New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well picked up the materials to build a new target butt today. 1/2" threaded rods, 2 sheets of tintest, eyelets, nuts, washers. I have some 2x6 board here.

Will post some pics of construction and final product when complete.

Materials were less than $50.00 and will make a 24x24x6" butt with enough left over to replace the center when it gets shot out. I have a larger 4'x4'x6" but wanted a smaller one to put in the basement to do some tuning and work on my release.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok built a new Target Butt this evening and thought I would share some pics...

This first few are measuring the tintest, running a chaulk line and cutting...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Next we stacked up the pieces of Tintest, drilled the 2x6 and fitted the 1/2" rods...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put the top board on and tightened it up, added a couple eyelets on top and a rope to hang it if I want. I counter sunk the bottom so it would sit flat on a bench or the floor.
Then I made a few target pins to hold the targets out of wire close hangers. I put them in the vise and twisted them to form the pin and cap then cut them to lenght. Added the target and voila ready to shoot!
I have left the rods long at the moment until I decide if I want to cut them off flush or leave a little so that they can be sunk in the ground to act as stabilizer pins.
the last one I built I drilled all the tintest and threaded the rods but it's a pain to replace the centers as you have to take them all off. This way with the rods outside I just loosen it up take out the shot out ones and insert new ones then just tighten it back up.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Final Product!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not to be negative or anything but seems alitle thin doesnt it bowtech any ive seen have been a litle thicker, How far are the arrows goin into it

·
Registered
12 Posts
if it is tight enough,not far i bet.i have one that stands in the back yard but has wheels so i can roll it into the basement if i want to.what kind of arrows are you useing?the butt should be placed in such a way that the sheets /seams should run vertical.arrows have a tendancy to tip up/down on impact.if they try to tip on a horizonal butt they might bend if you use aluminum arrows.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The depth they penetrate depend on how tight you screw it down. I keep mine fairly loose so it's easier to pull the arrows so they penetrate 8" or two inches through the butt.
Deadeyes...I've never noticed the arrow tipping up or down in the butt. You would have the same issue side to side when on the vertical if it was a problem. I've been shooting this same butt design here and at clubs for 12 years without problem with all types of arrows. My current ones are Easton ACC but I've used both aluminum and carbon. Whether it is turned horizontal or vertical should not make a difference since tintest makes it almost non dimensional. I've never bent an arrow in one from shooting, even a thin walled aluminum.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any building supply store will carry it. Got this at Home Hardware and they even cut it up in 4'x 2' strips for me to take in the van. Get the cheaper "indoor" stuff not the "outdoor". The outdoor stuff has tar in it to protect it from weathering but it makes it nasty on arrows.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great job, Bowtech!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Great work
I like it...

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
i wasn't thinking of building one FOR YOU --- LOL

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mu in you will need to leave sheets 8ft long though so you don't miss.

Bowtech what do you think of easton acc arrows
Personally I love ACC's. I like the weight at 8.8gr/", good mid range for quiet shooting but also a little speed. Better out of the box accuracy than carbons, better spine consistency, etc. When I buy a dozen I have a dozen arrows that fly great, I don't have 9 that are good 2 that need to be worked over and 1 that needs to be thrown out.
They are pricey at $150.00/doz but for a province with one deer/bear/year limit and a few shots at the odd grouse, rabbit or waterfowl then it will be a lot of years before you need another set. By then you will have changed your whole set-up anyway.
I used aluminums for a lot of years, switched to carbons, went back to aluminums, swicthed to ACC's, went to carbon/kevlar and then switched back to ACC and been there ever since. For all round hunting, 3D and shooting I can't ask for any better.
Yes, they can be bent but unless a deer rolls on them I have never bent one. I have broken a couple over the years by hitting rock when I missed a grouse or rabbit but I blew up a couple carbons the same way so I don't pay much attention when people say carbons are so much better because they are either straight or broken. One or two arrows every few years is a small sacrifice to me for consistent quality.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts