New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very nice. How many different bucks do you think you got. I only got 5 bucks this year. One 2.5 year old and four different yearlings.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least 24, maybe a few more.

That is over a huge area. I had 7 cameras out. 3 of the largest bucks were at the same spot. Cams are spread out an hour and half of driving from each other and various spots in between. I never checked them all on the same day.

This is my last year running around looking for giant bucks. Not worth it. There are only a few of those bucks I would shoot. We have a young heard in a province where the majority of hunters are happy shooting yearling bucks. Many shoot a small buck in the last week just to say they shot a deer. That is one of the reasons if not the main one why you see so many small bucks in my photos.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hear what your saying, but I don't think it's that bad. I look at it this way. I figure there are way more raccoons out there than bucks. I only got one raccoon all fall on the cam and did not see any while hunting. Big bucks are kinda like raccoons. Very nocturnal and not all that interested in cams and bait piles. Very few if any of the yearlings and 2.5 year olds in my area have been shot in the last few years, but I'm still not seeing many bucks(cam or otherwise). In zone 7 were I hunt, there are only 100-150 bucks shot in the fall. There have to be mature bucks around. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice variety!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is my last year running around looking for giant bucks. Not worth it. There are only a few of those bucks I would shoot. We have a young heard in a province where the majority of hunters are happy shooting yearling bucks. Many shoot a small buck in the last week just to say they shot a deer. That is one of the reasons if not the main one why you see so many small bucks in my photos.
So does that mean you're not going to hunt, or just going to stick to one area and hope for the best? I dissagree about not worth trying to find a big buck, that's the fun of it, and we all know they're out there. The thought of Old Terrible out there crawling around the backwoods, perhaps never have had eyes laid on him, gives me shivers and I always want to find him. I also run 7 cams and this is my threshold, any more and I'd feel like I were running around all the time. As it is now with 7, I consider it enjoying nature when I go out to check them. My cameras aren't spread out like yours though, that's a big difference. It would be hard to maintain that many over such a large expanse. Kind of fun though, always seeing different deer. Sticking to one area might be a nice change for you to relax and enjoy hunting/nature instead of running around - obviously the area where you have pics of big guys! A big reason why you see so many small bucks is a little more complex than just NB hunters taking yearlings (although I certainly agree this is a factor!)....2 hard winters a few years back = high fawn kill resulting in low numbers of 3.5 and 4.5 bucks now. 2 easy winters in 2011 and 2012 = high fawn survival resulting in plenty of 1.5 and 2.5 bucks now.

Great pics thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh I see....I didn't factor in the dollars! I thought you meant because of the time. 6 weeks off, I'm jealous. I started to figure out the $/lb of deer meat and stopped before I finished tallying up the costs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts