New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Great info rifle builder. In the right situation many bullets will work. However when really pushed the performance differences come out.

Buckhunter Hornady suggests 2000 fps to open up. On their site they show bullets fired at different velocity. At 2000 the expansion is limited.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Federal is hot on their Trophy Bonded which is a tipped bonded bullet. They have also introduced their Copper line of monolithic bullet like Barnes TTSX or Hornady GMX. Any of these or the Accubond would be great in 165 or 180 (or even 150 for that matter). Good to use a well constructed bullet that will not disintegrate but shot placement is always key.

Riflebuilder does know his stuff.

·
Registered
177 Posts
HunterSmitty the Trophy Bonded Tips are Federals bullets in the Vital Shok line along with bullets from other bullet makers. In their 2012 catalogue they list 12 different bullets in that line including the Trophy Copper (their own monolithic), the Trophy Bonded Tips, Barnes TSX and Noslers Accubond. As other have said bullets that fragment can do massive damage however penetration is limited and the damage may not be in the vitals on quartering shots or if the bullet hits bone.

There is some compromise with expansion and penetration however modern bonded and monolithic bullets try to maximize both to the extent possible.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Riflebuilder,
Bravo! Excellent study on bullet performance. All groups look around 1 inch except the 168 A-max normally seated. Seat them father out and they seem to tighten up. Do you think it is the shape (taper) or just a quirk with gun and bullet? Anything to be learned to apply to looking for another bullet for the range?

No problem to come up with a hunting load. Both GMX and TSX look good (was it the tipped or older style bullet?)

I'm surprised the Sierra is coming apart at a relatively low velocity. I guess that says a lot about traditional cup and core bullets. Was it shot into sand?

I don't have enough experience on game to really know if light or heavy for calibre is the way to go however target shooters seem to like heavy and most seasoned big game hunters recommend the same.

Tks for all your hard work Riflebuilder.
J

·
Registered
177 Posts
HunterSmitty,
I see you lean toward the light for calibre bullets. Have you gotten good penetration with the Interbond? I'm told they really expand and stay together but does that compromise penetration? I also have have a Tikka 270 and have been shooting Superformence 130 but in the SST. I also got 140 SST (have not shot any) but have not seen Interbond or GMX for sale.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Buckhunter,
I've seen C Tire has some limited selection and only occasionally. I always look where they sell Superformance and Interbond and GMX are hard to find and only in some calibre's. Good to know about shipping costs. When you think about how few bullets you actually use hunting and the impact (pun intended) of a malfunction premium bullets are a great investment.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What is the rifle? It the bullet a long way from the lands? Just trying to figure out why rifles like one bullet and shoot poorly with another. Maybe there is no simple answer.

Haven't had a chance to shoot my reloads yet but plan to go to the range today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Really these are only monolithic (all copper or alley) except the XP3 has lead in the base to make it have a heavier to weight ratio. The ammo and gun combo above with 165 GMX worked well on NFL moose in my 300WSM. So you may want to look at GMX or TTSX.

If you are looking at long shots where your velocity goes below 2000fps you may want to look at traditional bonded bullets. I recovered a 165 Accubond from a deer. It entered the neck and lodged by the skin in the back leg (20 to 24 in penetration.) The bullet produced a perfect classic mushroom and weighed 120gm's. Interbond or Trophy bonded should be quite similar.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi,

Riflebuilder loaded many of these different bullets for my 300 wsm. They were shot from an Browning X-bolt and many are on the early posts. (I also have a BLR 300 at my son's but he has tried to lay claim to it. He is a lefty so I like guns that are left friendly.)

I have seen riflebuilders set up and it is good. I have a 165 GMX shot from a 300 WSM, recovered from his set up and a 165 Accubond that went lengthways though a deer. Both have perfect mushrooms. However the GMX was within a couple of graims of 165. The Accubond weighted about 120 gms and was that much smaller than the Gmx. My concern is are we eating the other 40 gms because it is in minute pieces?

I did use the gmx 165 300 wsm on a NFL moose. The first shot would have been fatal but I put 2 more though the moose. All were pass though and not recovered. The 165 accubond was shot from a tree stand and quatering away. It entered the medium sized buck though the neck, went across and though the body cavity and stopped by the skin on the opposite side just in front of the hind leg. The deer was dead when it hit the ground. I also like the Barnes, TTSX. I think they are both accurate (Gmx) from my limited testing. The TTSX is pure brass and from searches I believe it is somewhat more likely to lose its petals than the gmx. In reading about it seems to work somewhat like the Partician. It was one of the first premium bullets that performed well and consistantly in big game. It would often loose petals and keep penetrating,.. perhaps not a bad thing.

I believe Berger bullets on the other hand are based on a different principle. They were a target bullet that some long distance shooters tried on big game. They work like a varmit round except they enter 2 or 3 inches before blowing up. They can result in dramatic kills but if a heavy bone is hit they may produce a cripple with little blood trail. They often do not pass though. Maximum force is used on the game but not always in lethal spots. That is why I prefer monolithics such (as TTSX or Gmx) or bonded bullets.

My thoughts,

Frosty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.