New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting theory that I want everyone opinion on.

I keep my trail camera out all year long and set to video. For the past two years in the late fall (Dec on) and from early spring to mid summer I get the does and fawns hanging around this one area. Then come late summer, a young buck that is now 2.5 years old starts showing up. The doe videos start to get scarce, they look nervous on the camera for a couple of evenings and then disappear completely. The buck starts to show up almost every day. This is close to an old grown up orchard and is right around the time that the apples begin to hit the ground.

I think that he is driving the does away from the food source and keeping it for himself. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have an interesting theory that I want everyone opinion on.

I keep my trail camera out all year long and set to video. For the past two years in the late fall (Dec on) and from early spring to mid summer I get the does and fawns hanging around this one area. Then come late summer, a young buck that is now 2.5 years old starts showing up. The doe videos start to get scarce, they look nervous on the camera for a couple of evenings and then disappear completely. The buck starts to show up almost every day. This is close to an old grown up orchard and is right around the time that the apples begin to hit the ground.

I think that he is driving the does away from the food source and keeping it for himself. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sounds like a good problem to have.

I seen the exact same thing happen last year post rut. A group of bucks would pretty well dominate the food source.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Anytime I have had a buck come in when does are there feeding, the does vacate the spot pronto!
The only exception to this is if the buck and doe are twin yearlings.

I think that does are always afraid that the buck is going to dog her fawns. Last fall (last week of gun season)I had a big buck come in to my stand, and was chasing the does all around it for ten minutes. You would have thought that he had a disease they didn't want to catch. I also have a co-wroker that a few years ago shot a nice buck with bow. For weeks, that buck would come in and eat the "whole pile" of apples at one time. "Every time" he came in"! On the trail cam pics, you could actually see the pile dwindel down as he ate! Some bucks are just glutens, and pigs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts