New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
What do you guys think of bucks only every other year and then give out a good number of antlerless tags the following year. Alternate through this system and see what happens. Will still grow the herd and allow some bucks to make it past 2 1/2 years of age.

Doesn't look like the DNR is going to up the number of antlerless tags anytime soon and most zones are pretty much bucks only. The government is managing for numnbers and not big bucks. Makes sense I guess when the deer numbers are so low.

But I'm thinking that increasing the number of doe tags every other year may be a better system. Maybe even every second year. I have seen first hand what bucks only can do to an area from a quality perspective. I've seen a fast herd growth due to no antlerless tags but then I've seen the slaughtering of bucks in the same area after a few years of bucks only.

I'm thinking if the antlerless tags would have been given out with decent numbers after year 2 of no doe tags that a few bucks may have been spared and able to grow up to be mature big bucks.

I know it works in Quebec for moose where the hunting pressure is crazy!. Every other year they increase the number or antlerless tags and it takes pressure off the bulls.

What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Great to have some ideas bucknut. I realize the status quo is not working but I am pretty sure hunting pressure is not the problem. If we increase the deer herd then we have more big bucks. That is what dnr is trying to achieve (not trying real hard though).If you have 100 deer and 10 are mature bucks then if you build your herd to 200 deer then you have 20 mature bucks. Our problem is the herd numbers not the number of bucks. Just saying that you cant really compare moose and deer. Managing them are completly different.They need mature bulls to breed the cows or the whole population colapses. Unlike deer that will breed with any buck a cow moose will go barren before she breeds with an imature bull. That is why they manage them for mature bulls.

·
Registered
634 Posts
From my observations I see where the bucks are not allowed to grow old. I would say that hunting pressure is definitely the main cause why we have very few mature bucks. I mean bucks that dress out at 185 lbs and up.

No doubt at all the main reason for the low number of deer overall is not hunting pressure. But with whatever our herd numbers are at I would like to see more big bucks compared to the number mature does we have.

Let the little spikes grow older. That is the word from QDM. The herd will probably never grow much larger then it is right now. Even with a few mild winters. Because in one hard winter you go back to where you started or worse. Let's face it. They are not creating more private land and the crown land will never be any good. Our own biologist will tell you that we will never have it as good as it was. So with what we have to work with we might as well manage it based on the herd numbers we have now and go for a quality deer herd. Because our quantity won't be much different then it is now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can't speak on things in other areas; but here in zone 10/11, it will not help.
If there is not enough wintering area, the herd will not survive. Its simply! If a DWA can only support 30 deer, putting 60 in there will not grow any populations. More will die, maybe not the first winter or so, but as the browse depletes and one bad winter, bang Crash.
That's the sad fact.
Deer populations in my area will never be much more than what they are now in my lifetime...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Must gather strength....get..away...from com...puter. Constant talk...<sigh>....of No Big...Bucks.....in...New Bruns...wick, is making...me...weary !!!

Must rest now.
LOL Before the seasone Its always "I cant wait till opening day, trailcam pics of big bucks, all kinds of vacation for deer season, Big buck all picked out etc" then after deer season DOOM AND GLOOM....LOL

The guys on here that killed a "mature" buck this year should definitely get it mounted, by the sounds of things, they might only get 1 more in their lifetime...LOL

Should start a new contest with new teams..Contest name: The Piss, Moan, and Groan Club. Or Can I have some cheese with my whineeeeee....LOL

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guys on here that killed a "mature" buck this year should definitely get it mounted, by the sounds of things, they might only get 1 more in their lifetime...LOL
Don't laugh! That is a strong possibility.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Coyote hunting???? I say I get my fat ass to the gym. I need to lose 40 pounds.
This past year's health issues turned me soft.

I need to start hunting those ridges in Sussex.

Rod would lose his job if he did what hunters want to see changed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts