New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you guys..and girls (sorry CG) but the bucks seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately down here. Maybe it's because most have their velvet off now and are getting a little frisky and sparing and such now. Last night I saw three, two in the field next to ours and one up back along with some does and fawns. This morning while coming into work I saw almost 2 dozen deer and at least 7 were bucks. I didn't check them all out but I did stop and glass a group of 4 and another that had 2 in it. I thought a couple more were spikes or forks but didn't stop to confirm.
They all looked to be 1.5 to 3.5 year olds, no monsters in the groups but some respectable 8 pts and one looked to be a 10pt.
It's getting me pumped for the season to come!

Anyone else seeing anything?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
seen 4 deer on the way in to work this mornign also. Appeared to be a doe 2 fawns and a small buck..spike or 4pt.
Cool weather is most likely the trigger for the pick up in activity
I know it has caused my internal clock to start thinking deer alot more

·
Registered
495 Posts
Seeing lots of does but the only bucks I've so far were two bucks in a field near the road near dusk last week. One looked like 8 pt or better possibly with a swayback marking him as an older buck, the other a tall 4 or 6 pt.

3 seconds of video, expand the video window and replay.

Bigfoot or Big buck

·
Registered
480 Posts
In another thread I had mentionned last year that I had yet to see any bucks here in Quispamsis among the douzens upon douzens of does here. However, since this summer I've been seeing some bucks here finally! One even has an antler knocked-off and has been dangling along the side of its head for a good month now (not a big one, just a fork). No monsters, just spikes and forks, but more then I've ever seen here.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i was out bear hunting last nite and seen 4
one doe all by herself and 3 in the field
couldnt tell what the 3 were but they were not afraid of me at all!
i was taking pics and yelling to get the doe's attention and she ignored me.
was only 15 yards from her!
and i noticed some tracks that looked like a big buck in the same area!
but....where i am at...they are cutting big time!
so..not sure if that is driving them to this spot or not!
but i am gonna take full advantage of it!
will have 2 blinds up and bait out before the end of the weekend!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have seen a couple of decent bucks out springfield way recently but i saw a doe way to close on the way to work the other morning.[up over the hood on the passengers side,2 or 3 flips around and into the ditch].By the time i got stopped and walked back she was up and running but didn't seem any worse off.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saw 4 bucks coming in this morning. Two I haven't seen before and I think two of the same from the other day since they were in the same field as the pair the other day. All were 1.5-2.5 year olds. One spike, two branched and one 8 pt basket 2 year old. Didn't see any of that group of 4 from the other day although there were 1/2 dozen does and kids out there. The fawns seem to be some frisky this morning. One little guys would race for 100m or so then spin around and race back through the group then turn around and do it again.
Love watching that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
323 Posts
We have five deer around our house that we see on a daily basis. A doe with her two fawns and two bucks; a spike horn and a high racked four pointer, if given the chance to fully mature, will be a monster of a deer! For a young deer, he certainly exibits amazing genetics.

Tonight, I walked out our front door and here was another four pointer on my lawn. He ran off to the field in front of our house where a doe was eating. Well, within minutes, all hell broke loose! The doe came on the dead run right past me with the new four pointer right on her tail!

By the looks of it, Mr. Bull isn't the only lad in the woods feeling a little randy!What a neat thing to see but unfortunately all I can shoot one of these bucks with, is a camera as we live too close to other houses. I just hope they stay on our side of the road and not cross and get hit by a car.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well had a call down river this morning but didn't see much. One forky and a half dozen does and fawns. I saw a few deer last night taking the boys to Karate but only one had forks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saw a real nice 10pt this morning on the way into work along with a spike, some does and fawns. This evening on the way home I saw three more bucks in different field, 1.5-2.5 year olds along with more does and fawns. Took one of my boys to the movies tonight and there were 4 does and fawns in our lower field and another couple in the neighbours along with a 2.5 yr old 6 point which didn't have any brow tines. If I didn't have those big ones running around the farm here I might be tempted to ask the farmer if I could hunt where I saw that 10pt. Its the same field I saw the 4 buck in from the first post. I thought one was a 10pt that first day but wasn't sure but had a good look at him this morning. I think he is older than 3.5 yrs as I figure he'd score around the mid 130's, good looking deer and had pretty good mass.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Bowtech - wouldn't hurt to ask anyway...you never know what will happen over the next 7-8 weeks

·
Registered
925 Posts
In 20 minutes from Scotch Lake to home last night I seen 43 deer. Maybe the odd yearling buck, the rest all does and kids.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your not stopping to glass them you miss seeing a lot of bucks. I only knew one of those deer were bucks yesterday without my bino's. In my first post, I only knew one of the 4 bucks in that field was a buck and it turned out to be the 10pt, which was sporting a pretty big rack and was within 200 yards. That was why I stopped to glass in the first place. I think if your driving; and more than a couple hundred yards away you have a hard time identifying most 1-2 year olds. Will make us think we have a lot more does than we really do. Not saying you missed seeing bucks nbbucks but I know I do, a lot.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ya there might have been but nothing big enough to stop for.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Saw three bucks coming home from Duck hunting this morning. Well two really cause the spike was in our back field with a couple does when I drove in the yard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts