New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my time to hunt in New-Brunswick is very limited this year due to work and family obligations, I tought I'd start a thread and share my 2010 hunting season, which will include a very much anticipated trip to Saskatchewan in a couple of weeks to a friend's farm. Also for your viewing pleasure, a few pics from Western Canada's Mule deer hunt success for my friends and their buddies.

I had reserved this weekend as my only time off to chase ridge running whitetails, but my son's basketball schedule took a turn for the worse lol!,,,I'll be stuck in a gym this weekend, hopefully will try to squeeze in a morning hunt.

Was able to get out yesterday, found some good sign on a remote ridge in the AM (a dozen scrapes or so, a few rubs here and there), did a 3 man push of a ridge in mid - afternoon, no results, so decided to return to morning spot, setup on a saddle overlooking a deep gully 300 ft below, and bang the horns around 4PM.

At 4:20PM, I could hear a deer grunting and comin'in through the gully's funnel, then a couple of rifle shots startled me, a guy was driving the back side of the ridge on a little bird's road and shot the buck crossing the road. I heard car doors, human voices, nothing fancy, and then they drove off.

My bud circle back to me thinking I had shot. We took the truck and circled back down the ridge, took us 30 minutes to find the road, and the gut pile....

I guess it was a close call for me LOL!

10 minutes after legal shooting time, driving back, a 200lbs + 8 pt cross in front of the truck and stopped in the ditch, looking at us....icing on the cake!

Great day to be out, great company, all around really fun.

Get out there!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a pic of my bud's beautiful Mulie harvested in the Cypress Hills region of Southern Sask during week 1.

These guys don't drive around and shoot, they WALK and WALK some more.....7 to 8 miles a day down and up breaks and coulees, spot and stalk and shoot.

2 tags, unseasonably warm weather, they opted out on inferior bucks but didn't pass this big boy up.

Congrats to Mike on a great Mulie!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a couple of pics of the newly constructed ''Gap Stand''. This mini-blind, made with materials readily available on the farm, overlooks a 10 acre field that creates a breach gap in between 2 long bushes, an ideal funnel that deer always filter thru when we push the bush.

This is a common site in the South Central region of Sask, ground blinds made with available materials, some guys even use old combines as blinds!

Can't wait to give this one a try!

Thanks to Mike and Sergie for a nice built:

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few more mulie bucks harvested South of Regina last week by coleagues of my buddy Mike. The rut was really starting to kick in, they saw a load of bucks I guess.

The non-typ nets 181B&C.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bullz, your lucky to get out there every fall. I worked there for two summers as a summer student in the Hudson Bay/Price Albert area abd always swore i'd get back. It was nothing to see 3 or 4 large whitetails together! It was simply amazing the size of the deer in that province. I still keep in touch with the folks I worked with there in hopes I'll be able to get out at some point. I used to see simliar blinds in the middle of nowhere while crusing timber.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Thanks guys. This all began with a chance meeting at one of my son's basketball game a few years ago, I met the father of one of my son's best friend, we became very good friends with similar interests, he invited me out there in 2004, his family "adopted" me lol and the rest is history I guess.

I feel blessed to be able to go again this year, I've been waiting for this for the last 51 weeks....not a word of lie.

Just spoke with these super nice folks and they told me the deer are starting to get on the move, colder temps, 4 inches of white stuff on the ground, they saw a big bodied deer at first light walk right at the end of the drive, not sure if it were a whitie or a mulie.

Just spoke with Moosebuck who's out there right now but further up North in the Fringe and if he's not BSing me, they have killed today 2 160s and a 150 (moosebuck's).

I'll get more details later, they're hanging the deer right now. One guy in their party hasn't killed yet.

I guess there's a couple of 15 pointers, one has acorn tips, very junky, really glad for my bud who got it, moose hunts with us every year and he desserves it...

Keep you posted if I get pics.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I couldn't go hunting today, the boyz were in the finals (Basketball), but I got my gift anyway, driving out to the gym this morning at 9:10AM, my sons yells there's a deer in the ditch with his head down...immediately I go into predator mode and ask ''head down?..antlers? to which my son exitedly replied, yes! and it's a big one!

I turned that jeep in a 10ft radius and knew of a culvert road that access the field and I drove in 30ft. My in-laws who were in the car with us tought I was driving us into the ditch and that I had gone mad.

Let me tell you for those who wonder if the rut has kicked in....well in this buck's case, it certainly has. Classic rut behavior, oblivious to me (now I'm out the jeep and 40ft away) head down and sniffing away at a well used deer trail (I had seen 4 does cross there the day before).

I let out a soft buck grunt with my mouth, he just raised his head up, looked at me for a sec, went back to scentchecking. I repeated the scenario with buck grunts 3 more times, and 3 more times he locked on me, perfectly broadside at 15 yards.

I was thinking to myself, if the WMZ would have been opened, I would have been able to get an easy archery shot at this buck.

One of the coolest buck encounters I had in NB, even if I wasn't hunting.

Never tought for a second to snap a picture with my blackberry and gather points for team 10....I'll be on the lookout the rest of the week.

Hope he looks right and left before crossing the road, beautiful ivory tined perfect 8, 20 inch spread, 6 inches G2s, guestimate him to be a 3.5yr old deer with his best years ahead of him.

Sure hope he makes it and comes visit my backyard for a photo opp next month...

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a few pics I took at Link's Taxidermy in Saskatoon in 2009 (with the owner's permission) for your viewing pleasure. Some real nice deer:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi bulleye we are still in sask I killed a 14 point scores 140. Mario killed nontypical 15 pointer scores 160. Dino 12 point monster that scores 176. And jaques killed a 10 point scores 137. In all we had agreat trip can't wait to get home and show pics....see ya in 4 days..

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey there RD, you gotta love the internet to keep in touch eh?

Got your text message with the pic, but I can't forward it to my PC or zoom on it.

I'm assuming the middle one is Dino's based on the final scores you're giving out.

A big congrats goes to all the gang in camp, have a drink on me (only one lol!) and get some good footage and enjoy every minute out there.

Some primetime bucks you got there.

Read a few posts up for my chance encounter this morning on Kelly's Hill. Saw Ron at Tim's and told him all about it. Tought he would be out with your dad?

Marc just called me and they did the rounds tonite scouting, they saw 15 deer, of which 8 were bucks, and 6 were shooters.

Shooters for Marc are 130 and up.

The winter roads in the fields are a disaster, I guess I have to try and find a rental 4x4 on short notice, as we won't be able to drive around with the 4x2 if we get a fast thaw.

When are you getting back? I'll prepare a welcoming party LOL!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moosebuck and his posse got back last nite at 2:00AM with some monsters from out West. Pics to follow soon I would think.

One of the guys shot a 175 incher...

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My bud called me this morning from Sask; he excitedly told me he was glassing a bedded buck and a hot doe, some 700 yards away, from the 2nd floor bedroom window of the farm house!

They saw the big buck and the estreous doe walk to the middle of this 100acre field and just bed down in the snow covered desert.

They figure his antlers are 3 inches past his hears on each side, which to me indicates a 23 to 24 inch spread, real impressive.

The owner of the house has a resident tag and could have gone after the buck, but he wants to hold off and wait for the rest of the gang to get there next week, in hopes that one of us ''young lads'' as he calls us gets him

I repeatidly thanked him over the phone and told him he should go after him, to which he simply replied: what's the fun in that?, we'll wait 'till you Eastern Boys show up, then will try to have a poke at him..

Real classy guy!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got back last nite from my Sask hunt. All in all a great hunt again with 6 hunters out of 8 in camp bucked out.

Will try to post pics of deer and scenery shots later when I get a chance.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Cant wait to see the pics!!! If anyone ever cancels on your trip I WANT IN...LOL

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well here goes, a few more deer hunting stories to help us all with our withdrawal phase which we all go thru at this time of year lol!

I just got back from my 2010 Saskatchewan deer hunt and we had a great time. All in all, 6 out of 8 hunters bagged a buck in camp on this 6 day long late season rifle hunt in the Prairies.

The day before the season was spent scouting, and my host took us in to see a deer that had been shot by a poacher a few days prior on his neighbor's property. The big 5x5 antlers were sawed off, here's what was left of the carcass after 3 days of coyotes and magpies munching:

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The first day proved to be eventful to say the least. Over 45 different deer observed, but not many bucks in the fields in the AM. At around 5PM, a half hour before legal time, I spotted a buck in a second growth alfafa field where we had permission to hunt, but the shot angle was less than safe.

I told my brother, who had never shot a buck before, that we could pull this off if he listened to me and so we did a perfect stalk to bridge the gap to about 175 yards, downwind and hidden by only a fence line and 2ft high switchgrass, oh, and a foot of snow, which made for a perfect stealth.

When we got into position for the only safe shot in this field, which is due South, I told my brother to use the fork of a small Aspen as a solid rest, as his bi-pods would not be long enough in the tall grass for a prone position shot. There was 10 minutes of legal time left and he tought that the deer had spooked. I re-assured him he was still there, feeding our way, I then glassed him with my telescope at 9 power, saw tall G2s and good mass and told him he was a nice buck but that it only was.....POW!....the first day!

Long story short, he made a perfect shot, deer dropped in his tracks, his first buck ever, we got to share this together, it was already icing on the cake for me, couldn't ask for anything more. After tagging procedures and retrieval to the farm (we don't gut on site for CWD contamination risk), I took the following pic of the lucky hunter; buck no. 1

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fast forward to day 2. After driving around in the early morning, one of the guys in camp saw a nice buck on the trail of a hot doe enter a bush on a property we had access.

At 10AM back at the farm, a strategy was deployed to ''push the bush'', a local tactic out West that consist of a group of hunters either walking directly thru or wishboning a bush that might hold deer, with standers (hunters on post) at the ready if a deer comes out at the other end. Of course, you are not allowed to swing on a deer and shoot everywhere, safety is a big issue.

This was a relatively small bush, 2 guys ligthly pushed it, with a doe coming out the North side, and this big 8 pointer trying to sneak out the South side. A couple of well placed shot sealed his faith:

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Day 3 produced the following buck on a spot and stalk. The hunter made a couple of well placed shots with his thrusty .270 in 130gr at 275 yards. The shell shock and mushrooming of this bullet in this deer was absolutely incredible, with an exit wound of 4 inches.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Day 4 produced a nice 8 pointer during the morning hunt (sorry I don't have any pics). I was accompanying one of the guys who had to leave that nite to go to the Grey Cup (had he known the Rider's would loose...
he would have likely stayed).

Although we were able to crawl to a group of 20 deer or so feeding in a second growth alfafa field, no ethical shots were possible and he ended up eating tag soup. The local scenery more than made up for it although, here are just a few pics we took me and him on that day:

A lone photogenic sharp tailed grouse that stuck long enough for a photo shoot; 15 feet:

A fleeing mulie doe, one of 8 in a group we jumped from a 2 man push.

A lone bald eagle patiently waiting for the next gut pile:

An unbelievable flock of 15 sharpies munching on grain in mid-day!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts