot.

A couple of years ago I took a bear on the first day of Deer Season. When he walked out I didn't think it was big enough that I had no intentions of shooting him, so I watched it for over an hour before taking the shot. It was my first bear, and it seemed to me every time the damn thing stood up on his hind legs he got bigger and bigger. When I finally took the shot I was as cool as a cucumber. I was right initially though, it wasn't a big bear.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hey BT what antlers?
Did you not focus on those last year

I think I'm fine with buck fever until after the shot then the shakes set in.
Ohh you guys are funny

I guess you're only as good as your last one. I better shoot a good 'un this year or I'll have to suffer for a whole 'nuther year!

Buck fever is just a relavant term. I get a bit of buck fever every time I decide to shoot a game animal no matter what it is, some more than others. I don't get it at all when I'm sure I'm not gonna shoot but just as soon as I decide that I am, whew...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OHHH geezz not again
I knew I should have copyrighted that photo before posting!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts