New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of starting to build a camp, we put in a road and cleared the lot. We plan on building it 16x20 and out of spruce logs. We have about 20 logs cut and peeled so far, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience, tips, or ideas.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am in the process of starting to build a camp, we put in a road and cleared the lot. We plan on building it 16x20 and out of spruce logs. We have about 20 logs cut and peeled so far, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience, tips, or ideas.
I helped a guy build a log house. We did it scandinavian style. There was no need to caulk the joints. He did the scribing and I ran the saw. I found the hardest part of the job was the skining. If you have any questions I might be able to answer fire away. Have fun doing it. I found it very rewarding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First tip is to let the logs dry for as long as possible before building....they will shrink and crack if they are to green. Are you building with the logs standing up, or laying down?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the slow reply guys, we plan on building it with the logs laying horizontal on top of one another. We were thinking about getting a guy with a portable sawmill to take a slab off either side so then we would have at least 2 square sides. We have about 25 or so cut and peeled so far, hopefully we'll have it built by the fall as long as we can find/make the time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is just a suggestion. Cut about a 3 inch wide by 3 inch deep notch like an upside down V on the bottom side of your logs.( something like this ^ ) Put insulation in this V and your good to place your log on the top of another one. As the logs dry out more and settle they will slip down over the log under it just a bit forming a nice tight fit. This will also mean less cracks/splits in your logs and less caulking between the logs. This is something that I have seen done by an experienced log home builder near where I live, and he swears by it. Good-Luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ryan shot a ten with that anwser. That is the best way. It also helps keep the flys out. Log camps if not sealed right will allow thousands of flys in when it becomes cold.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey I just got finished building my own timber frame.My advise to you is study it and plan, plan , plan, even before you start cutting any trees, make sure you have a solid plan.The internet has a lot of great sites and discussion boards like this one from guys who have already went through the growing pains...if ya know what I mean.There are pros from all over the world willing to give advise.It took me 2 years of planning before I cut any wood.But when it came time to build there was no questions or head scratching.The plans were drawn and everything went smooth, and I am not a carpenter but learned everything from studying it on line, and talking to people.It also saved me from making some serious mistakes.But above all dont scrimp on your foundation.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey I just got finished building my own timber frame.My advise to you is study it and plan, plan , plan, even before you start cutting any trees, make sure you have a solid plan.The internet has a lot of great sites and discussion boards like this one from guys who have already went through the growing pains...if ya know what I mean.There are pros from all over the world willing to give advise.It took me 2 years of planning before I cut any wood.But when it came time to build there was no questions or head scratching.The plans were drawn and everything went smooth, and I am not a carpenter but learned everything from studying it on line, and talking to people.It also saved me from making some serious mistakes.But above all dont scrimp on your foundation.
Any pics?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats on getting your camp up. Just in time to start filling it with some good memories.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts