New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Well here goes, seems everybody's cranking a new topic these days on the Forum, so here is how our 2010 moose hunt unfolded.

Like Moosebuck mentioned in a previous topic, we had 4 licences this year and never in a million years did we fathom harvesting 4 moose...but we did!

It all started on Thursday evening with our good hunting partner Mario's perfect oestrous cow imitation that lured in the first hour this beautiful 38 inch bull, shot in a small meadow, on the ground (no stands), at a mere 14 paces. The shooter, a good friend of ours and member of our hunting "posse" t'was his first moose. Needless to say he was elated:

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
On my end of things, I was hunting on a very special hunt this year. My dad was fortunate enough to draw a tag at the ripe old age of 73 and had designated my brother (as I had requested), so they could both have a chance at harvesting their first NB moose. To make it even more special, this was a 3 generation family hunt, as my 15yr old son was pulled out of high school for the hunt.

Thursday 7:02AM, we were walking into our hunting area and I was making tending grunts when I spotted a nice female coming down the ridge to our left. The shot opportunity was poor (from their position anyway), and after playing around with her on the call for a good 2 minutes, too much brush in the way and my brother with a bad case of "cow fever", she spooked and slipped out. Needless to say, my relatives were a bit depressed but still very motivated as to how the hunt had started on a good note and we built from there. I was their guide and I told them right then and there "forget about this, it's just a good practice for what's to come", to which my son replied "dad's right, you guys know we're gonna get the big bull".....little did he know spoken with true wisdom.

The next morning saw us entering the same general area we had trail cams in and a salt lick or 2. We did not prepare any stands this year as my dad is a pretty fidgetty old fellow, can't stay put for more than 30 minutes, and this was fine by me, we would be hunting on the move this year, calling in different spots, which I feel is one of the best method to harvest a moose in a short 3 day season.

Rounding off a bend to access our hunting area, I immediately spotted a big moose slipping out to my right. To make a long story short, I grunted this monster bull back out to within 50 yards with 2 bullets in him, included a well placed lung shot by my dad (we could hear him coughing out in the back cutover). My brother finished the deed with a well placed broadside double lung while I lured him back out with mature bull grunts. Each shot they took, I stopped the bull with loud calls, and each time I lured him back out with mature bull grunts. The whole episode started at 7:08AM, and ended with the last shot at 7:42AM (I told the guys to leave the bull and not push him), the scenario panned out perfectly, I called in a monster bull for my folks, with my son watching the whole show; here are the results, an absolute trophy of a lifetime for my dad, my brother, my son and yours truly:

Dad and I

Dad, my bro and my son

A monster bull in my truck, doesn't get any better!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Congrats on your hunt! Great bull!!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It took us a little while to get it out and into the truck, and the rest of the gang showed up (except Moosebuck who at the time we didn't know had filled his tag). We got him registered at the check station and Moosebuck was right in tow with his cow, so we took the rest of the afternoon to skin moose 2 and moose 3 and hang'em in our walk-in cooler we had built the week before. The whole process was rendered more enjoyable with having a lot of guys down from the woods to help out with the chores and relate the hunts, this is my favorite time of the whole hunt, when we gather and go over the day's events.

We then returned to camp an hour before dark set in our minds to help out our other buddy on Saturday to get his first ever moose, but he surprised us by getting back at camp with a nice young female he perfectly shot while driving the roads and spotting 2 moose in a cutline a half hour before dark (which was way earlier than legal time Friday nite 'cause of the rain and cloud cover). He got out, let out a big cow call, one fleeing moose turned broadside and he made a perfect shot to end a perfect season. Congrats JL on a fine moose! Here's a picture of his female on Saturday morning with the rest of the posse just before we packed out of camp. Apologies for the poor quality pics, t'was raining cats and dogs all nite and morning.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I don't want to risk timing out with the story telling, I talk faster than I type LOL!

I don't have any pics of Moosebuck's big cow shot on Friday morning, but you can see it under topic 4 for 4.

Hope everybody had a grand time, and for those of you who had to eat tag soup, I've been there, it's not fun, but I'm sure you can look back on your hunt and find something positive about it, just to experience the great outdoors does it for me, the rest is icing on the cake!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats Bulls Eye What a beauty of a bull!

Its a hunt like this that your son will be telling his grandchildren about!
I guess you can say he's my good luck charm, I pulled him out of school in 2008 at 13yrs old to participate on my moose hunt, here's the results, last day magic (sorry for the bad hair day pic lol!)

Needless to say he's invited next year if we get another tag in the family!
I have to go write down a slip for his teacher, I think I'm just gonna send her a pic! LOL

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a couple more pics I wanted to post of my buddy's absolute monster of a 62 incher, harvested in an incredible breeding area he found in a remote hardwood ridge 3 years ago, waited over 30 years to finaly get drawn and takes home an unbelievable crown! Congrats Guy on a trophy of a lifetime. Anybody in here know official B&C scorers, he would like to get it scored after the mandatory drying period.

There was a 67 incher registered at Bathurst DNR office on Friday shot by Luke Hadley, I'll try to get some pics for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congratulations Bull's eye on your 2010 moose hunt.Some nice moose there! All the sweeter having your family in on such a great hunt!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Great Stuff, sounds like a lot of fun, Congrats.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good Job BE .
You've given your Son some wonderful memories .
A friend of mine was on a Moose hunt with his Father and Grandfather nearly 30 yrs ago . He missed a few days of school , and although no Moose was shot he still talks about the trip with fondness.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good Job BE .
You've given your Son some wonderful memories .
A friend of mine was on a Moose hunt with his Father and Grandfather nearly 30 yrs ago . He missed a few days of school , and although no Moose was shot he still talks about the trip with fondness.
Thanks GG and others.

My wife wrote the slip this AM for school and never mentioned anything about hunting, so I added my comment, went something like this: was gone hunting with his dad, uncle and grandpa and hunting buddies, we filled 4 tags!

I just picked him up from basketball practice and he told me his teachers all said wow! 4 for 4, you must have had a great time! LOL

Great memories indeed....my father told me today in 60+ years of hunting that this was his best day afield by far...exactly what I wanted it to be!
Remember, it's not what you hunt, it's who you hunt with. We are a big bunch in camp, and we all get along really well, 'cause nobody plays any numbers game and teasing, we're all there just to be there. Whatever happens happens. It was fun to see everybody's reaction when we knew Moosebuck and the others had connected, everybody's rooting for the others, that's what hunting is all about IMHO.

Say Moosebuck, could you email the 3 pics you have of him on the Spypoint "pre-mortem", I'd like to add to my "post-mortem" collection!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
That's an awesome pile of bull!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow...a 67 in Bull Moose!!! Now those pics I'd love to see...Looks like my #3 B&C Bull Moose rack for NB is probably going get knocked down to #4!
Saw a paper pic of the 67 incher this AM at DNR, I think they want to run a story on it or something.

It's not gonna score as high as that 62er, 'cause lacks palmation and height, still very impressive bull nonetheless...

Do you have a pic of your #3? When was it killed? Would like to see a pic of it for sure.

Tks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts