New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Former Mod
1,125 Posts
Here are some pics from the last 10 days, Moosebuck's and my spot. Sorry for the poor camera angle, Moosebuck swap SD card from one camera site to the other by mistake, and the camera was not repositionned properly.

Hey Moosebuck, don't even think for a second that by taking my pics to your cams that those big bulls are gonna follow LOL!

· Registered
126 Posts
Well looks like big boy know where his terratory is now, thats the one i'm gona kill, i just know it, ill put 100$ on it now....
In all moose season looks promissing with all the pics that we have + we have 4 tags, lets hope that the rut is gona be in full swing during those 3 awsum days, prediction 3 moose the first day and the last one on friday...got to be positive

next round of pics next monday...

· Former Mod
1,125 Posts
Friday evening, August 13th, took a drive to the camp with my wife and we looped around to the salt lick to retrieve sd cards. When I walk in to the site, I always let out a couple of soft calls to mimick a feeding moose, to keep the animals at ease, if any are close by.

While I was re-programming my cam, I tought I heard a critter walking in the cedar swale to my back. Then after I was done, and slowly walking up the hill, I heard a very distinct low guttural sound, just like a breathing bull moose, real close (about 200ft away).

The next 15 minutes was the most exciting calling session for moose I've ever had,,,I set up a dialogue with this big bull moose by initially imitating a feeding cow and a calf, than just for kicks I let out a cow in heat soft call and a competitor love sick bull.....I know too early right?....wrong! This huge bull started grunting back at me and came out to within bow range in the bottom of the cutover. He then took off on a dash to get my wind and that's when I stopped 'cause the last thing I wanted to do was disturb game, out of season, which if I'm not mistaken is illegal.

Still the most intense calling session I've had with a big bull moose, up close and personal in a little while. My wife knew something was up she said looking at me from the truck down the trail with arms waiving in the air and doing all kinds of crazy sounds

Does anybody on here have had similar encounters this early? August 13th!!!

The buck that came out is pictured in this thread (black and white pic from July 19th, long front daggers, the big one).

Simply amazing. Certainly boost my confidence for calling one out for my dad comes the fall.

· Former Mod
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Moosebuck,

I was looking at the pics last nite on the PC, the card you gave me at the spot last nite. There's that big bull again that just cruised accross the trail at 1:20AM on Saturday nite, as well as the big female you saw on your digital camera. Pics are blurry he was far off the other side, but we could definitely tell it was a mature bull.

Also last week, 2, possibly 3 different bulls (new ones), including a spikey, a 6 pointer and a palmated 30some incher......looking good buddy.....looking real good

Any good ones come out for a photo opp in your hole?

· Former Mod
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well I played around for 10 minutes tonite with this Big Boy fully peeled, the first bull I see this year without velvet.

He looked to be in the low 40s spread, probably a 4.5yr old bull, but with a good set of shoulders. My wife was taking the pics 35 yards away in the truck while I was out on the road playing a tune LOL! The truck was in plain site and he almost committed to come in still this early.

Sorry for the poor quality pics.

· Former Mod
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here's a new kid in town, never got a pic of this one before at the lick. Must be all lonely this time a year with the big bulls herding up all the cows.....we'll try to end his lonesomeness next week!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.