New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have not seen any interbonds yet in 270 but bought some GMX yesterday.
Cabela.ca Thats where i buy Interbond's. About 47$ a box with shipping. if you buy more then 1 box the shipping will be less. it's about 9$ shipping for 1 box and if you buy 2 it's about 13$. It's not so bad when you think of it, it's delivered right to your door. dont got to drive no where to get them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks Buckhunter,
I've seen C Tire has some limited selection and only occasionally. I always look where they sell Superformance and Interbond and GMX are hard to find and only in some calibre's. Good to know about shipping costs. When you think about how few bullets you actually use hunting and the impact (pun intended) of a malfunction premium bullets are a great investment.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Same here, really appreciate the work on all them bullet's you posted. Very interesting and gives us a good idea on how different bullets performe. Thanks Riflebuilder!
X2 -- an excellent post..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Barnes 130g TTSX

Barnes_130g_TTSX_Vels_3217.jpg

Barnes-130g-TTSX-Vels-3217.jpg

225g Nosler Accobond , vels 2583

338-225g-Accabond.jpg

Top photo bullet is a Barnes 130g TTSX fired form a .300 win mag at a vels of 3216, min start load , shot from 20 feet , rifle had no sights or scope ( I installed a muzzle brake) I missed the water jug (bullet whent though the handle.LOL ,and the bullet went straight though the 15" of newsprint , though 2 phone book , through 2 sears catologs and stopped 1" into the block of softwood.

Photo 2 is a .338 win mag , 225g Nosler Accobond , vels 2583 , shot from 50 feet. ( installed a brake on it to) it had a scope ( hit the jug
biggrin.png
) but I only had 2 rounds , so I did not sight it in. it whent though the jug , 15" of news print , 2 sears catalogs and stopped in the second phone book.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Riflebuilder, i'm sure you load for 270 win. what's the maximum velocity you have ever got with a 130g or 150g. I know some load them dame hot but would they still get faster then 3200fps like the superformance's from hornady. if yes you could say your shooting like a 270 short mag. cause even at 3200fps it's pretty dame close. dont think any animal would know the difference between the 270 win or short mag
Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I had a Win 70 feather wieght .270 win from 85 to 94, its easy to get a 130g to over 3000 fps( but every gun is differant) and a 150g to 2800-2900 fps. Hornady is using gun powders that we can not get, to boost there fps. To find ( foot pounds of energy) you multitply , bullet wieght in grains X velocity Sqaured , . So a .270 win , 130g bullet , going 3000 fps has a kinetic energy of 2597.4833 FPE . A .270 WSM or 270 Win Superformance, with a 130g bullet , going 3200 fps , has a kinetic energy of ( 130X3200X3200/450436 ) = 2955.3588 FPE . thats a difference of 357.8755 FPE . No game is going to know the difference. and you will have a little flatter trajectory. BUT velocity and kinetic energy , do not kill game unless your shot placement is correct.

PS If anyone is in the Moncton area, and wants to do a bullet test on there Caliber gun , just send a PM to me, and we will go the the range ( 5 Minutes from my house) , and we will try your load out. just bring some catologs or phone books ( I'am running out) , and some jugs ( I will provide the water LOL) . I would love to try some other calibers, and bullet wieghts out. Riflebuilder

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Some of the blended powders are trickling down to us....upwards of a few hundred fps faster with no overpressure...
I still say accuracy is wayyyyyy more important than a few hundred fps.....
Example.....
If you were two inches off at 100 yards.....you missed the bull by a FOOT at 600.....so it really doesnt matter if the bullet was going 9900 fps does it??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hot Loads are usually Not the most Accurate load, the bullet can be going at lightspeed, but it does not do much good, if it misses the vitals or blows apart on a shoulder bone. But there are sometimes when a hot load will shoot great . I my first 22-250 IMP (Rem 700) , with a Heavy match grade barrel , loved Hornady 40g V-max at a muzzle Vels of 4536 fps, and would group 3/8" or better at 100 yrds. Shot a ground hog at 35 ydrs , blew a 5" hole in the chest, and did not come out the back. Ground hog just flopped over.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Top photo bullet is a Barnes 130g TTSX fired form a .300 win mag at a vels of 3216, min start load , shot from 20 feet , rifle had no sights or scope ( I installed a muzzle brake) I missed the water jug (bullet whent though the handle.LOL ,and the bullet went straight though the 15" of newsprint , though 2 phone book , through 2 sears catologs and stopped 1" into the block of softwood.

Photo 2 is a .338 win mag , 225g Nosler Accobond , vels 2583 , shot from 50 feet. ( installed a brake on it to) it had a scope ( hit the jug
) but I only had 2 rounds , so I did not sight it in. it whent though the jug , 15" of news print , 2 sears catalogs and stopped in the second phone book.For the first time i shot through a stack of dry news papers. Bundle was packed real tight. Only got 10 inches of penetration. 270 win Interbond 130g 3200fps. Usually i tie up a bundle of news prints not so tight and soak it in water for a few hours and then let the water drip out and got about 17 inches of penetration with that test.Must of been cause this time the papers were packed to tight?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Buckhunter , when you shot the tightly packed dry news papers, you got less penetration (10") because it is much more dense, than the water soaked paper. (17") I have a .325 WSM here to play with this weekend , going to the range today, to see how accuarate it is with factory loads( to empty some brass) , then I will work up some reloads , I will try a test on the Winchester 220g PP , and Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 180g. reloads will be 180g Nosler BT and Speer 170g Hot cores. will post pics. when I get done. Rilfebuilder

·
Registered
177 Posts
What is the rifle? It the bullet a long way from the lands? Just trying to figure out why rifles like one bullet and shoot poorly with another. Maybe there is no simple answer.

Haven't had a chance to shoot my reloads yet but plan to go to the range today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Frosty , the rifle is a Browning A-bolt Gold Medallion .325WSM , beautiful gun , ammo shot yesterday, is factory , but I have reloaded the brass with nosler 180g BT and Speer 170g hot-core, load to max lenght that will fit in the mag , to try after I get the brake installed . (Just trying to figure out why rifles like one bullet and shoot poorly with another) . It has a lot to do with where the throat lead angle engages the bullets ogive ,( major dia) . you can have 2 rifles the same make and caliber . and 1 will shoot a bullet great, and the other will not.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
there was some serious penetration on that doe even at 400+yards. A bit messy but I didn't have to clean it LOL
Overall very limited meat loss. I was expecting more meat damage to be honest.

Robin

Pic #2 was that the bullet from my 30-06??

I used the same load that dropped my 5pt at 270yrds in his tracks last week

41 - 60 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.