New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
This forum was very educational! And I thought all this time my Federal Power Shok bullets were good enough! Looks like I'll be switching to premium bullets next fall! Likely, Federal TBT or Barnes Vor-Tx!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love reading the results of these type of tests. I am always impressed with the amount of time and effort people put into these tests. Riflebuilder I have read through each post with intrigue . There is another impressive test done by a fellow named BCsteve on the canadiangunnutz forum that is also very informative and your work here reminds me of his tests.

The one bullet that interests me that I have yet to see tested is the trophy bonded tip.

here are some great links to some other tests for those who enjoy reading these types of things.

Lubrication test...very extensive and informative It made me change my gun oil after reading it and seeing the photo evidence.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/141077-Results-of-gun-care-product-evaluation

AND here is another bullet test with a lot of common bullets as well as some uncommon items. It was what convinced me to use barnes for anything I intend to eat Page 19 has part 2 of his tests

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/162814-**Huge-CGN-264-Bullet-Test-Result**-(lots-of-pics!)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Hey Jeff , I will not be able to go any were for at least 10 weeks , 2 weeks ago I fell on ice. and tore the Quadricep tendon off my right knee , and had surgery to re attach it to the knee cap , and I am in a full leg brace for 8 weeks,( its straight now) that will bend the knee to more of a angle over time reset every 2 weeks or so . too get the full range of movement back . the recovery time is at least 12 weeks or more . with a lot of physiotherapy . it sucks . but I get though it. Robin

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow that really sucks. If you are up for visitors I'll drop by when it works for you. My thoughts and best wishes are with you.

J

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Thanks Jeff , but that's a long drive for you to see a couch potato. lol , needless to said , I am little behind on your reloading , I do have 50 cases annealed and trimmed, I found 7 cases that had cracked necks, and though them out , when I filled the 50 case loading block up , hope the rest of the cases are not as bad . just give me a call some time . Robin

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks too photo bucket wanting $400.00 a year to use there site , not in this life , I have to rebuild all my post , as I get time ,

Here Nosler 210g Accubond , at Vel 3085 , from my 300 Rum , 43% WR

20170817-122657.jpg

150G Nosler E-Tip . Vel 3633 ,from my 300 Rum 99% WR

20170817-122712.jpg

From the Nosler Form

Swift Scirocco II 257 100g 71.9g

257-100-G-Scirocco-II-vel-3482.jpg

Swift Scirooco II 338 , 210g , weight 190.9g , 0.739" dia

210-g-Scirocco-II-338.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here are some pics of Scirocco II bullets in a number of calibers From the Nosler Forum . As you can tell , I Am very impressed with the 180g Scirocco II bonded bullets, shot from my 300 RUM . I have gotten a bear at 388 yards , double lung shot , and it only went 15 yards and my 4 point spike deer last year at 457 yards. high shoulder shot, it went straight down . nice big exit holes in both animals , showed good expansion and weight retention. will test the .257 100g Scirocco II from my 257 weatherby soon .

180g .308

180_g_Scirocco_II.jpg

180_g_Scirocco_II.jpg_2.jpg

100g 257 Scirocco II

100_g_257_scirocco_II.jpg

130g .264 Scirocco II

130g_.264_Scirocco_II.jpg

150g 7mm rem mag Scirocco II

7mm_150_Swift_Sciricco_II_137g_and_139g.

.338 210g Scirocco II

210_g_Scirocco_II_338.jpg

210_g_Scirocco_II_338.jpg_2.jpg

210_g_Scirocco_II_338.jpg_3.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Whats the best way for me too fix all the photo's that photobucket has blocked for all my post?. What source do I use the upload pics from my PC and transfer into the nb hunting url that is free ? . Do I have to delete all the photo's that are there now from photobucket or can pasted over them?, or would it be easier to start a new post , and copy and paste the word text in to it , and than place the photo's in . Help what be appreciated . Robin

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Google Chrome and Firefox have found a way to access the photos that Photobucket.com does not now allow you to post to 3rd party sites anymore without paying a high price.

"In the cases where former/current PhotoBucket users haven't deleted all their albums:

Chrome and Firefox now have an extension, Photobucket Embed Fix, that will display 3rd party hosted images. It will fix all your broken pics, no need for you to do anything, it runs entirely in the background.

Click Tools>Add-Ons (Or press CTL+Shift+A) >select Extensions > enter "photobucket embed" in the Search box (upper right corner) > then click the install button."

this does work, i tried it!

riflebuilder, if you cant get it...i will do it for you when i pop by next

ok

you can only view them using this

sorry

·
Registered
172 Posts
I finally got my 257 Weatherby I built broke in on a animal , shot this little spike horn on Nov 5 , 100g Swift Scirocco II bullet . 285 yards Vel 3494 . bullet completely penetrated , exiting the thigh of the left leg . lungs were jello , and were the bullet entered the ribs , there was a hole just a little smaller than my fist , like it expanded as it hit the hide . the exit hole was just over 1/2" in size . 88 lbs of meat , was a fare amount of bloodshot , so next time I will try the Barnes 100g TTSX out , and see if it does less bloodshot. 100g Swift Scirocco II in my test , weight was 71.9g

20181105-101515.jpg

20181105-103023.jpg

20181114-180521.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Finally got to try out the Trophy Bonded Tipped bullets in 7mm Rem mag . I must get a box of 165g .308 " to try in the 300 RUM . Quite impressed with these Trophy Bonded Tipped bullets.

140g load vel 3140 0.608" dia

Trophy-bonded-tipped-140g-7mm-Rem-mag-ve

160g load vel 2910 .547" dia

Trophy-bonded-tipped-7mm-160g-Rem-Mag-ve

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
The Nova Scotia Hunting forum seems to be alive and well , but NB has died for some reason , anyway if anyone is out there. ?
I have built a 375 H&H on my Montana 1999 action , the barrel came from my cousins estate , and was on a Mauser standard length action (30 06) and was a single shot , because a 375 H&H loaded round will not fit in the magazine , which I thought was weird , and got weirder when I removed the barrel for the action , I discovered that the barrel was bent bad enough that when looking down the bore , you could only see a 3/4 circle out the muzzle .I showed it to a number of people , but did not take a photo which i now regret , it had a bend 8" in front of the chamber , with scoff marks , stock was not broken , so they must have changed the stock. Run over with a Truck ? no idea . So I called JC Barrels to ask Jc if he thought it could be straighten , he was worried about making stress fractures while straitening it . So since I had nothing too loss by trying , I took it over to a friends shop , with a big arbore press . We put the barrel in v blocks either side of the bend , and went at it , with 2 dial indicators to track the run out , and kept bend it until we got it to 0.005" total run out . So I set it up the my lathe , cut the old chamber off , and redialed the bore were the new chamber throat would be , 0.0005" was as close as I could get it , drilled out most of the steel , 0.05" under diameter , bored with a carbide boring bar , to 0.03" under reamer diameter so now the whole chamber is in line straight with the throat , were the bullet first touches , and reamed the chamber , and threaded to the action .
Glad I did , it shoots just fine .
Made a 144 hole muzzle brake , and the rifle is very pleasant to shoot , I fired over 30 shots one range trip , and had no discomfort . 3 or 4 shots out of a 30-06 or 300 win mag , will cause me to have neck pain from my neck surgery . Had a lady shoot it with 300 gr bullets , and she though it was great .

Targets shot with Winchester 300 gr Sliver tips Factory ammo

Winchester 300 gr Sliver tips Factory ammo

300 Gr Nosler Accubond Vel 2587 Energy 4457 FP Weight Retained 0.694 %

Nosler 260 gr Partition Vel 2647 Energy 4118 FP Weight Retained 0.77 %

260 Gr Nosler Partition Vel 2741 Energy 4346 0.674% Weight Retained

For size comparison
260 Gr Nosler Partition , 185 gr 45 ACP , 300 gr Nosler Accubond

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
Now the hard part , getting drawn for a moose licence . I have had a moose tag 2 times in 36 years .
I have never had a 7mm cal yet , so my next build may be a 28 Nosler on a Winchester 70 long action , or I have never had a brand new rifle either , so may be a Browning Long range max in 300 RUM , and make it a switch barrel gun with a JC Custom barrel in 7 mm , 1-7.5 " twist in 28 Nosler , then I would have both calibers . Its kind of nice to have a detachable clip magazine , instead of a blind magazine .

101 - 116 of 116 Posts