New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Depending on the type of ammunition you buy, the 180gr actually out performs the 165gr. For instance the Federal Premium loaded with Barnes TSX, the 180gr actually carries more velocity and has better trajectory at long range than the 165 and the average range ballistics are so close it's not worth talking about. I'd go with the 180gr, no such thing as "Too Much" IMO

·
Registered
177 Posts
HunterSmitty the Trophy Bonded Tips are Federals bullets in the Vital Shok line along with bullets from other bullet makers. In their 2012 catalogue they list 12 different bullets in that line including the Trophy Copper (their own monolithic), the Trophy Bonded Tips, Barnes TSX and Noslers Accubond. As other have said bullets that fragment can do massive damage however penetration is limited and the damage may not be in the vitals on quartering shots or if the bullet hits bone.

There is some compromise with expansion and penetration however modern bonded and monolithic bullets try to maximize both to the extent possible.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm trying to figure out which bullets to by, and figured someone in here may have some good experience. I'm looking to use the same bullet for Moose and Deer this year, so I was thinking a 165 grain should be enough for a moose, and perfect for deer. I'm looking on the cabela's site, and it seems hard to pick the right shell. It doesnt seem like you can get a Nosler Accubond in the 165 grain in the Federal Premiums.

Here is a picture of the options:

Anyone have a preference in the Federal Premiums that would be good for Moose and Deer for a Tikka 30-06?
check out Hornady's (superformance) Interbonds. it's on Cabela's site. They have them in 150, 165 and 180 grain. i'd personally go with the 150 grain with that bullet out your 30 06. i shoot the interbond's 130 grain out my Tikka 270 and there wicked. group shots about 1 inch at 100 yards. check out Hornady's web site for the ballistics and you will see that the 150 grain packs as much of a punch as the heavier grains cause of it's velocity. 150 grain interbond Surperformance delivers 2700 ft/lbs at 100 yards. now if that ain't enough for a moose shot in the vitals nothing will
i'v also tested them in different test mediums and they hold together well with perfect mushroom

·
Registered
177 Posts
Riflebuilder,
Bravo! Excellent study on bullet performance. All groups look around 1 inch except the 168 A-max normally seated. Seat them father out and they seem to tighten up. Do you think it is the shape (taper) or just a quirk with gun and bullet? Anything to be learned to apply to looking for another bullet for the range?

No problem to come up with a hunting load. Both GMX and TSX look good (was it the tipped or older style bullet?)

I'm surprised the Sierra is coming apart at a relatively low velocity. I guess that says a lot about traditional cup and core bullets. Was it shot into sand?

I don't have enough experience on game to really know if light or heavy for calibre is the way to go however target shooters seem to like heavy and most seasoned big game hunters recommend the same.

Tks for all your hard work Riflebuilder.
J

·
Registered
177 Posts
HunterSmitty,
I see you lean toward the light for calibre bullets. Have you gotten good penetration with the Interbond? I'm told they really expand and stay together but does that compromise penetration? I also have have a Tikka 270 and have been shooting Superformence 130 but in the SST. I also got 140 SST (have not shot any) but have not seen Interbond or GMX for sale.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Frosty , All bullets are shot into a 1 gallon water jug in front of a box with dry, compacked news print about 18" long , with 3 phone books or catologs in the rear , and a block of soft wood 18'' long as the final back stop. shot at 100 yrds. no bullet made it to the 3 rd phone book. it is a tough test on a bullet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ended up going with the Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip in the 180 grain. I ended up watching this video which shows the tests for 4 different tips in their Federal Premium line:

They do tests with deer hide, then again with moose hide/bone.

It seems like the Barnes Triple Shok had great results, but the TBT had very good results as well even when they tests with a moose hide/bone. I would have ordered the Barnes tip but it didnt list them on the cabela's site. Thanks for the info guys, hopefully I made the right choice!

·
Registered
189 Posts
HunterSmitty,
I see you lean toward the light for calibre bullets. Have you gotten good penetration with the Interbond? I'm told they really expand and stay together but does that compromise penetration? I also have have a Tikka 270 and have been shooting Superformence 130 but in the SST. I also got 140 SST (have not shot any) but have not seen Interbond or GMX for sale.
The SST make a real mess! wicked blood shot and meat loss. to be honest i'v never had the chance to try the Interbond on game besides birds lol
. but i have shot them through wet news paper and a wet block of spruce. Penetration for the wet news paper was about 17 inches. The wet spruce block was 14 inches thick and i got a complet pass through and recovered the bullet in the sand bank behind it. Perfect mushroom! if i knew how to post pics i'd show it. Also shot a SST through the same block and was not impressed, very little lead left in the jacket.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.