New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year i bought a savage 116 fcss in a 270wsm witch a am very pleased with and i put a bushnell elite 3200 with the doa600 reticle and is was sighted in last year with in 7 shots. But this year i shot 22 shots and i left the range with it not sighted in. I was not a happy camper but i did not want to waste anymore shells because they are not cheep. I was wondering what you guys thought? In my opinion the scope is junk. Any suggestions what kind of scope i should get to put on it ??

·
Registered
323 Posts
That sucks! I would check your mounts and rings before you turf the scope. Things might need tightening up or adjusted or depending on the quality of the mounts etc, it might not be strong enough for the gun. If that isn't the cause and the scope is a dud, take it back to the shop you bought it from or e-mail the company directly.

If you have to get a new scope, you won't go wrong with a Nikon, Burris, Vortex and a host of others.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Maybe if you described what you saw at the range when you were shooting and from how far someone could be of some help to you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i shot 3 from 50 yards and they were about 2 inches to the right and 2 inches down and was really conistance there so i adjusted the scope to bring it closer to bulleye and after i did that everything went to hell i was not even hitting the target at 50 yards after that ( and yes i move the dials the right way ) after about 5 shots i got it hitting paper again so i moved and i was about a inch to the right and good for up and down so i moved back to 100 yards and it was like i was starting from scratch i was not even hitting the target again so after frigging with it for a little bit more i got it so it was good left and right and about 3 inches down

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
did you take the scope off and check the screws on the bases yet along with the screws on the rings

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey,try using a little locktite glue(red bottle) on mount and ring screws.holds them tite and doesn't harden you can easily remove them if you have to.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well it's hard to say. One of my guns is a 270 WSM and I don't know what you were shooting for ammo but roughly speaking if I was to re scope the thing I'd be looking for it to end up about 3 inches high at 100 ... Following bore-sighting I'd look for it to be dead on at say 25 yards that should also be about right for 265 -270 yards and about 3 inches high at 100. These are rough numbers for illustrative purposes I'm not looking at the ballistic tables right now but they are close .... and I just did it a few weeks ago so it's fresh in my mind.

From your description I'd say you moved the dials 8 or so clicks each way to correct what you saw originally .... then it all went to hell.

I've shaken a screw loose before and my experience is what you have described. A 100 yard sight in sized target without holes in it at 50 yards. Very dramatic. I also witnessed a guy with a 338 Lapua destroy a scope (recoil) with 3 shots. also dramatic ! I've seen groups grow quite substantially when the barrel needed cleaning and particularly when the copper fouling gets built up and sometimes a particular gun just doesn't like a specific load or bullet weight. I have a 223 that with 45 or 55 grain you can practically light a match with it but 67 -70 grain and up and it will consistently key hole at 25 yards even though my barrel is 1 in 9 twist it simply doesn't like the heavier bullets.

I will say that if I was to shoot at 100 yards with a fixed 3 power scope ... the holes would wander a bit just because of my eyesight. The firefly reticle is great in low light at closer ranges and I think it is an ingenious design but it is a fairly thick cross-hair that can cover your bullseye completely at 100 yards. None of this will make much difference with a deer sized target but it is easy to observe on paper.

I'd say to know for sure have someone else take a look at your rings and screws and have it bore sighted ... at $70 a box this is a less expensive way to get started. Make sure you are shooting the same load that you were successful with last year and again it wouldn't hurt to have someone else with you to make sure that the flinch isn't an issue. If it starts shooting well and you are hitting where you aim it consistently for 3 to 5 shots move your cross hairs around a bit to make sure that it will shoot 3 inches to the right and or left up -down etc from your point of aim ... and then move it back exactly to where you started and it should be shooting right where it was.

If it won't do this your scope is pooched and in need of warranty / repair work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts